My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

• SRC Member
The one from JM yes. but I think got discount now.

Yes, there is for this month but did you get the phytoplankton as copepods feed on phytoplankton.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Yes, there is for this month but did you get the phytoplankton as copepods feed on phytoplankton.

Ok, and these bottled copepods last how long, I mean expiry ? in the bottle, would they also multiply ? Maybe can set-up pico tank and pour them in, and keep on feeding phytoplankton, will that work ?

25 Gal Micro Ocean

luminous Green Star Polyp

This thing will be beautiful when fully opened.

abstract from www.brettsreef.com

One of the most easiest corals to grow and take care of in a saltwater reef aquarium is the green or brown star polyps or if you want to get scientific, Pachyclavularia (genus). These corals are considered a beginners coral, they can be very forgiving when it comes to poor water quality. The star polyps are also very tolerant of both low light and intense light as well and are very tolerant of a wide range of current. These corals should be kept at normal saltwater reef tank parameters.

These corals do not need any additional dosing other then your weekly water change but can be sensitive to to some phosphate removing sponges (the ones that use aluminum oxide). In my experience as with other soft corals they seem to like a little bit of phosphate in the water however so does nuisance algae. You also do not have to directly feed star polyps, they are photosynthetic creatures that do not require additional feeding provided that you have ample lighting.

bro nv get frm me GSP i got can pass u sum ma

• SRC Member
Ok, and these bottled copepods last how long, I mean expiry ? in the bottle, would they also multiply ? Maybe can set-up pico tank and pour them in, and keep on feeding phytoplankton, will that work ?

There is actually no expiry date for copepods. They are supposed to be live but of course in the bottle, some will die (hopefully not all) and also hopefully they will multiply. You have to put the bottle of copepods in the fridge though.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

bro nv get frm me GSP i got can pass u sum ma

:( did not know.

Maybe should start a nano frag share thread.

List out what we can share or want to buy and share.

what do you think?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

There is actually no expiry date for copepods. They are supposed to be live but of course in the bottle, some will die (hopefully not all) and also hopefully they will multiply. You have to put the bottle of copepods in the fridge though.

Peter, I am not sure if Jun meant that he would like to cultivate copepods by having another pico.

Jun, there are people who cultivate copepods by keeping chaeto. That could be one way too.

between having to run a second tank and buying off shelf, I would choose the latter simply becuase I don't have sufficient space which is why i ended up with a nano anyway :P

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
Peter, I am not sure if Jun meant that he would like to cultivate copepods by having another pico.

Jun, there are people who cultivate copepods by keeping chaeto. That could be one way too.

between having to run a second tank and buying off shelf, I would choose the latter simply becuase I don't have sufficient space which is why i ended up with a nano anyway :P

Jacky, Peter, thanks, yeah both of you answered my inquiries.

Yes, about cultivation, of course if the bottled copepods are always available then i agree, save all the efforts to feed the feeds to feed the mandarin lol. Coz i would like to have a mandarin eventually as well.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
Jacky, Peter, thanks, yeah both of you answered my inquiries.

Yes, about cultivation, of course if the bottled copepods are always available then i agree, save all the efforts to feed the feeds to feed the mandarin lol. Coz i would like to have a mandarin eventually as well.

Not too sure if you could rear Reefmax Copepods in a tank...By right should be able to but also depends on the quality of the copepods. I only know that people have successfully done so using DT copepods and DT phytoplankton.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Not too sure if you could rear Reefmax Copepods in a tank...By right should be able to but also depends on the quality of the copepods. I only know that people have successfully done so using DT copepods and DT phytoplankton.

Ok, maybe can give it a try sometime ... I'd really got to hve a mandarin ! :angry2:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

I bought the salt mixed water from ML.

Did not test salinity & other parameters.

yesterday, there was a mini commotion at home. (wife was running very high fever)

and I ended up changing water only at 1 am.... really could not be bothered with too much at that time.

I suggest you do next time. Honestly I am not pointing fingers at anybody but somethings are better to be safe than sorry. The least you can do is perhaps run a salinity check and phosphate check before the eventual dump.

I was equally guilty of buying premixed seawater/NSW from some reputable LFSs before only to realise my corals went up the lorry because of the seawaters' salinity. It was really bad then because I lost alot of zoas! Alot of US/HK zoas to that so yeah, painful lesson :S So bro, advice is no matter how tired, do a check first (:

If too tired, then change water tmr first thing in morning. So yeapp (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Sponsor
I bought the salt mixed water from ML.

Did not test salinity & other parameters.

yesterday, there was a mini commotion at home. (wife was running very high fever)

and I ended up changing water only at 1 am.... really could not be bothered with too much at that time.

I suggest you do next time. Honestly I am not pointing fingers at anybody but somethings are better to be safe than sorry. The least you can do is perhaps run a salinity check and phosphate check before the eventual dump.

I was equally guilty of buying premixed seawater/NSW from some reputable LFSs before only to realise my corals went up the lorry because of the seawaters' salinity. It was really bad then because I lost alot of zoas! Alot of US/HK zoas to that so yeah, painful lesson :S So bro, advice is no matter how tired, do a check first (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Valid concern brought out by Bro Marc J. especially when things go out of whack after intervention.

As an assurance, the premixed seawater Bro Jacky got was the newly launched salt from Brightwell Aquatic.

Prepared using DI water.

SG 1.024,

PO4 = not detectable.

pH = 8.2

kH = 3.5meq/L

Ca = 420

Mg = 1200

NO3 = <2

Currently using the saltmix for my established display and the newly set up ELOS mini tank :)

HTH

Cheers :)

Henry

Edited by henry@ml

SIGNATURE-Asta120SpirulinaGarlicReefMedi

Join us on Facebook! 

henry'sreefgourmet - your fish, corals and critters will love it!

Goodbye!PO4 - your simple, highly effective and low cost method to phosphate control

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Tel : 6777 4047
Mobile : 9843 6032

Operating Hours:
Mondays : 3pm - 8pm
Tues - Sat : 12.30pm - 8pm

Sundays : Closed

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

• SRC Supporter

guys,how much per bottle cost for copepods?

having a small area for pods to grow shldnt take up too big a space right?

furthermore liverocks are actually enough for the pods to grow when a tank has more or less complete its cycling unless livestock have been introduce into the tank without having a proper timeframe for cycling resulting in pods not populating well and got eaten before it could.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

hope the mandarin survives then! take some pics of it?

I dun have a mandarin yet lol.

The copepods are brought in preparation for one.

Yet hunting for a small one.

Valid concern brought out by Bro Marc J. especially when things go out of whack after intervention.

As an assurance, the premixed seawater Bro Jacky got was the newly launched salt from Brightwell Aquatic.

Prepared using DI water.

SG 1.024,

PO4 = not detectable.

pH = 8.2

kH = 3.5meq/L

Ca = 420

Mg = 1200

NO2 = <2

Currently using the saltmix for my established display and the newly set up ELOS mini tank :)

HTH

Cheers :)

Henry

Hey thanks for clarifying Henry. The upset in my tank could be due to the overfeeding of the sun and the duration I took to complete the wc.

Fed too much and the sun was not digesting. So ended up vomiting the prawn and they could be rotting somewhere in the tank. The PH parameter could be the because of the booming algae. Too much CO2 removal in the day.

• Senior Reefer

i fully agree with what bro reddevilz said. to be honest, am never a fan of these off the shelf pods. sounds too good to be true. but never use before so cannot comment.

in facts, i cultivate pods using 2 magnet cleaners. the pods will live inbetween the magnets on my tank glass, in the rough surface. u can see them populate there and grow tons. best of all, free.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Good sharing. Never imagine such thing would happen.

:thanks:

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

oops hahaa then quickly pore inside your tank and let the pods grow before adding mandarin! :)

My tank actually has a lot already.

Can see them on all the tank walls.

But no matter how much you have, they will decimate very fast if you have a mandarin.

I think my G goby consumes them as well

• SRC Member

furthermore liverocks are actually enough for the pods to grow when a tank has more or less complete its cycling unless livestock have been introduce into the tank without having a proper timeframe for cycling resulting in pods not populating well and got eaten before it could.

Jureh marine selling Reefmax Copepods at $25/bottle.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

i fully agree with what bro reddevilz said. to be honest, am never a fan of these off the shelf pods. sounds too good to be true. but never use before so cannot comment.

in facts, i cultivate pods using 2 magnet cleaners. the pods will live inbetween the magnets on my tank glass, in the rough surface. u can see them populate there and grow tons. best of all, free.

Lemon, Do you mean you placed chaetos in between the magnets in the main tank?

Can to share a photo?

• SRC Member
and this is like, in qty of pods per bottle ? gms ?

250ml per bottle. How many pods, not specified. But mentioned that the pods are an average size of 3300 microns.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

It is $25 with 25% discount this month.

Having a small area in the tank is prob ok it is not too unsightly.

An refugium is out of the question as I cannot even find space for my ATO tank.

Correct me if I am wrong, the liverock and chaetos will never be able to produce pods at the rate that the mandaring consumes. Thus a lot of mandarins usually starve to death months later if they cannot be weaned onto taking other food.

Lemon,

yeah naturally sources is the best always but hopefully this bottle of pods can help to supplement the food requirement.