Kimkim's pico tank(5G) log

kimkim23

quick qns.. tank of my size. (11 x 9 x 12)inches. How mani LEDs will be enuf huh?how mani white and blue each shd i be using? havent realli decided on wat corals i will wanna have.but super sun will be one of the kind i'll want to hv.

4.5Watts LEDs...

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

err...arent super suns NPS(non-photosynthetic)?So i think the lighting won't matter for them :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am using total of 6 LEDs(4blue 2 white) for my pico(36x22x26cm). I feel that the coverage is sufficient..but i dont have corals yet so cant be too sure.

Color wise mine is rather purplish...can come over my place to look at the color if you interested :upsidedown:

Was also advised by bro sherman that 50%blue-50%white gives a 14k look...

Ooo.. ok bro..havent realli decide what lights i will be having..haiz..maybe ask some1 to help out make 1 for me..hehe..

i used the search function and read up on some old threads bout HOB skimmers..i know some of ya think that i can do without 1 1 due to the size..

But i think i prefer to have 1..can increase abit of water volume oso..abit oso gd la.."no fish shrimp oso gd" lolz..

my pico is in my bedroom..er.. any gd reco for a gd and quiet 1?i know the popular ones are the redsea,tunze,MCEs,remora C etc etc..i wonder recently market got come out new one mah?

would like to get 1 that is the least noisy and buget ard $100,then can increase of my tank volume oso...but not too big untill its gonna be 2 times higher then my pic la.. :look:

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

Ooo.. ok bro..havent realli decide what lights i will be having..haiz..maybe ask some1 to help out make 1 for me..hehe..

i used the search function and read up on some old threads bout HOB skimmers..i know some of ya think that i can do without 1 1 due to the size..

But i think i prefer to have 1..can increase abit of water volume oso..abit oso gd la.."no fish shrimp oso gd" lolz..

my pico is in my bedroom..er.. any gd reco for a gd and quiet 1?i know the popular ones are the redsea,tunze,MCEs,remora C etc etc..i wonder recently market got come out new one mah?

would like to get 1 that is the least noisy and buget ard $100,then can increase of my tank volume oso...but not too big untill its gonna be 2 times higher then my pic la.. :look:

think i recall someone selling his Tunze 9002.

do note that this skimmer has a large collection cup at the top.

quite an eyesore for some ppl.

Else redsea skimmer I have one which can let go to you at special price.

Not as effective as 9002.

PM me if keen.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

I think generally all HOB skimmers will be too noisy for your bedroom. My view is that the least noisy tends to be the most expensive and it just keeps getting noiser the cheaper the model gets ;)

• SRC Member

Actually I really don't think 5 gallons is necesary to have skimmer. Tank crash means tank crash, the margin for error for such a small tank is almost zero. The additional liter or 2 won't make a difference. You will still need to do very frequent water changes to your tank to export out nutrients and the skimmer might not even be able to skim anything out. Also, the skimmer return might be too powerful, maybe create tsunami in your pico.

Actually I really don't think 5 gallons is necesary to have skimmer. Tank crash means tank crash, the margin for error for such a small tank is almost zero. The additional liter or 2 won't make a difference. You will still need to do very frequent water changes to your tank to export out nutrients and the skimmer might not even be able to skim anything out. Also, the skimmer return might be too powerful, maybe create tsunami in your pico.

+1

I think i read somewhere that the volume of pico is so small that skimmers are just too inefficient and unnecessary...The key should lie in the frequent water changes

hey sis. How long have u been cycling the tank?

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

hey sis. How long have u been cycling the tank?

sis o.O"? lolz... oh today is exactly 2 weeks liao actualli..i will do the water tests tommorrow.. *excited* to see zeros...lolz :upsidedown:

Bout the skimmer part..ya la.. i kindna agree. i think if crash realli is "si gao liaoz" de lor =/ ... putting 1 just to ease the mind off it abit..hmmm...

my temp is always 29-30 degrees these days..how come sia.. i remember when i js started it was 27+ nia.. do bact create heat? :unsure:

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

ok guys..cant wait until tmr liao..haha...these are the results...

PH was 8.3

Specific gravity was 1.025

Temp at 29+

IMG_6026-1.jpg

Ammonia test kit used tetra coz couldnt find API's singular test kit..

Ammonia - 0

N02 - 0

NO3 - within 0-10? (i realli cant make out how much is it sia)

Is my tank cycled? :yeah:

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

congrats, seems to have cycled. ;) im getting some mushies for my tank tml~

:thanks: Finally! :D yey.. guess i will go head out this weekend get my cleaning crew and some super suns!hoho..so happy..

bro i realised we started cycling our tanks ard the same time..haha high 5 ;)

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

PH was 8.3

Temp at 29+

IMG_6026-1.jpg

Ammonia - 0

N02 - 0

grats! enjoy your shopping!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

thanks everyone..any1 going to any LFS that have tiny corals and tiny invertebrates?this fri on leave so maybe go some explore abit.got 3 days to go shop,long weekend :lol:

but gonna get lost finding the LFS i think byself..haha..oh ya which are the LFs that have supersuns currently?went with the guys to LCK saw alot there last week.wondering other places oso got mah..LCK no car go will die =,="

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
thanks everyone..any1 going to any LFS that have tiny corals and tiny invertebrates?this fri on leave so maybe go some explore abit.got 3 days to go shop,long weekend :lol:

but gonna get lost finding the LFS i think byself..haha..oh ya which are the LFs that have supersuns currently?went with the guys to LCK saw alot there last week.wondering other places oso got mah..LCK no car go will die =,="

Golden Octopus do bring in super suns...

but the last time i visted them (which was last week),

i didnt see any...

u can get from them (and get poisoned by other corals at the same time),

dont have to travel all the way to LCK if transport is a problem...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

PH was 8.3

Temp at 29+

IMG_6026-1.jpg

Ammonia - 0

N02 - 0

i miss those times when my extreme right tube results was as yellow as yours...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

i miss those times when my extreme right tube results was as yellow as yours...

hee..everyday had their yellow results liao..so its my turn :paiseh:

Any1 know where i can find supersuns except CF ?asked ML and Go,they dont have,electric blue hermits oso..hmmm..

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
hee..everyday had their yellow results liao..so its my turn :paiseh:

Any1 know where i can find supersuns except CF ?asked ML and Go,they dont have,electric blue hermits oso..hmmm..

CF brought in supersuns? I think you mean lck. They still have quite alot. Don't think many lfs bring in nowadays...

CF brought in supersuns? I think you mean lck. They still have quite alot. Don't think many lfs bring in nowadays...

oops..ya peisei bro..i meant LCK :paiseh:

er..kindna thought out my wishlist..

1 Black Ocellaris

1 pink dotted goby

1 firefish

1 yellowhead jawfish

1 electric blue shrimp

1 peppermint shrimp

1 golden coral banned shrimp

1 Astraea Conehead Snail

will slowly stock up to this list...is it too many? :unsure:

untitled.jpg