What is the actual cost of owning a car in Singapore ?

Nalin

• SRC Member

Hi

Can any car owner here share with me what is the monthly cost of owning a car ?

Also,I know many do not take the depreciation of the car into the calculation.( E.g a japanese car 1.6cc depreciation is $6,000 per year and that works out to be around $500 per month )

Does the monthly loan instalment to the bank take into consideration the depreciation ?

As I am currently taking taxi everyday and my monthly transport bill comes up to around $1,000.

I would like to know is it still worth to continue Taxi or buy a 1.6cc car ?

Thanx

Average 1.6l car monthly installment - $600+

Average monthly petrol (100km/day) - $300+

Average monthly parking (not taking into consideration city parking) - $200+

Average monthly - $50+

Servicing (per 10,000km) - $180+

Car Wash

Tires

Wipers

Others

HTH ;)

Hi

Can any car owner here share with me what is the monthly cost of owning a car ?

Also,I know many do not take the depreciation of the car into the calculation.( E.g a japanese car 1.6cc depreciation is $6,000 per year and that works out to be around $500 per month )

Does the monthly loan instalment to the bank take into consideration the depreciation ?

As I am currently taking taxi everyday and my monthly transport bill comes up to around $1,000.

I would like to know is it still worth to continue Taxi or buy a 1.6cc car ?

Thanx

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Owning a car will be more expensive than $1000/month. Period.

On top of Bro Gouldian's items, theres:

ERP

Road Tax - 1.6l will be about 1000/yr

Insurance

Disposables - Tyres, Wiper blades, etc...

Upgrades

In exchange, you'll get more convenience. I find public transport in Singapore still needs improvement to increase convenience.

Of course, you can consider the chinese makes but I would stay far away from them. until their safety records improve.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

That's right, forgotten to cost in road tax and insurance.

IMHO, owing a car means you have to set aside 2k monthly.

HTH ;)

Owning a car will be more expensive than $1000/month. Period.

On top of Bro Gouldian's items, theres:

ERP

Road Tax - 1.6l will be about 1000/yr

Insurance

Disposables - Tyres, Wiper blades, etc...

Upgrades

In exchange, you'll get more convenience. I find public transport in Singapore still needs improvement to increase convenience.

Of course, you can consider the chinese makes but I would stay far away from them. until their safety records improve.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

2k is excluding repairs and the worst ( vandals) , taking taxis at least saves you the trouble of having heachache of owning a car,

alternatively is to buy a cheap old coe 1.6l car and pay full in cash , less than 10k for a 18 yr old toyota corolla.

so you only need to worry about

Petrol ( $300)

Insurance can go 3rd party ( $600/yr) depending on age

Roadtax 1.6l ($1.8k/yr) included 150% above normal rates for 15yr old cars and

$???? if you bang anyone or anything

$???? repairs (max $20k to go back to showroom condition )

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member
That's right, forgotten to cost in road tax and insurance.

IMHO, owing a car means you have to set aside 2k monthly.

HTH ;)

actually if ur income is more than 3 k a month you are able to fund for a car

but when its at 3k or lesser its gonna be abit tough :unsure:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member
actually if ur income is more than 3 k a month you are able to fund for a car

but when its at 3k or lesser its gonna be abit tough :unsure:

yup agreed, and you cant spent on corals and fishes as much as you use to :paiseh:

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

• SRC Member
yup agreed, and you cant spent on corals and fishes as much as you use to :paiseh:

haha thats of coz cant have the best of both worlds unless

you are earning alot of moolah hmm :eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Supporter

just to add, the good point of having a car then taxi is to avoid long queues.

even if call cab,at times you wouldnt b able to get a cab. a very common area that facing this is at takashimaya on a crowded wkend.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

Hi

Thank you all for the reply.

By the way, the calculations that you guys gave to me does not take into consideration of thedepreciation correct ?

What I mean is , when I take over the key from the dealer assuming its a brand new car the depreciation starts from day 1

and when I sold it later lets say around 5 years my selling price of the car will be lower than my redemption value (as due to interest rate being factor into the calculation when I took the loan 5 years earlier ) , do i have to take this into consideration.

If based on an average depreciation of an 1.6cc jap make car is $6,000 per year that will work out to be around $500 per month.Do I have to take this into consideration ?

When I add this in...assuming based on Bouldian calculation average every month I need to set aside $1,600 for the car.But when I add this ( depreciation cost ) in which its unrealised cost as I have yet to sell the car.The fianl figure will comes to $2,100 am I right ?

I just want to be sure I make the right judgement..if the total cost of owning a car, falls between $1,500 to $1,600 i will make a switch to car as my taxi fare is around $1,000. However , if the total cost of owning a car is $2,000 to $2,100 I will choose to stay with Taxi :)

I just want to be sure as the depreciation cost many do not take this into consideration as part of the total cost, should I include this into my overall consideration ? Especially for those who have sold their car before can you help.

Thank you all for your prompt reply and Bouldian for your detailed explaination :)

• SRC Member

always keep in mind that you might have to top up money for the car if you are to decide to sell it before break even period, you should ask the showroom to calculate for you the break even period depending on your loan ( subjective to car's market rate at the time you want to sell )

thats y you always hear people say they cant sell the car because they will have to fork out extra money

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

• SRC Supporter

oh, i think the bros forgot one very important cost contributor, CARPARKING cost... unless u stay landed property and own your own office space... (which i doubt so, if not, no need to do this calculation liao)

HDB non-cover $62/mth covered MSCP $$90+/mth

office car park depending area, if town, good luck to you, easily >$200/mth

then u go shopping, between $1.20 to $2.20/hour....

If married, think combine monthly salary of $7-8k will be very comfortable to own a car. If single, at least $3.5-4k/mth to be safe.....

Of cos, u can always have a choice of getting an OPC, straight $17k rebate when you buy new car.... :) makes owning more affordable but inconvenient cos time restriction for free usage.... win some lose some....

: )

• SRC Member

Regarding depreciation, You will care about it only if you intend to resell your car later on. If you consider it, then TCO will certainly be over your target.

Japanese cars usually have better resell value (lower depreciation). It's best to do so before the car surpasses 5 years.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
Mind if I ask, but why do you need to take cabs everyday? -_-

Peacemaker

Huh...Bro, your question pretty strange leh....I take taxi to go to work & back from work.

Its much more convenient for me as I do not leave near the MRT station. Also , its much faster than taking a bus.

• SRC Member
Bro life has been good to you ya

$1000 budget for taxi

Singleisure

Life is so far so Good...May I ask Why do you say that life is Good leh when I put aside Taxi fare of $1,000 ?

Is it too much to set aside for transport ?

• SRC Member
Singleisure

Life is so far so Good...May I ask Why do you say that life is Good leh when I put aside Taxi fare of $1,000 ?

Is it too much to set aside for transport ?

Bcos for most of us who don't own a car and travel by public transport.

It will be MRT and buses. Taxi is considered a luxury.

By MRT and buses, the daily cost will be ~$3-$6 for a 2-way trip.

Thus it is <$200 per month if purely travel by MRT and buses.

• Moderators

You may want to check out the insurance cost. It had been escalating over the years.

Some dealer give first year free insurance so you tend to get blind sided by the cost.

I had heard many cases where the premium had jumped 30% to 50%.

And without any NCD. It is going to be very costly.

Do note the comprehensive insurance of younger driver are a lot more compare to old man like me.

Keeping my fingers crossed as mine is due in the couple of months.

Tom

• SRC Member
Peacemaker

Huh...Bro, your question pretty strange leh....I take taxi to go to work & back from work.

Its much more convenient for me as I do not leave near the MRT station. Also , its much faster than taking a bus.

Bcos for most of us who don't own a car and travel by public transport.

It will be MRT and buses. Taxi is considered a luxury.

By MRT and buses, the daily cost will be ~$3-$6 for a 2-way trip.

Thus it is <$200 per month if purely travel by MRT and buses.

Bro limsc pretty much summed up what I wanted to say. ^_^

I'm assuming you are already getting very used to the convenience of taking cabs, and it is starting to hurt you in your wallet? Sometimes, it just takes good time management and discipline, and the bus or the MRT will meet your needs just fine.

Quite some time back, I used to take cabs to work and back home. I was so used to this "convenience", that I took cabs everywhere I went, which really drained my income, till I told myself, enough was enough. I slept earlier at night to wake up earlier in the morning, and cycle to the nearest bus stop to take the bus to work. I found that I had more savings, and the extras could be used to buy more corals! :eyebrow:

I'm not discouraging you from getting a car, by all means go ahead if you can afford it! Its just that sometimes, it is better to deal with underlying issues rather than seeking other means to negate it.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Have you considered getting a bike? It's the best mode of transport .. really! Though most would disagree.

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member
Have you considered getting a bike? It's the best mode of transport .. really! Though most would disagree.

If you are talking about motorcycles, you might want to look at these PDF files:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/prints/tp_annual/200...asualties4B.pdf

http://www.spf.gov.sg/prints/tp_annual/200...asualties4A.pdf

Motorcyclist/riders have the highest rate of fatalities and injuries among motorists in Singapore.

• SRC Member
If you are talking about motorcycles, you might want to look at these PDF files:

Motorcyclist/riders have the highest rate of fatalities and injuries among motorists in Singapore.

no matter what,

i'll never ride a motorcycle...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

because there are alot of bobo riders who expect cars to give way to them ,

previously i have rode a bike for almost 10 yrs and not 1 road accident. u let those people drive car will also kena accidents

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424