My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

• SRC Member
Can't tell bah, unless you put them under the scope... you might be adding RO water for all you know!

Yup of course, what I mean is at least we know roughly, like average of 100 pods / ml or something. :whistle

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

For that, unless the manufacturer tells you, you will have to put under the microscope and count yourself. :P

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Correct me if I am wrong, the liverock and chaetos will never be able to produce pods at the rate that the mandaring consumes. Thus a lot of mandarins usually starve to death months later if they cannot be weaned onto taking other food.

Prob true in newer nano tanks like yours, but not in matured, bigger tanks. Some tanks have reached such a steady state tt you don't even need to feed your fishes. They graze off your LR either from algae or pods.

Cheato provides a safe haven for pods to grow because it's normally not accessible to fishes. They thrive in dark places and will hide within the confines of the cheato, and I don't see fishes swimming in and getting entangled in cheato, so prob tt's a good alternative to keeping a refugium or LR in sump to cultivates pods. In fact, I'm prob gonna float a basket of cheato in my main tank to cultivate some pods after my rescape to repopulate my LR after the shift.

• SRC Member
Prob true in newer nano tanks like yours, but not in matured, bigger tanks. Some tanks have reached such a steady state tt you don't even need to feed your fishes. They graze off your LR either from algae or pods.

Cheato provides a safe haven for pods to grow because it's normally not accessible to fishes. They thrive in dark places and will hide within the confines of the cheato, and I don't see fishes swimming in and getting entangled in cheato, so prob tt's a good alternative to keeping a refugium or LR in sump to cultivates pods. In fact, I'm prob gonna float a basket of cheato in my main tank to cultivate some pods after my rescape to repopulate my LR after the shift.

Good idea using cheato to propogate pods. Will probably get some cheato to try. :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Let me see how good is the liquid copepods 1st.

a bottle can prob last me 2 - 3 months. So the cost is not really that high. Unless if I keep a mandarin pair :)

Else then maybe the next time I need to tackle is a DIY chaeton box within my nano ... hehe

- after I settle my ATO and FR of course.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
Let me see how good is the liquid copepods 1st.

a bottle can prob last me 2 - 3 months. So the cost is not really that high. Unless if I keep a mandarin pair :)

Else then maybe the next time I need to tackle is a DIY chaeton box within my nano ... hehe

- after I settle my ATO and FR of course.

you got mandarin already ?

25 Gal Micro Ocean

Oh, yeah populate first. So what's your plan on dosing your pods into your tank :mellow:

have not read the instructions yet but I guess it will be like dosing 5 ml each day or some like that.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

You got a blenny right, don't they feed on pods also ?

my blenny residing with Peter already. He started nipping at my SPS.

(he = the bicolour blenny, not Peter)

I have 2 gobies in my tank yah. But there are sufficient pods for the Griesinggeri Goby and my purple firefish takes in pellets. so not neccessary to feed them with these now. Also I am trying to keep my tank parameters as stable as possible these few days.

errrm... this is not an addictive... the faster the pods get into the tank, the faster they start populating and reproducing.

hehe now my tank really has already a lot of white pods already.

no matter how much pods you have, they have be decimated very fast once the mandarin comes in.

So end up still will be dosing 5 ml each day for my small tank.

My friend might be bringing in live copepods from another source, way denser. :eyebrow:

Hey keep us posted Fuel.

The xenias are doing ok in my tank now.

But i think they are not fully extended yet.

Today's roll call:

I can hear the snapping sound from the pistol, so he is still there.

For the G goby, I need to hunt for him. Found him after 15 mins.

My friend might be bringing in live copepods from another source, way denser. :eyebrow:

That is good news.

Bro Fuel.

Keep us update when available :thanks:

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016