comy's newbie tank

comycus

• SRC Member
im not sure leh bro. favia also got different kinds. i have 1 more lumi green favia frag if u want lol. the only place i can put it is at a corner where it cant sting my other corals. but that corner doesnt showcase its true beauty.

heh I think I have enough green in my tank for the time being. Need other colours though, guess tt can only mean one thing...

Shopping time! :eyebrow:

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Senior Reefer
heh I think I have enough green in my tank for the time being. Need other colours though, guess tt can only mean one thing...

Shopping time! :eyebrow:

the favia frag i sold u looks like a Favites flexuosa. if u want to try, u can try buying the same favia species. take awhile to examine the shape of the polyps and overall appearance. there is another kind of favia, that has bigger rounder polyps. usually with red centers and green edge. these are coloquially known as watermelon favias. these are very beautiful too. however i have not observe strong sweeper tentacles from these specimens in my tank. probably a more peaceful kind. As with other coral family, acans, euphyllias, zoanthids and mushrooms. placement of similar corals in same families pose no significant or any damage at all. example a hammer and a torch, both wont kill each other.

i would say go ahread and add another favia. but take time to observe at night wether the frag i gave u is actually harming ur new favia. if the tentacles just touch the new favia and dont do anything, ur fine. if the tentacle sticks to the new coral and the new coral contract, then separate them.

here's a pic of the red and green favia. very common in LFS.

post-15755-1253633984_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member
the favia frag i sold u looks like a Favites flexuosa. if u want to try, u can try buying the same favia species. take awhile to examine the shape of the polyps and overall appearance. there is another kind of favia, that has bigger rounder polyps. usually with red centers and green edge. these are coloquially known as watermelon favias. these are very beautiful too. however i have not observe strong sweeper tentacles from these specimens in my tank. probably a more peaceful kind. As with other coral family, acans, euphyllias, zoanthids and mushrooms. placement of similar corals in same families pose no significant or any damage at all. example a hammer and a torch, both wont kill each other.

i would say go ahread and add another favia. but take time to observe at night wether the frag i gave u is actually harming ur new favia. if the tentacles just touch the new favia and dont do anything, ur fine. if the tentacle sticks to the new coral and the new coral contract, then separate them.

here's a pic of the red and green favia. very common in LFS.

I think my other moon coral might be this other kinda favia, Never notice any tentacles coming out, v. peaceful. In general, I think they make v. good additions to the tank with their bright colours. Will be hunting for more of these!

• SRC Member

three cheers for my yellow clown goby! Finally saw it gobble 1 small piece of cyclop eeze and didn't spit it out!

hope it really starts feeding more. Just came back from GO and saw afew big fat YCBs. Mine is anorexic in comparison.

hmmm wallet's feeling super light... anyone care to guess what new purchases i made?

• Senior Reefer
three cheers for my yellow clown goby! Finally saw it gobble 1 small piece of cyclop eeze and didn't spit it out!

hope it really starts feeding more. Just came back from GO and saw afew big fat YCBs. Mine is anorexic in comparison.

hmmm wallet's feeling super light... anyone care to guess what new purchases i made?

hmm brains? lol or favia :)

• SRC Member
hey bro,hows ur tank coming?

tot u order liao? take pics lei.

haha I just transferred only... will do some photo taking later. Anyway, my tank nothing much to boast of la... maybe can boast algae bloom :lol: Really have to think of a way to solve all that hair algae growing on my sandbed.

hmm brains? lol or favia :)

one zoa one favia one gonio

hehe I got 1 brain, the rest still hunting for nice specimens. Realise it's a skill to judge whether the coral rock you chose at LFS fits onto your planned position... Super no skill at this. hahaa will update with pics soon! Can entertain more guesses on my other purchases? :P

Anyway, I'm interested in getting an elegance, can anyone share with me tips on how to care? bro lemon maybe can share with me your experience?

• Senior Reefer
haha I just transferred only... will do some photo taking later. Anyway, my tank nothing much to boast of la... maybe can boast algae bloom :lol: Really have to think of a way to solve all that hair algae growing on my sandbed.

hehe I got 1 brain, the rest still hunting for nice specimens. Realise it's a skill to judge whether the coral rock you chose at LFS fits onto your planned position... Super no skill at this. hahaa will update with pics soon! Can entertain more guesses on my other purchases? :P

Anyway, I'm interested in getting an elegance, can anyone share with me tips on how to care? bro lemon maybe can share with me your experience?

yes of coz. elegance hmm...once u get a super healthy specimen, please dont be so careless like me to kill it T_T still cant get over it. nvm i have a healthy one now so its ok lo..

elegance u wanna look out a few signs when ur in LFS. most elegance in LFS are doomed to die because of elegance coral disease. the name of this sounds very made up, but there is a very detailed article written on a reef magazine explaining the different pathogens causing this. as of now, the actual cause of this ailment is still very much unknown, thus the term ECD or ECSyndrome is given.

If u see bloated elegance corals with shrunken tentacles, or ones which produce excessive slime, not retracted to full glory, melting, or exposed skeleton, leave them. the most tell tale signs of ECS is the extremely bloated appearance with shrunken tentacles. ECS can spread from an unhealthy elegance to a healthy one, so if u see a tank with 10 elegance, and 1 with ECS, i will rather u leave all of them. coz u do not want to take the risk. i learnt from my mistake...a very painful mistake. i find that elegance from fish farms tend to do better as compared to fish shops. this is just my personal experience. why?

because shops usually carry alot of them. like when a coral shipment comes, usually will have like 10-15 pieces? the chances of one of them having ECS is higher and chances of all being contaminated is very high. whereas u see pasir ris farm and LCK for example. each tank hold only 2-3 elegance. chances are slim for the disease. I have bought 4 elegance from shop and none survived showing signs of ECS. farms for me have moer success with 3 of them surviving many months with healthy polyp extension.

Once you have aquired a healthy specimen, full body, no tissue recession, no ECS, u want to bring it home and place it in a position it likes. many people place elegance coral on rocks. all elegance are found in muddy dirty sand beds in the wild and they should be kept like this in the home aquaria. Not on rocks which is unatural for them. the rocks might rub against their massive body when they contract and expand which will irritate it. Dont need strong lights as in the wild, they are found in rather murky water shaded by sea grasses. No need strong blasting water movement. gentle wave enough to sway their tentacle is enough. most elegance come in a cone shaped skeletal base which u can insert and place in the sand bed. this is how they prefer to be placed. u can put on rocks lah, but not advisable. if they fall, tissue damage is very high as they expand up with water during the day, thus making them very heavy. more suseptable to damage.

thats all i have to say about cataphyllia. becareful of their sting because its one of the most powerful of all corals.

• SRC Member

Photo Updates!

Normal hammer. Think will get more of these to decorate my rock. Not alot of colour, but should look nice once my rocks get fully encrusted with coralline.

post-16489-1253721852_thumb.jpg

Trachyphyllia, Open Brain! I love brains. They come in so many colours splashed on them, really amazing corals.

post-16489-1253721935_thumb.jpg

And influence from Lemon's tank. When I saw these last week, my perception on shrooms changed straightaway! hahaa bro, u r v. bad poison :sick:

post-16489-1253722032_thumb.jpg

becoming a GO fan. hopefully Robin and Shan start dishing out more discounts for me... Already tempting me to make bigger purchase items.

• Senior Reefer
Photo Updates!

Normal hammer. Think will get more of these to decorate my rock. Not alot of colour, but should look nice once my rocks get fully encrusted with coralline.

post-16489-1253721852_thumb.jpg

Trachyphyllia, Open Brain! I love brains. They come in so many colours splashed on them, really amazing corals.

post-16489-1253721935_thumb.jpg

And influence from Lemon's tank. When I saw these last week, my perception on shrooms changed straightaway! hahaa bro, u r v. bad poison :sick:

post-16489-1253722032_thumb.jpg

becoming a GO fan. hopefully Robin and Shan start dishing out more discounts for me... Already tempting me to make bigger purchase items.

hehe. giv robin ur handfone number. he will sms u when they having discount or clearance. how u thik i get so many nice gems for affordable prices? :D

• SRC Member
hehe. giv robin ur handfone number. he will sms u when they having discount or clearance. how u thik i get so many nice gems for affordable prices? :D

haha gif lor. Although everytime I go he always say v. good discount le! B)

Still got summore addition! hahaa busy night... after GO went to a nice reefer's place to get more corals!

• Senior Reefer
Plate Coral, Long tentacled :eyebrow:

purple

post-16489-1253722850_thumb.jpg

n luminous green

post-16489-1253722862_thumb.jpg

Anyone knows if low flow is ok for this coral? My current placement is in a relatively low flow area, the tentacles are drooping, but sway alittle bit from time to time.

medium flow is best :) good that u palce them on sand. dont put on rocks. haha enjoy ur corals. im off to bed, busy day tomorrow :upsidedown:

lucky my tank still v. empty, otherwise who knows who this guy can sting...

hellbliss this one for you! did you get a piece for yourself?

post-16489-1253809646_thumb.jpg

yummy shrooms!

lol damn nice colour.. haven get one leh.. tmr mayb going to buy rics fers. haha.. GO stuffs now sure very ex.. ill wait until they got discount...

Hooked since March 2009