Water change... NSW or salt mix?

raydiative

Water change... NSW or salt mix?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys use NSW or salt mix for your water change?

• NSW
    • Salt Mix

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as what is stated before for salt mix is that you can be 80% sure of free from unwanted stuff inside the mixture but alot of esseential for fishes also not really there.

as for NSW is that u does not know what are you getting inside there but good is that bacteria that benifit the fishes is more and easier to start off

• SRC Member

NSW contains minute traces of ALL the known minerals and elements in the world. This cannot be replicated 100% by the best salt mix in the market, not to mention the beneficial bacteria, plankton, micro organisms.

Salt mix is practically sterile, so depending on how you look at it, it can be either a good (parasite and disease free, can keep indefinitely compared to NSW which needs aeration if you need to store for more than a day) or bad thing (lack of bacteria, micro organisms that are beneficial to the reef). The essential elements for colour and growth are also pumped up to optimised levels.

NSW is logically the best option, what else provides the best natural environment for corals and marine fishes than... their natural environment. The problem is, most, if not all of the NSW sold locally is from surrounding waters which we all know is far from pollution free. I know that NSW bought from the same LFS can contain differing levels of NO3 and PO4 from week to week :P

It all comes down to cost and preference in the end. A good salt mix is several times more expensive than NSW, litre for litre. But NSW is hard to transport and store if your water change routine requires large quantities of it.

I personally find that my nutrient levels are more stable when I use NSW. I only started getting algae issues after using salt mix. The NO3 level in my tank climbed to 25ppm, when it was previously 5 to 10ppm. It was maintained with 100% NSW previously, but I decided to change to salt mix for a while cos I liked how freshly mixed salt water is crystal clear and shimmers more hahaha :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Actually i tot of switching to NSW as i do water change fortnightly so its quite tiring purchasing distilled water from NTUC and doing the salt mixing.

The only thing i m concerned is the PO level and whether NSW will raise my nutrient level.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Actually i tot of switching to NSW as i do water change fortnightly so its quite tiring purchasing distilled water from NTUC and doing the salt mixing.

The only thing i m concerned is the PO level and whether NSW will raise my nutrient level.

I didn't really test for anything else, but NTUC water contains 2ppm of NO3, which is similar to fresh NSW which is usually between 2 to 5ppm. Considering that your hand will touch the water when mixing, all the minerals from your hand like sweat and dead cells will dissolve in the water too, adding more nutrients — pure water is a very powerful solvent ;)

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
besides Irwana, anyone else know which other LFS can i get NSW from???

or issit every LFS sells NSW... haha..

I believe all farms sell NSW. Reborn is the only LFS I know that sells fresh sea water, Aquastar too, but when you see the quality of the livestock swimming inside the same tanks holding the water, you will think twice about buying water from them haha.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
I believe all farms sell NSW. Reborn is the only LFS I know that sells fresh sea water, Aquastar too, but when you see the quality of the livestock swimming inside the same tanks holding the water, you will think twice about buying water from them haha.

Sealife got sell also...it's by the jellycan...so dun attempt to take a bus.

Look like i will be switching to NSW...coz i used the distilled water from NTUC, i still encounter diatoms...so must well use nsw...wat the heck!

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Sealife got sell also...it's by the jellycan...so dun attempt to take a bus.

Look like i will be switching to NSW...coz i used the distilled water from NTUC, i still encounter diatoms...so must well use nsw...wat the heck!

Yup, I also got red slime and diatoms only after switching to salt mix, had no problems with NSW.

In fact, my nutrient levels were more easily managed with NSW, the nitrifying process seemed to be better — my tank then was skimmerless and had a higher bio-load, filtration was purely biological. With salt mix, my nitrates climbed very quickly even though I had less fish and fed half the amount.

I think in a nano tank, it is easier to observe and elimate the external factors that affect nutrient levels :P Gonna slowly switch back to NSW now..

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
Yup, I also got red slime and diatoms only after switching to salt mix, had no problems with NSW.

In fact, my nutrient levels were more easily managed with NSW, the nitrifying process seemed to be better — my tank then was skimmerless and had a higher bio-load, filtration was purely biological. With salt mix, my nitrates climbed very quickly even though I had less fish and fed half the amount.

I think in a nano tank, it is easier to observe and elimate the external factors that affect nutrient levels :P Gonna slowly switch back to NSW now..

lol.. i'm doing around 20% water change every weekend using salt mix.. been carrying the bottles and bottles of distilled water till back breaking liao...

just switch to NSW last weekend.. IMO.. much cheaper, much easier... but just wondering if the essential elements for corals are lacking in the NSW??

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

The water parameters will depend on where the farm get their water from and how fresh it is, cos organisms may die off during transport or storage. Here's a repost of Thexder's findings from another thread on water from CF:

Bought NSW from CF today to do water change. Found out that my tank has been running with 50ppm of NO3 for the past few months <_< No wonder my corals start to die. Now not sure where the high NO3 come from, but did water change today to alleviate the problem. I suspect could be due to the distilled water that I buy?

Anyway, did a test on CF's NSW. Can use this as a reference if you decide to get NSW.

Ph - 8.1

Kh - 1.5meq (quite low)

NO3 - 10ppm (high side)

PO4 - 1ppm

Ca - 376ppm

Mg - 1200ppm

Sg - 1.024

1 packet ~ 40L

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
It is back breaking alright...coz on avg i buy 6 bottles each time, sometimes 9 bottles at one go....damn heavy...and at least 3 times a week.

so i think i only make sense i shd use nsw....

I buy by the carton, easier to carry in a box than in plastic bags haha. Sometimes I will order in bulk from NTUC together with groceries and get them to deliver, only $5 to $8 extra.

For NSW, I use a collapsible jerry can, those used for camping. Can fold and keep in my bag when not in use.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
It is back breaking alright...coz on avg i buy 6 bottles each time, sometimes 9 bottles at one go....damn heavy...and at least 3 times a week.

so i think i only make sense i shd use nsw....

haha.. same same...

• SRC Member

Can't agree more with Aquastar's livestock. Sad for those fishes ended up there. Hope they improve the current condition.

Back to NSW, it's really good esp if you are talking about huge quantity of water change or for tank set up. l don't get diatoms and red slime problems when l got mine from Irwana. Also cut the hassle of mixing and using vast quantity of DI water.

• SRC Member

I use NSW from Irwana and once from CF. Irwana is still the most economical for me. Tested the more important parameters... Of course the parameters will fluctuate with time. This is only just an indication of what you might be getting.

• SRC Member

NSW is quite convenient except if you have RO/DI unit.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

so generally NSW is a better choice???

i always get stares from the cashier auntie at NTUC whenever i drag like 12bottles of distilled water to the counter..

haha... always help them "clear" their shelves...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
so generally NSW is a better choice???

i always get stares from the cashier auntie at NTUC whenever i drag like 12bottles of distilled water to the counter..

haha... always help them "clear" their shelves...

You are too sensitive lah, I've never gotten any stares when I buy large quantities of distilled water, except from people who are whacking many bottles too.

If you want to talk about stares and strange looks, you should see the looks I got when I walked past a meet the MP session at my void deck a few months back, carrying a jerry can sloshing with "suspicious" looking liquid. LOL!

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

I use a trolley to carry the jerry can to save my back. I do sometimes encounter curious people asking me what the contents are.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

i have encounter distilled water out of stock at ntuc...quite frustrating...anyway, i'm switching to nsw.

the funny thing is, i called sealife and asked if they have nsw...and the guy answered me.."huh?!...wat is nsw???"..then i told him, it's salt water...."oh i c, yes we have..."..haha...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
i have encounter distilled water out of stock at ntuc...quite frustrating...anyway, i'm switching to nsw.

the funny thing is, i called sealife and asked if they have nsw...and the guy answered me.."huh?!...wat is nsw???"..then i told him, it's salt water...."oh i c, yes we have..."..haha...

lol... hmmm.... seems like only about 20% of the reefers here uses NSW for their water change...

• SRC Member
You are too sensitive lah, I've never gotten any stares when I buy large quantities of distilled water, except from people who are whacking many bottles too.

If you want to talk about stares and strange looks, you should see the looks I got when I walked past a meet the MP session at my void deck a few months back, carrying a jerry can sloshing with "suspicious" looking liquid. LOL!

hahhaah this one really made me laugh

hehehe cause people also feel that jerry can is to transport fuel or some harmful materials

haha lucky u didnt walk in the meet the mp session area if not later soc must come hehehe :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg