Water change... NSW or salt mix?

raydiative

Water change... NSW or salt mix?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys use NSW or salt mix for your water change?

• NSW
    • Salt Mix

• SRC Member

a question here...

can we keep NSW over a period of time until we need it??

as in, do we have to do water change ASAP once we reach home to prevent the nutrients loss from NSW over time???

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nutrients loss from NSW....think unlikely if there isnt any "live organism" consuming it.....

some bros here adviced not to keep for too long...definition ...subjective...maybe 2 days? if want to keep longer, must put air stone.....

personally, i keep them for around 2 weeks....never air them.....using this method for almost a year plus...

however, experienced a near tank crash as 2 to 3 fishes died......however, the reason was unknown as my AT died of infection and wrasse stucked in pipe for days.....so all this might have contributed......think you better keep your black clown, their body seems to react fast to poor water......developed white on their black body....recovered after 3 to 4 water change at 2 to 3 days regular interval.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

u can keep the nsw if u put in some LRs and put in a power head, basically ur just keeping the bacteria alive but not for too long also as there is no food source for them (Nh4 from fish ) they will still die and degrade water quality , thats y i am still a salt mix fan, make 100l of di water for 2 hours , throw in 3kg of salt ,

leave it to run with a powerhead for 24 hours and ready to water change, but i always have a spare 100l for emergencies

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member

For me i opt for nsw, is because my kitchen do not have toilet..new hdb design and its back breaking for me to everytime buy water from ntuc...but i realised it is also back breaking carrying 30 litres of nsw in a jellycan...but it saves me a lot of time and trips to ntuc and having to mix the salt here and there.

I have used nsw purchased from sealife and aquamarin, so far no problem...anyway, dun expect to have any "live" bacteria la...the nsw are prepared days before.

You want to have live bacteria, just dose those from the bottles loh...brands like fritz.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Actually my understanding is that NSW has live organisms like plankton and micro algae in it, which is why you need to aerate the water if keeping for more than a day. It is the plankton and micro organisms that seem to "revitalise" the tank a little when you change.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
I have used nsw purchased from sealife and aquamarin, so far no problem...anyway, dun expect to have any "live" bacteria la...the nsw are prepared days before.

You want to have live bacteria, just dose those from the bottles loh...brands like fritz.

Bro, you are aware that AM's water is salt mix and not NSW right? Not true that NSW doesn't have bacteria, since the sea is the natural source of the water, it contains spieces/strains of bacteria that don't exist in packaged form.

As for whether the LFS store it correctly or possess the water for how long, it is up to you to find out. Personally, I know when the LFS I go to "top up" their water from the supplier, so I buy close to those days. As long as they keep the water running and oxygenated, the water is considered "fresh" lah :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys after reading this poll about seawater vs salt mix im kinda undecided on which to use. i actually purchased a DI unit and two packs of salt for future water change. but looks like NSW is pretty cheap and gd too... not to mention convenient in its own way.. question is can i just collect seawater from the beach or it is better to purchase them from LFS. do the lfs treat them to make it safer?

Hooked since March 2009

• SRC Member

I think there was an NEA circular some time back warning against swimming in cartain beaches right? LOL!

The water from the beach would usually be nutrient rich and full of pollutants like industrial run off. Remember we have heavy industries like off shore oil refinery, reclamation projects etc. Water that is collected further out at sea is cleaner.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

I think there was an NEA circular some time back warning against swimming in cartain beaches right? LOL!

The water from the beach would usually be nutrient rich and full of pollutants like industrial run off. Remember we have heavy industries like off shore oil refinery, reclamation projects etc. Water that is collected further out at sea is cleaner.

oic.. so u mean those seawater they sell in LFS are collected furthur out?

Hooked since March 2009

• SRC Member
oic.. so u mean those seawater they sell in LFS are collected furthur out?

Depends on where you buy it from, and who supplies them. Better to ask them where their water is sourced from. Also check out how they store the water.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

hi bro.

i koe a friend who kept a couple of clowns and damsel n a 2 ft tank.. he had been doing it for 2 yrs, using overhead filter.. simple fowlr... totally no skimmer at all... and his clowns seems very happy.... he told me that he collect sea water for his waterchange as his office is just less than 100m from the seaside...

Any brothers encounter this? is it possible to keep a fowlr or a reef tank with no skimmer at all, providing water change is by the sea water collection? Thought of doing so as my office is also steps from a jetty... i believe the watersare rather safe as i had seen before bannerfish in groups near my jetty...

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Tunze DOC 9006 DOC protein skimmer

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

• SRC Member
hi bro.

i koe a friend who kept a couple of clowns and damsel n a 2 ft tank.. he had been doing it for 2 yrs, using overhead filter.. simple fowlr... totally no skimmer at all... and his clowns seems very happy.... he told me that he collect sea water for his waterchange as his office is just less than 100m from the seaside...

Any brothers encounter this? is it possible to keep a fowlr or a reef tank with no skimmer at all, providing water change is by the sea water collection? Thought of doing so as my office is also steps from a jetty... i believe the watersare rather safe as i had seen before bannerfish in groups near my jetty...

You can collect also from laborador park, the waters there are quite clean...there's a slope which leads to the open waters which you can collect down there.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Here's the NEA advisory for water quality:

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/topics_rwq.aspx

In general, I think as a very dense city, the waters off our shore is very dirty, just think of the longkang water that streams into the sea, the sediments left behind by ships, the factories at Tuas and refinery at Jurong Island that uses sea water for cooling or cleaning :sick:

According to the NEA guidelines, I think Sentosa has the cleanest water, Pasir Ris the worst.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
where do you buy your NSW? do you treat the NSW first before using them?

I buy my water from T95, Reborn and sometimes Iwarna. I don't treat them before using, what kind of treatment are you talking about? Anyway, any LFS that sells sea water should have a proper and dedicated storage facility/tank that is separate from the display tanks with the proper filtration methods employed to keep the water "fresh" and free of sediments.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
UV? to kill parasites?

Hahaha, too much trouble for something that's uncertain. UV doesn't kill all parasites completely, and I think the amount of suspended free swimming parasites in water is nothing compared to what is found in live rocks or live stock. If that is the worry, the whole tank should be treated with UV and not just newly bought water.

There is no way to make sure your tank is completely sterile, so no point worrying so much. My personal opinion is that the benefits of natural water far outweighs the risk of parasites. I just practice proper quarantine procedures now and make sure that my fish are well fed and healthy.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

I always have a good supply of NSW with me just in case I need to do any immediate water changes. NSW gets my vote.

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

• SRC Member
I always have a good supply of NSW with me just in case I need to do any immediate water changes. NSW gets my vote.

how u store bro? :eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member
how u store bro? :eyebrow:

i stored them in a jellycan.

When i bought nsw initially from sealife and AM, they came in jellycan.

But now i stopped buying nsw, coz i dun drive and too much for me to carry. pple tot i am carrying chemicals or something.

So, right now i am back to salt mix and i stored them in those jelly cans.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
i stored them in a jellycan.

When i bought nsw initially from sealife and AM, they came in jellycan.

But now i stopped buying nsw, coz i dun drive and too much for me to carry. pple tot i am carrying chemicals or something.

So, right now i am back to salt mix and i stored them in those jelly cans.

hmm is sometimes take bus with jerry cans still have stares

do u put an air stone in the can?

or just leave it there until u want to use? :thanks::eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg