Reef Journal

moron_clown

• SRC Member

Hi, seems like most of the old timers are gone for good. The faces i see at LFSs now all look so unfamiliar.

After many months of planning and consideration,finally have time and reources to properly set up a new tank.

Here's a little preview.

Reverse Sunset and Sunset Monti

post-2346-1248286912_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Equipment

Tank, Cabinet, Sump made by Aquamarin

Tank Dimensions ... 3X2.5X2 external overflow Approx 100Gallons 12mm Euro-Bracing all round

Sump Dimensions .. 2.5X2X1.5

Cabinet ... Chengai support, matching formica Slow-Shut stainless steel Hinges/ Stainless Steel Screws all round.

Plumbing ... F.I.P valves and plumbing

Supporting equipments

Skimmer ... Skimz Monzter SM200 powered by single 5000L/Hr Aquabee needlewheel, Gravity Fed

Chiller ... Artica 1/4Hp Chiller

Return Pump ... Eheim 1262

Controller ... Aquatronica Basic controller

Dosing Pump ... Aquatronica 3-channel dosing pump

Top Up ... Aquatronica Water Level Module + Eheim Compact 300

Lighting

Primary Lightings ... ATI Sunpower 6X39W

Secondary Lightings ... ATI Retrofit with Arcadia gull wing reflectors 4X39W

Water Movement

Wave Makers ... 2X Modified Tunze NanoStream 6055

+ 1X Tunze 6100

+ 1X Tunze 6080

Controller ... Tunze 7096

Total Turnover ... 50 X Volume

Additional Wavemakers ...3X Hydor Koralia K2

Husbandry

Dosing ... Balling method via 3-channel dosing pump and aquatronica for Calcium,dKH and Magnesium + top up with Kalk infused DI water.

Water Change Regime.. 10% water change weekly consisting of 5% Marine Environment Salt + 5% Natural Sea Water. I think thats the best compromise for nutrient export + diversified live bacteria colonies & live plankton import.

Daily Dosing Regime ... 100mg Sugar , 0.5ml Vodka , 10 Drops Microbacter 7.

Weekly Dosing ... 2 Drops Iodide , 0.5ml Vinegar , 5 drops Brightwell's Amino Acid+Vit C

Feeding Regime ... Flakes, Pellets Daily. Chopped seafood(mussels,shrimps,raw salmon eggs) weekly.

Tank Criteria

The main and only criteria for the tank is it needs to be whisper silent as it is beside my bed. The whole setup is geared in this direction in the planning and implementation stages. I tested alot of equipment(mainly pumps) before deciding on the above list, any equipment that is remotely capable of creating more noise that it should is replaced. Without the chiller kicking in, I believe the tank is running at >50dB. For comparison, my room aircon(marketed as one of the most silent in the market) runs at >45dB. Normal conversations should rate in at about 70dB. Everything right down to the plumbing parts in contact with the cabinet were clamped down and wrapped in sound absorbing materials. Special Thanks to the Aquamarin team for their help in planning and materialising my dream tank.

post-2346-1248288435_thumb.jpg

More on livestocks later!

• SRC Member
is that an achilles tang? wanted to get an AT for my tank too which is 3 feet like urs but was advised that they need lotsa swimming place.. do update on how its doing.. thanks!

Hi, i kept it for 3 months before it stopped eating suddenly and passed away within a week. the pre-requisites for keeping an achilles tang are perfect water quality, very strong water movement and a varied diet including lots of nori.I seen thriving achilles tangs in small tanks but i've never seen a thriving one in a poorly maintained tank. I had a spike in No2 & No3 after an abalone died in my tank, then the achilles developed an ick infection, from then on it was no return. YES they are that sensitive.

Here it is in a night-morph colour sorry for the poor pic.

post-2346-1248693098_thumb.jpg

Hi, i kept it for 3 months before it stopped eating suddenly and passed away within a week. the pre-requisites for keeping an achilles tang are perfect water quality, very strong water movement and a varied diet including lots of nori.I seen thriving achilles tangs in small tanks but i've never seen a thriving one in a poorly maintained tank. I had a spike in No2 & No3 after an abalone died in my tank, then the achilles developed an ick infection, from then on it was no return. YES they are that sensitive.

oic.. mayb ill keep one when i managed to get perfect water quality and after my tank is more mature.. my tank jsut cycled and nitrate is still around 10+. guess its still too high. perhaps i will try out dosing bacteria like u.. is that how u keep ur nitrates lvl down?

Hooked since March 2009

• SRC Member
oic.. mayb ill keep one when i managed to get perfect water quality and after my tank is more mature.. my tank jsut cycled and nitrate is still around 10+. guess its still too high. perhaps i will try out dosing bacteria like u.. is that how u keep ur nitrates lvl down?

The problem is if your tank is just cycled, the nitrate value might not reflect the true end nitrate value. chances are, things are still rotting slowly in the tank. It took about 3 months till all sponges either died or survived before my nitrates leveled off at below 5ppm. actually IME 10ppm is alright for fish,lps and even SOME Sps(montis,green stags).

Sponges contains some of the most powerful anti-bacterial agents and they will release these agents when they are dying. these are BELIEVED to curb the growth of benificial bacterial.

I have been dosing Micro Bacter7 by Brightwell Aquatics since day one after reading a senior reefer's experience on Ree*centra* (search SunnyX). Bad news is, i have to buy my first bottle in Hong Kong, good news is, they are now available in Aquamarin.

The problem is if your tank is just cycled, the nitrate value might not reflect the true end nitrate value. chances are, things are still rotting slowly in the tank. It took about 3 months till all sponges either died or survived before my nitrates leveled off at below 5ppm. actually IME 10ppm is alright for fish,lps and even SOME Sps(montis,green stags).

Sponges contains some of the most powerful anti-bacterial agents and they will release these agents when they are dying. these are BELIEVED to curb the growth of benificial bacterial.

I have been dosing Micro Bacter7 by Brightwell Aquatics since day one after reading a senior reefer's experience on Ree*centra* (search SunnyX). Bad news is, i have to buy my first bottle in Hong Kong, good news is, they are now available in Aquamarin.

icic... wah learnt so much.. haha. yeap like all the seniors always say patience is the key and i will most certainly adhere to that.. thanks so much for ur advice!

Hooked since March 2009

Micro Bacter7 is good stuff i heard about it on Reefcentral too ....

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

Nice set-up bro, sorry that you loose your AT.

My personal experience for sensitive tang such as AT & clown tang are:

1) Leaving my tank fish-less except for small gobies and cleaner shrimp

2) Deliberately encourage growth of macro-algae by not trimming them

3) Introduce AT after tank have been allowed to matured for more than 3 months after completing nitrogen cycle

4) Ensure high flow and high dissolve oxygen

Just my 2 cents.

;)

Here it is in a night-morph colour sorry for the poor pic.

post-2346-1248693098_thumb.jpg

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Yah man. how are u? back to enjoying life downunder? thanks for the additives, KH back to normal.

Hey. I'm alright. Landed this morning. Went home then straight to school. After seeing your tank my hands super itchy!

About my refugium, i'm considering taking your advise and raising the height of the DSB and adding coarser grain sand above so i can put 2 small wavemakers to run over the sand. but without stirring the sand up. do you think it'll be good for the tank?

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Hey. I'm alright. Landed this morning. Went home then straight to school. After seeing your tank my hands super itchy!

About my refugium, i'm considering taking your advise and raising the height of the DSB and adding coarser grain sand above so i can put 2 small wavemakers to run over the sand. but without stirring the sand up. do you think it'll be good for the tank?

yup,should be ok, just remember to siphon off the top when you next do a water change.

• SRC Member

SPS Pics

My favourite Blue Mille

post-2346-1251393808_thumb.jpg

Green Humilis

post-2346-1251393880_thumb.jpg

Green Stag,Bali Tricolour and Blue acro

post-2346-1251393986_thumb.jpg

Turqoise Acro

post-2346-1251394172_thumb.jpg

Blue BottleBrush

post-2346-1251394243_thumb.jpg

Pink Birdnest Growth Tips

post-2346-1251394339_thumb.jpg

Group shot, with pink tip walt smith acro in the background

post-2346-1251394616_thumb.jpg

CentreView

post-2346-1251394709_thumb.jpg

One more LPS

Green Candy Cane

post-2346-1251394423_thumb.jpg

My Previous setup

post-2346-1251394855_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Please feel free to comment.

Thanks for looking!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...