Need expert advise on Setting up a Newbie Tank

Hi Guys,

I would like to set-up a FOWLR tank of the followings:

1. Arylic Tank: 2ft x 1ft x 1.5ft H

2. ##### Quick Start System (http://www.jirehmarine.com/index.php?module=Content&func=viewpub&tid=2&pid=2)

3. PL light

4. 1-2 inch sand bed

5. Live (cured) rocks

6. Marine fishes

a) Blue Tangs x 2

B) Maroon Clown x 2

c) Yellow Tangs x 2

d) Camel Shrimp x 2

e) Yellow Spotted Boxfish x 2

I need advise:

1. Is the equipment (Item 1-3) sufficient for a budget tank set-up?

2. What filter media should I used?

3. Will the tank size be sufficient for the marine lives mentioned above?

4. Can someone please advise if 500 Sing Dollars is sufficient for this simple set-up?

• SRC Member

HI Bro

4 tangs in a 2ft tang can be challenging. Besides yellow and blue (regal) tangs grow fast. Very soon it will out grow your tank size.

As for box fish, keep with care as they can release toxic when threaten or stress.

• SRC Member

Maroon clowns quite aggressive.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

HI Bro

4 tangs in a 2ft tang can be challenging. Besides yellow and blue (regal) tangs grow fast. Very soon it will out grow your tank size.

As for box fish, keep with care as they can release toxic when threaten or stress.

Thanks. In this case, maybe I will reduce the community size to:

6. Marine fishes

a) Blue Tangs x 2

B) Maroon Clown x 2

c) Camel Shrimp x 2

Hey Jyoon, any idea if I am able to get the whole tank up within a 500 dollars budget?

Any comment on the Quick Start System?

Thanks for your advise.

think is possible. just need to be patience in your setup and wait for good deals or free stuff. The expensive equipment will be your skimmer but there are bros here selling good and cheap skimmers but you need to determine what you want....hang on, out or in sump. For rocks, there are ppl who give out free or if you dont mind, can always go sea side to take...some are nice but abit heavy.....for sand, when ppl decom, likely they are willing to give for free. For PL light, just search ard in here or other fish keeping forum. since is a fowlr, lightset is for viewing only. The fishes you are looking for arent expensive.....

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

think is possible. just need to be patience in your setup and wait for good deals or free stuff. The expensive equipment will be your skimmer but there are bros here selling good and cheap skimmers but you need to determine what you want....hang on, out or in sump. For rocks, there are ppl who give out free or if you dont mind, can always go sea side to take...some are nice but abit heavy.....for sand, when ppl decom, likely they are willing to give for free. For PL light, just search ard in here or other fish keeping forum. since is a fowlr, lightset is for viewing only. The fishes you are looking for arent expensive.....

Hi Solo77

Thanks for your comments.

As I am a newbie into this hobby, I am wondering if the Quickstart system works for a small set-up tank. This Quickstart system is a hang on method. I am not going to have a sump.

Do you think I can even get the sand from beachside, says Sentosa?

• SRC Member

For FOWLR of this size, a $500 budget is possible. To cut costs further(in terms of electricity, initial setup), you can use normal fluoroscent bulbs instead of PLs.

I would like to make some suggestions regarding the stocking.

I would suggest skipping the Tangs entirely and keep something else. Tangs are active fishes and a 2x1.5x1.5 is too small to keep any of them long term. The smallest you should go is 3x2x2, the bigger the better.

Maroon clownfish are aggressive, if you intend to keep two, I would suggest buying them as a mated pair(usually from reefers or a trusted LFS) and adding them last of all. Buying any two maroon clownfish and keeping them in the same tank would be disastrous if the fish don't pair up, it is likely the two fish will end up fighting.

Instead of the Tangs, if your looking for fish that stay out in the open, you can look at fishes like chromis, cardinalfish, firefish. These are generally easy fish that do well in a 2x1.5x1.5(even long term). I would suggest avoiding the colourful damsels as these fish are too aggressive.

I would suggest not getting any sand from any of our beaches as it is illegal. There's also a risk of pollution as our coastal waters are not that clean.

not a user for quickstart system, hence cant comment but pls chk to ensure though hang on, is it taking yr tank space or hang externally. if you got the budget to get a brand new quickstart, you can get a proven and effective skimmer like aquamedic. bro leonisation (hope i remember correctly) is selling one. actually base on yr stock list, a prizm may support yr tank, with constant water chge, should be ok.

Hi Solo77

Thanks for your comments.

As I am a newbie into this hobby, I am wondering if the Quickstart system works for a small set-up tank. This Quickstart system is a hang on method. I am not going to have a sump.

Do you think I can even get the sand from beachside, says Sentosa?

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

For FOWLR of this size, a $500 budget is possible. To cut costs further(in terms of electricity, initial setup), you can use normal fluoroscent bulbs instead of PLs.

I would like to make some suggestions regarding the stocking.

I would suggest skipping the Tangs entirely and keep something else. Tangs are active fishes and a 2x1.5x1.5 is too small to keep any of them long term. The smallest you should go is 3x2x2, the bigger the better.

Maroon clownfish are aggressive, if you intend to keep two, I would suggest buying them as a mated pair(usually from reefers or a trusted LFS) and adding them last of all. Buying any two maroon clownfish and keeping them in the same tank would be disastrous if the fish don't pair up, it is likely the two fish will end up fighting.

Instead of the Tangs, if your looking for fish that stay out in the open, you can look at fishes like chromis, cardinalfish, firefish. These are generally easy fish that do well in a 2x1.5x1.5(even long term). I would suggest avoiding the colourful damsels as these fish are too aggressive.

I would suggest not getting any sand from any of our beaches as it is illegal. There's also a risk of pollution as our coastal waters are not that clean.

Thank Kalib.

Since this set-up is not suitable for plently of fishes, would it be better if I go for more shrimps? or how about having a starfish?

not a user for quickstart system, hence cant comment but pls chk to ensure though hang on, is it taking yr tank space or hang externally. if you got the budget to get a brand new quickstart, you can get a proven and effective skimmer like aquamedic. bro leonisation (hope i remember correctly) is selling one. actually base on yr stock list, a prizm may support yr tank, with constant water chge, should be ok.

It will take up the tank space. I have went down to ##### yesterday to look at their live tank maintained by the quickstart system, which is less than 200. This quickstart system has a skimmer, filtration and a pump compartment. It is like a "all-in-one" system, which I think might be cheaper and more convenient compared to getting separate equipment (to a newbie point of view).

By the way, what do you mean by " a prizm may support yr tank"

• SRC Member

Yes definintely, shrimps are good choices for small tanks.

I'm not really sure about starfish, from what i've read seems that some of them that are typically offered in the aquarium trade feed on natural foods(like worms, pods). They may not do so well in such a small tank and starve to death eventually. There are also some that get a little too big for a 2x1.5x1.5 like the chocolate chip starfish.

Hi, i have 2 quarantine tanks(fowlr also) and i am using skimmer, wavemaker, light and liverocks. For nano tank, personally i think you dont need a filter but a good skimmer. Regular water change is good and you just need to siphon out the waste regularly. For the quickstart, i think you must understand it is not a short cut to reefing as you still need to go through the cycling process and regular maintenance to your tank. The system is just a good all in one system. For its effectiveness, maybe you can search for review. Pro for all in one...neat and Con for all in one.....one down, all might be down.

What i am referring is red sea prizm may be able to support your tank. Someone selling $70 with surface skimmer, seems a good buy. Then if you dont mind, buy one hang on or canister filter for less than $50. You will spend only $120 for a filter system and skimmer.

Hope this help. : )

It will take up the tank space. I have went down to ##### yesterday to look at their live tank maintained by the quickstart system, which is less than 200. This quickstart system has a skimmer, filtration and a pump compartment. It is like a "all-in-one" system, which I think might be cheaper and more convenient compared to getting separate equipment (to a newbie point of view).

Algae Scrubbler

Oh well, when setting up a marine tank, you need to invest in some important equipment:

Tank: get a glass one. I got an acrylic tank of the same dimensions and it started to buldge (not that bad, but noticable) after 8 months. try this:

http://freshnmarine.com.sg/estore/product_...products_id/795

the review is actually mine. Pay 10 bucks more and have it delivered to your doorstep. Dunno how reliable it is, but i definitely beats the acrylic one

Protein skimmer: reef octopus (DNW110) (200 bucks ++?) or a dymax RS is you really cannot fit budget. Feeder pump ehim $30 get a good one. don't skimp on this piece of equipment.

DI unit - crystal pro (single canister). the prices are around the same everywhere. should be +-125

Wavemaker - seio is a good brand. get a seio prop

Lighting: get it generic. T5 2x24 or a PL (1x55) may also want to consider indulging in a moonlight for effect. A timer is good if you don't want to manually do everything. well worth the money.

Additives. It really helps in a marine tank. for a fish only tank with a few hardy corals...umm... (seachem brand) marine buffer, reef advantage calcium (for shrimp), trace elements, activated carbon (may want to get pura activated carbon. it is cheaper, i think) get from clementi. cheapest.

Get a generic filter. HOB will do. Just have the water pass through some media so that all the solids are filtered out. around 20 bucks.

And as i always say, no harm putting a few hardy corals in your tank. Mushroom and leather coral should will fit nicely. low lighting requirements, no feeding required. very forgiving. perfect. just make sure you flow rate is not too high...Get a few hermits crabs as well, blue legged. and a pacific cleaner shrimp for itch.

And if your tank is heavily stocked with fish, you may want to be prepared to buy a UV steriliser....

and advice on sand: 0 grade sand is the nicest.

I cannot really advise you on fish compatiblity, but yes, a 2 footer is a little too small for tangs. You may want to consider replacing your maroon clowns with a tomato clown (very heady) or the common clown. Get some chromis when your tank is settled down. They are quite nice.

have fun toggling with the prices. i also have a 'budget' tank and my best advice is not to buy the cheapest thing there is in the market as they are not always the best (and you will be forced to upgrade, waste of money).

Please read up MORE as I can feel you are very new to this hobby.

Whatever equipment needed, you will understand the pro & con of them after you done some homework.

Most important equipment in my sense will be the live rocks.

Good luck & have fun

Btw, im no expert. Juz a leisure reefer.

• SRC Member

The quick start system is fine for use with small tanks probably up to 3ft. I am using the quick start system with my 2ft marine aquarium without any issues for the past 2 months.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

My redsea prism has also served my 2ft tank for close for 6 months. Notwithstanding the fact ML is also using that in one of his display tanks(not sure how hardworking he is in maintaining his tank though.....as it definitely help).

Algae Scrubbler

Hi Guys,

I would like to set-up a FOWLR tank of the followings:

1. Arylic Tank: 2ft x 1ft x 1.5ft H

2. ##### Quick Start System (http://www.jirehmarine.com/index.php?module=Content&func=viewpub&tid=2&pid=2)

3. PL light

4. 1-2 inch sand bed

5. Live (cured) rocks

6. Marine fishes

a) Blue Tangs x 2

B) Maroon Clown x 2

c) Yellow Tangs x 2

d) Camel Shrimp x 2

e) Yellow Spotted Boxfish x 2

Hi,

2. Yes, for now go for the Quick start system, it's hassle free and a good all-in-one for newbie. U'll slowly learn wat skimmers, filtration to choose as u upgrade in future. For filtration media use High grade Activated Carbon should suffice.

3. Seriously u can skip the light first, get everything set up and running den u can decide wat lights to get with your leftover budget since it's a FOWLR and lights is the least important. Jux dun get strong lights, if not chiller plan will come in.

4. Best to go without sand. Sand will trap detritus, so u need will extra wave circulation thru wavemaker. If not for aesthetic purpose only, keep a very thin layer will do. But good water circulation will be beneficial for livestocks in the long run, so consider getting a koralia 2 if u've the budget for one.

5. Liverocks provide good biological filtration, so get as much as u can and scape them nicely in the tank. See the buy/sell forum, there are always pple selling.

6. Limit to 2 tangs, best if u can jux keep one. Forget about the box fish. Clowns are ok, but do note maroon clown is the most aggressive of all clowns so if i was u i'll go for true percula. Camel and skunk shrimps are good options. Dun keep starfish, go for hermit crabs instead. Other good fishes will be chromis, firefish, flasher wrasse and pgymy angels. Your tank can be stock with more varities of smaller fishes rather den jux a few big tangs and clowns will give a more vibrant feel.

$500 is definitely enough to set up a 2ft. Good luck.

• SRC Member
Maroon clowns quite aggressive.

Understatement of the year LOL! My previous pair of maroon clowns have been known to fight with new corals and live rocks that come within 1ft of their territory - yes, fight - and catch slower fishes to "sacrifice" to their host anemone. They were quite big lah, female was 4.5 inchs long, nevertheless, I will never recommend them to anyone, especially in such a small tank.

Anyway Tino, if I recall correctly, someone was selling the quickstart at a reasonable price in pasar malam earlier this year, Patrick or something, his nick.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
My redsea prism has also served my 2ft tank for close for 6 months. Notwithstanding the fact ML is also using that in one of his display tanks(not sure how hardworking he is in maintaining his tank though.....as it definitely help).

then y u change to mce-600? lol

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

got a mce 600 for my future tank...will be a backup...so transfer my prism to my small nano and sold off the existing prism serving mynano. My nano also not big enough for mc600 also. Best hang on skimmer i encountered so far.

Algae Scrubbler