4ft tank set-up help.

I recently got this amazing tank from a fellow reefer here.

This is my first time having such a huge tank.

4ft by 2 ft by 2.5ft

It is also the first time I'm having a tank with a sump.

Image0174.jpg

Here's a graphic of what the sump will be like.

currentSump.jpg

The help I need now is What kind of things can I put in there to make the tank work.

1. Should I pack a deep sand bed (4 inches ) in there with some small pieces of live rock?

2. Should I DIY an Algae scrubber in there?

3. Where could I possibly house some Macro Algae?

4. What kind of media do I need to use where the water overflows? Currently I have Anti Phos, Activ Carbon and loads of bio rings and balls.

I'll probably get a good chiller the moment I can afford one.

For now the only equipment I'll have in there is a powerhead and a skimmer.

I thinking of a FOWLR tank since the tank is so large.

All the live rock that I have from the previous tank are in buckets with the water circulating.

I'm wondering if they are still "live"rocks.

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

1. Should I pack a deep sand bed (4 inches ) in there with some small pieces of live rock? DSB theory fails... trust me just a thin layer to look nice is fine... once u very pro than can consider!

2. Should I DIY an Algae scrubber in there? yes its a very good thing to do

3. Where could I possibly house some Macro Algae? not needed if u using scrubber.

4. What kind of media do I need to use where the water overflows? Currently I have Anti Phos, Activ Carbon and loads of bio rings and balls. its already ok. BUT MUST change carbon every time.

OH P.S. pls reverse the sump.

let the water pump run straight into the tank.. too many bends causes a very big drop in water pressure.

happy reefing, and dont give up

Thanks for the answers and suggestions. It does seem like an excellent Idea to flip the Sump tank. This way I just need to extend the overflow pipes to pour out at the right end. Gravity will help me there. The return pump will have to only pump water straight up without making any turns.

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

Gravity feeding the Skimmer is already something i'm planning on since there are 4 holes from the overflow chamber.

One will empty out into the sump like normal. one will go into the skimmer.

the other 2 holes would be used for the return pump.

Another question.

Since there are 2 holes for the return, is it advisable to split the return flow into to pipes?

My suggestion for your 4 holes :P

1 - Return pump

2 - Overflow with valve to algae scrubber

3 - Overflow with valve to Skimmer

4 - Normal overflow (for emergency overflooding)

Water going down should go to skimmer/scrubber 1st before any leftover goes to normal overflow.

For media, not really recommended but you can polish the water using some carbon.

My sump is empty XD

Sump to be reversed as mentioned by bro stash.

Hope it helps

I've never used a proper skimmer with a needle wheel pump before. I'm not very sure how it'll work and be integrated into the sump until I have one at hand.

Anyone care to illustrate how one is hooked up?