My Hands On Reefing... 6 Footers

scandics11

Hey Guys,

Finally had the courage to post my tank thread ..Well i must say that some of the fellow brothers have wonderful set-up making me paiseh to post mine...hehehe...

Well, to start, commisioned a 6x2x2 with sump tank 2ft curved tank in Dec 09. See photos.

This was my tank ..back then.. Well It was decomm in Apr 09. Sad!! Sob.. Sob...

Coz decided to build a new custom made 6.5x2.5x2.5 full height cabinet...

post-15999-1247565923.jpg

post-15999-1247565936.jpg

I'll be putting up more photos soon of my new tank soon.... Any comments are welcomed....

If anyone asking the reason why i decomm this tank.

Reason:-

The curve glass is only 6mm thick.

It gives me the worry that one day is might give way well that was what most of my frens said.

Photos of my tank-maker, Mr. Well Known AH HENG setting up the new tank..

post-15999-1247566484.jpg

• SRC Member
Bro,

Din know that your previous tank was only 6mm ... wa lao, u damn lucky it din explode.

All the best for your new setup.

Hey Lim,

Yup it's was an old curve 6 footer which i kept for many years before deciding to set up ... Anyway thanks for the LRs... They are in my 2 feet..which is connected to my main tank now.... Here a photo for your viewing

Any Comments.....?

post-15999-1247587808.jpg

Updates...

Some of my tanks shots..... Having with water clarity.... Hmm.... Tried using Sander C-200 ozonizer maybe should UV light... But How many watts for a six footer...Any suggestion what to do???

WAAAA, My english sucks siakzzz....HEHEHE Lots of missing words.... well was updating in the office and was in a hurry..... Sorry...

Well here it is amendmens to the earlier post...

* Some shots of my tanks..... And currently having water clarity issue.. can't seem to get the water to clear up... always with tiny particles..

Have tried the C-200 Sander Ozonizer... Doesn't seem to help much.... Hear about UV light... But what wattage for a six footer.. Any Suggestion???*

Wah..brother 6 footer...so fast stock up so many fishes liao ar...lolx...look out for signs of stress like ich and breathing difficulties.

But overall, shiok man...its nice to just sit there and watch them swim.

Hey Bro,

Some of fishes and corals are from my old tank 6ft tank .... While the rest are from my close reefer friend whose de-commed and a few from the forum ... So not so worried about stress. But nevertheless still, I will keep a close on my darlings for signs if any.

So far "touch wood".. so good.

Ya boy, My CFO is already complaining not watching the TV with her and always looking at the tank, not at her......LOLX.....HAHAHA

• SRC Member

Ya, saw the orange shoulder swimming happily ... please send my regards to him lah. Miz him lah.

What about the Majestic ?

Bro Lim,

Can find your beloved in the tank picture or not????

"""It seems to be enjoying itself in the tank with the rest...."""

At the rate you are stocking up, soon u need to install traffic light and ERP gantries in your tank ... hahha

Ah Hahaha,

No worries, I have stopped for now.... did I just say for "NOW"..... LOL.. Well if ever I intend to add on... definitely looking at getting an AT.

And if required, will sell away some of my beauties to good homes before stocking up again...

My Current Live Stock Count:

Live Stock

Tangs

1 x Black Long Nose Zebrasoma Rostratum

3 x Yellow Zebrasoma Flavescens

2 x Purple

1 x Brown Zebrasoma Scopas

1 x Sailfin Zebrasoma Veliferum

1 x Sohal Acanthurus Sohal

2 x Blue Regal Paracanthurus Hepatus

1 x Gold Rim Acanthurus Nigricans

1 x Achilles Acanthurus Achilles

1 x Lieutenant / Eyestripe Acanthurus Tennenti / Acanthurus Dussumieri

1 x Kole Ctenochaetus strigosus

1 x Naso

Angels

1 x King Angel Holacanthus Passer

1 x Flame Angel Centropyge Loriculus

Wrasses

1 x Green Halichoeres Chloropterus

1 x Solar Cirrhilabrus Solorensis

1 x Lyre Tail Thalassoma Lunare

Others:

1 pair of Black Clown

1 x False Percula Clown

6 x Blue Green Chromis Chromis Veridis

2 x Fire Shrimp Lysmata debelius

2 x Sexy Shrimp Thor amboinensis

1 x Black Sea Cucumber

1 x Algae Blenny

At the rate you are stocking up, soon u need to install traffic light and ERP gantries in your tank ... hahha

Ah Hahaha,

No worries, I have stopped for now.... did I just say for "NOW"..... LOL.. Well if ever I intend to add on... definitely looking at getting an AT.

And if required, will sell away some of my beauties to good homes before stocking up again...

My Current Live Stock Count:

Live Stock

Tangs

1 x Black Long Nose Zebrasoma Rostratum

3 x Yellow Zebrasoma Flavescens

2 x Purple

1 x Brown Zebrasoma Scopas

1 x Sailfin Zebrasoma Veliferum

1 x Sohal Acanthurus Sohal

2 x Blue Regal Paracanthurus Hepatus

1 x Gold Rim Acanthurus Nigricans

1 x Achilles Acanthurus Achilles

1 x Lieutenant / Eyestripe Acanthurus Tennenti / Acanthurus Dussumieri

1 x Kole Ctenochaetus strigosus

1 x Naso

Angels

1 x King Angel Holacanthus Passer

1 x Flame Angel Centropyge Loriculus

Wrasses

1 x Green Halichoeres Chloropterus

1 x Solar Cirrhilabrus Solorensis

1 x Lyre Tail Thalassoma Lunare

Others:

1 pair of Black Clown

1 x False Percula Clown

6 x Blue Green Chromis Chromis Veridis

2 x Fire Shrimp Lysmata debelius

2 x Sexy Shrimp Thor amboinensis

1 x Black Sea Cucumber

1 x Algae Blenny

Hi Bro, impressive tank you have. Hope you are not using C200 to its max, if yes, you will have to check your ORP and whether your skimmer can take it. I believe your setup was done by professional. For the UV, maybe you got to buy from corallife.....12x...36w....treating up to 300 gallons.....do share how you can introduce power series tangs into your existing tank......wanting to introduce them but my sohal will stress them to death....and cos ich outbreak at times....

nice orange shoulder.....will get mine from CF once my new tank is ready....lol....nice fish but size is one limiting factor.....but think this doesnt apply to you cos of 6 ft tank...impressive...hehe

WAAAA, My english sucks siakzzz....HEHEHE Lots of missing words.... well was updating in the office and was in a hurry..... Sorry...

Well here it is amendmens to the earlier post...

* Some shots of my tanks..... And currently having water clarity issue.. can't seem to get the water to clear up... always with tiny particles..

Have tried the C-200 Sander Ozonizer... Doesn't seem to help much.... Hear about UV light... But what wattage for a six footer.. Any Suggestion???*

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Hi Bro, impressive tank you have. Hope you are not using C200 to its max, if yes, you will have to check your ORP and whether your skimmer can take it. I believe your setup was done by professional. For the UV, maybe you got to buy from corallife.....12x...36w....treating up to 300 gallons.....do share how you can introduce power series tangs into your existing tank......wanting to introduce them but my sohal will stress them to death....and cos ich outbreak at times....

nice orange shoulder.....will get mine from CF once my new tank is ready....lol....nice fish but size is one limiting factor.....but think this doesnt apply to you cos of 6 ft tank...impressive...hehe

Thanks for the comment.. currently using C-200 to its half pointer..... My ORP readings are around 250...and i'm currently using Skimz Monzter SM 250..... The tank was built by a pro I guess but the set-up was on my own, acquiring pointers from fellow reefers and read ups through the net. Hmm coralife 36w.... i 'll give it a try.....

As the introduction of fishes..Through proper planning and decision of the tpye of fishes i wanted to keep....

My existing fishes(from old tank) and newly acquired (especially aggressive species) were introduced together at the same time into the tank(Do take note that I have a second six footer currently a FLWR) Shifted all the corals into the new tank.

As for orange shoulder, have found her to less aggressive and of course I am constantly monitoring of the tank situation. They do fight sometimes but there is ample space for them to escape from each other being in a six footer.....

Why dont list some of the equipment you use ?

Hey Boss....

My current tank spec & equipments are listed as below:

Tank Info

Main Tank: 72†x 27†x 30â€

Sump Tank: 48†x 18†x 18â€

Equipment

Return Pump: 1 x AB 6000

Lighting: DIY 72†3 x MH 250w, DIY T5 2 x 54W ATI Blue Plus

Wavemaker: 2 x Tunze 6101 with Multi-controller 7095 & 1 x Tunze 6060.

Skimmer: 1 x Skimz Monzter SM 250 C/W 2 x AB 5000 Needle Wheel & 1x AB 2000 Feed Pump.

FR: 1 x Skimz FM 150 Fluidized Reactor with Rowaphos

Ozonizer: 1 x Sander C200

Monitor: 1 x Aquatronica ACS Advance Package

Tank Running from June 2009

Getting Soon List:

4 x 80w DIY T5 to replace the current T5s

Calcium Reactor to enhance coral growth

De-nitrator to curb the nitrate levels

Second return pump to increase/ better the flow..

Appreciate your pointers/ comments or recommendations if any....Please feel free... Thanks

• SRC Supporter
Hey Boss....

My current tank spec & equipments are listed as below:

Tank Info

Main Tank: 72” x 27” x 30”

Sump Tank: 48” x 18” x 18”

Equipment

Return Pump: 1 x AB 6000

Lighting: DIY 72” 3 x MH 250w, DIY T5 2 x 54W ATI Blue Plus

Wavemaker: 2 x Tunze 6101 with Multi-controller 7095 & 1 x Tunze 6060.

Skimmer: 1 x Skimz Monzter SM 250 C/W 2 x AB 5000 Needle Wheel & 1x AB 2000 Feed Pump.

FR: 1 x Skimz FM 150 Fluidized Reactor with Rowaphos

Ozonizer: 1 x Sander C200

Monitor: 1 x Aquatronica ACS Advance Package

Tank Running from June 2009

Getting Soon List:

4 x 80w DIY T5 to replace the current T5s

Calcium Reactor to enhance coral growth

De-nitrator to curb the nitrate levels

Second return pump to increase/ better the flow..

Appreciate your pointers/ comments or recommendations if any....Please feel free... Thanks

This is a good references for me as well, since i am intending to have a similar 6 footer as well for my new place soon.. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

However, i feel AB6000 may not be enough as the main return, you may need a 10,000 litre flow/hr at least.. further more, IMO i feel smaller version of the AquaBee pump like the 2000, 3000 and 2000i ect work better but for the larger series, the performance is not as good as compare to other brands as the performance seem to drop very quickly..

Show some photos of your sump setup as well lah... :ooh:

can PM me the contact for the tank maker and the cost ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is a good references for me as well, since i am intending to have a similar 6 footer as well for my new place soon.. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

However, i feel AB6000 may not be enough as the main return, you may need a 10,000 litre flow/hr at least.. further more, IMO i feel smaller version of the AquaBee pump like the 2000, 3000 and 2000i ect work better but for the larger series, the performance is not as good as compare to other brands as the performance seem to drop very quickly..

Show some photos of your sump setup as well lah... :ooh:

can PM me the contact for the tank maker and the cost ?

Hey Boss,

Been busy.... I will post some photos of my sump soon.... And update on my equipments also soon....

very nice tank there bro....so happy to see the fishes again...i know that they will be well treated in your tank....cheers n reef on bro...

Thanks Bro.. Could not have done it without you... (kena poisoned) LOL!!!!

Wish you were still reefing...... Anyway the door is also open for a second time...Haha..

Keeping my fingers crossed for you only....

• 1 year later...

It has since been quite some time last I updated this thread.... Many changes have taken place.... have learned alot along the way.....

Updates since last:-

Equipments

Return pumps from AB to RD...

Installed 36x UV..

Major rescape of the 6 footer..almost broke my back when carrying a 35kg LR...

Installed a second hand starmex compressor dip in coil but died on me due to poor installation (lesson learnt). Got a new 1.5 hp compressor to serve 2 tanks (6 footer and new upcoming project currently in the making)...

A photo to say it all...