comy's newbie tank

comycus

• SRC Member
hmmm so far I've only been feeding mysis to my rhizos. I also flood reefroids, cyclopeeze, 5 in 1 and recently, Kent marine's phytomax every 1-2 days for my suns and other corals ((Not all at a time though!)

No problems, but my suns never open big big... After I rescape, will cut up a coke bottle to target feed the suns. Hopefully they will open up in full glory then :)

btw... anyone has any good reviews on Kent Marine's so called expert series? Phytomax, Zoomax and Chromax?

You can try Henrys for your suns if you want. Previously when I used henrys to feed my suns, their tentacles open super long. Only issue is it fouls up the water real fast.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
You can try Henrys for your suns if you want. Previously when I used henrys to feed my suns, their tentacles open super long. Only issue is it fouls up the water real fast.

Cannot use Henry's la... You look at my feeding regime... If I use Henry's my nitrates will cfm shoot up.

I'm experimenting with Phytomax of the Kent Marine series first. If they are good, I will get the rest. Working towards keeping more non photosynthetic corals. I've heard good stuff abotu Fauna Marine, but dunno where to get them.

• SRC Member
Cannot use Henry's la... You look at my feeding regime... If I use Henry's my nitrates will cfm shoot up.

I'm experimenting with Phytomax of the Kent Marine series first. If they are good, I will get the rest. Working towards keeping more non photosynthetic corals. I've heard good stuff abotu Fauna Marine, but dunno where to get them.

Ya, you're right...Using Henrys ur nitrates will confirm shoot up. My nitrates are now maintaining at ard 25. Now I'm feeding less henrys so it's still manageable. Last time when I fed more, my nitrates were always above 50... :eyebrow: Now trying out AZ NO3 to see if it can really reduce the nitrates. Up till now, doesn't seem so leh... <_< Still at 25 after using for 2 weeks.

My new tank, I will probably keep more NPS corals. Looking at Suns, Super Suns and of course my Rhizos... :eyebrow: Make a sun family garden on my sand bed... :wub::angel::yeah::idea:

I'm also looking to keep acan and brain gardens also.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Well NPS Corals:

1) Archohelia rediviva

2) Balanophyllia

3) Tubastrea

4) Dendrophyllia

5) Dendronepthya

6) Rhizotrochus typus

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Koji yours are suns (tubastrea), and the ones u got from GO are supersuns (dendrophyllia).

Rhizos (Rhizotrochus) are what we have been talking about in the last 2 pages :)

I have totally same one of Jacky. I have one Rhizo and 2 supersun, if i'm not wrong.

I used to feed coral food(Liquid) and mysys under strong light almost every day.

But Rhizo still not open under light. only mid night open tentacles. Already long time do it.

Still they don't listen me...

• SRC Member
I have totally same one of Jacky. I have one Rhizo and 2 supersun, if i'm not wrong.

I used to feed coral food(Liquid) and mysys under strong light almost every day.

But Rhizo still not open under light. only mid night open tentacles. Already long time do it.

Still they don't listen me...

I have one that opend close to 24hrs a day, another opens most of the time. The rest used to open most of the time but due to the past 1 week when my goby decided to dump sand into their mouths, they don't open much now. I can still see some sand in their mouths so will have to figure out some way to get them out.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Rescaping done up, more swimming space for fishes, can add fishes tt my gf likes finally... lol

But no pics for the next week. Have to wait for my computer to be delivered to me. For the time being will be surviving on my iphone if i need internet for any emergency. Hence me mia for the past weekend. :unsure:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Rescaping done up, more swimming space for fishes, can add fishes tt my gf likes finally... lol

But no pics for the next week. Have to wait for my computer to be delivered to me. For the time being will be surviving on my iphone if i need internet for any emergency. Hence me mia for the past weekend. :unsure:

you have wireless BB at home?

Your iphone is as good as a pc.

try it. you will be amazed.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Hi Comy,

What is your NO3 reading now? Mine is now 25 ofter 3 weeks of feeding henrys + silver fish + zooplankton, rotifier, phytoplankton, copepods, frozen mysis... :rolleyes: I think I got to start using AZ NO3 on my tank now... B)

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Hi Comy,

What is your NO3 reading now? Mine is now 25 ofter 3 weeks of feeding henrys + silver fish + zooplankton, rotifier, phytoplankton, copepods, frozen mysis... :rolleyes: I think I got to start using AZ NO3 on my tank now... B)

Mine never exceeds 10ppm. I feed mysis, pellets twice daily. 5in1 coral food, reefroids, frozen cyclopeeze, kent marine phytomax: combination of what I like daily. you got too many fishes la. I only have 9 fishes now. and all v. low bioload ones.

But my constant shifting of my corals + recent change in rockscape is resulting in my corals not doing well. Gonna stop stocking up and let tank stabilise for the next month.

• SRC Member
Mine never exceeds 10ppm. I feed mysis, pellets twice daily. 5in1 coral food, reefroids, frozen cyclopeeze, kent marine phytomax: combination of what I like daily. you got too many fishes la. I only have 9 fishes now. and all v. low bioload ones.

But my constant shifting of my corals + recent change in rockscape is resulting in my corals not doing well. Gonna stop stocking up and let tank stabilise for the next month.

Frankly, i find reefroids and phytomax rather redundant unless u switch off yr skimmer and filter when you feed them with these, then you will find your corals opening up.

I have better results when i target feed my blastos with rotifer using a syringe. Next day, they open up real big from cup A to cup D.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Forgot to mention, mine is twice daily feedings of henrys and silver fish. Once daily feeding of pellets and the rest. :eyebrow: I think I got to cut down the feeding of Henrys to probably once a week. I think it is the one that is causing my nitrates to rise so fast...especially over the last 1 week :rolleyes:

Will be making my own frozen food blend soon. Using it to replace henrys as it should be cheaper and most importantly should not foul up the water so much.

Eh...U haven't posted your FTS yet??? :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Eh...U haven't posted your FTS yet??? :whistle

No computer at home... sigh nvm la let the tank settle down first also. I'm gonna lose some of my corals soon anyway, nothing much to show. haha

Think I will try rotifers soon. Reefroids and phytomax are for my gonio and other filter feeding corals. It works la. Just switch off skimmer for 1 hour.

• SRC Member
Frankly, i find reefroids and phytomax rather redundant unless u switch off yr skimmer and filter when you feed them with these, then you will find your corals opening up.

I have better results when i target feed my blastos with rotifer using a syringe. Next day, they open up real big from cup A to cup D.

Usually when i feed my corals and fishes, I will switch off my return pump and wavemakers. Then target feed them and wait for 1/2 hr before turning on the return pump and wavemakers.

I got good results when I feed my blastos with a mix of rotifiers, copeopds and zooplanton. But recently I found that if I target feed them with henrys, mysis and other frozen food, the results are even more amazing. It's the same for all my other corals. They do better when I target feed them with frozon food and that's the main reason why my nitrates are up so fast.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
perhaps before u lose them, do u want to sell?

U want to buy from him huh??? :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• Senior Reefer
No computer at home... sigh nvm la let the tank settle down first also. I'm gonna lose some of my corals soon anyway, nothing much to show. haha

Think I will try rotifers soon. Reefroids and phytomax are for my gonio and other filter feeding corals. It works la. Just switch off skimmer for 1 hour.

there is no such thing as losing a coral. even at the brink of death where it almost seems impossible to recover, there is a chance to save it. LPSs are very tolerant and can recover quickly if given proper care. even with 5% of life left, they can make an extraordinary come back.

• SRC Member
Usually when i feed my corals and fishes, I will switch off my return pump and wavemakers. Then target feed them and wait for 1/2 hr before turning on the return pump and wavemakers.

I got good results when I feed my blastos with a mix of rotifiers, copeopds and zooplanton. But recently I found that if I target feed them with henrys, mysis and other frozen food, the results are even more amazing. It's the same for all my other corals. They do better when I target feed them with frozon food.

yes, if u target feed them with meaty foods, they do better....same goes for suns.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
yes, if u target feed them with meaty foods, they do better....same goes for suns.

That's true and the colours will be come more vibrant over time but the trade off is that the nitrates and phosphates will increase very quickly as the amount of nutrients will build up very quickly.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
why not?...he has some nice gems :eyebrow:

hey, bro comycus, let me know...i can come by yr place tonight.

I dun think he will sell his gems...maybe he will sell his germs... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

haha I'm letting go some of my zoas la... Can look through my posts to see what zoas I have. Common green zoas, RPE, Blue/purple hornets, the pink one (dunno what it is), n possibly candy apple frag. Who wants to buy can come over tonight, I'm home early. can PM me if interested. :)

Going to be v. busy at work this month... Hope to maintain whatever I have in my tank and nurse them back to health. Although can't really do tt if i come home late and straight to bed, and out of house first thing in the morning. Haiz, don't even have time to target feed them anymore. Will have to do something about it tonight.

• SRC Member
That's true and the colours will be come more vibrant over time but the trade off is that the nitrates and phosphates will increase very quickly as the amount of nutrients will build up very quickly.

Can always transfer them out and feed. Especially the suns. I haven't had the time to do tt even... urghh my tank looks damn sad now actually... :paiseh: