4x2x1.5 Back in action :)

lostboy_cal

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Started a 4 feet tank on May and due to work commitment, have not been taking care of the tank....my bad. The tank was real bad as high nitrate, lots of green algae on the rock and brown algae on the tank. Decided to do something on it after looking at this forums on others reefer beautiful tank.... Great inspiration :rolleyes:

On April, I purchase this 2nd hand tank from a reefer with built in refigum on the back portion. Initial start up is fun but finding very hard to maintain the correct parameter and nitrate is always on the high side. The back portion is also too small to place a decent skimmer. Therefore decide to "restart" everything.

Recently, download a technical drawing(blueprint) from this forums and decided to DIY a overflow pipe. Then I add a sump tank and a H&S skimmer from a nice reefer, clean and brush the green algae and re-scape the rock too.

Below is some photo(display tank) i took today :) Hope it look okie. Please kindly give some comment. Thanks.

Side View

post-16111-1260952351_thumb.jpg

Angle View

post-16111-1260952420_thumb.jpg

Bubble Coral

post-16111-1260952529_thumb.jpg

Zoas (Previously I try to keep this, none of them(total 6) survive. Finally this does.

post-16111-1260952635_thumb.jpg

Leather

post-16111-1260952886_thumb.jpg

Pink Cauliflower Coral

post-16111-1260952993_thumb.jpg

Green Jewel

post-16111-1260953117_thumb.jpg

Xenia

post-16111-1260953164_thumb.jpg

Livestock

Clown fish & Chromis (2 pair each)

post-16111-1260953540_thumb.jpg

Purple Queen Anthias (This fellow is not eating and always go hiding)

post-16111-1260953614_thumb.jpg

Yellow watchman Goby

post-16111-1260953788_thumb.jpg

Golden Wrasse

post-16111-1260953829_thumb.jpg

Blue Tang (Hippo)

post-16111-1260953918_thumb.jpg

That's all folks... :)

Will update again if intro new members.

Thanks for watching

Cheers

• SRC Member

Nice looking tank! I love the bubble! Hope when you mean 'restart' it just meant cleaning the tank, rescaping and putting effort back into the hobby. Otherwise if it's a real restart and you skipped cycling, might have problems again.

On a side note, you will probably lose the cauliflower and queen anthias. They are considered hard to keep. Do some research now tt you're back in business and try to avoid keeping these hard fishes/corals until you gain the confidence and experience to. :)

• SRC Member

welcome back.

happy reefing.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
Nice looking tank! I love the bubble! Hope when you mean 'restart' it just meant cleaning the tank, rescaping and putting effort back into the hobby. Otherwise if it's a real restart and you skipped cycling, might have problems again.

On a side note, you will probably lose the cauliflower and queen anthias. They are considered hard to keep. Do some research now tt you're back in business and try to avoid keeping these hard fishes/corals until you gain the confidence and experience to. :)

thanks bro. The bubble is amazing when I saw it. Never dare to try till "restart".

Hmmm. I clean the tank, rescape and change the water by Iwarna. Others just remain. :)

I didn't know cauliflower is hard to keep. I thought jewel is tougher? Will cross my finger and read more on how to care for this beauty.

Any idea why the queen is not eating. Is been almost 2 weeks in the tank. I feed them with pellats and frozen brine shrimps. Read from the net they prefer mysis. Where can I get this food for her or any recommendation?

Cheers

thanks bro. The bubble is amazing when I saw it. Never dare to try till "restart".

Hmmm. I clean the tank, rescape and change the water by Iwarna. Others just remain. :)

I didn't know cauliflower is hard to keep. I thought jewel is tougher? Will cross my finger and read more on how to care for this beauty.

Any idea why the queen is not eating. Is been almost 2 weeks in the tank. I feed them with pellats and frozen brine shrimps. Read from the net they prefer mysis. Where can I get this food for her or any recommendation?

Cheers

mysis you can get from most LFS. even freshwater LFS.

Can try Henry's gourmet - Marine Life.

Check out sponsor page.

and good to have a bro enthusiastic about his tank again.

welcome back.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
mysis you can get from most LFS. even freshwater LFS.

Can try Henry's gourmet - Marine Life.

Check out sponsor page.

and good to have a bro enthusiastic about his tank again.

welcome back.

Got it. Will get it this weekend :)

You are one of them who post your tank make me feel enthusiastic again :)

Cheers

• SRC Member
nice,good start.

the purple queen like most anthias are better in big groups.

anyway they are known to do badly in aquariums.

:)

Thanks for the encouraging,

I saw this beauty and buy it then realize is hard to keep.

I will try to make it survive and will intro maybe another 2 mores once is stable or just remain as one.

Once she started to eat, will update you on this :)

Cheers

• SRC Member
Cauliflower soft corals do not have symbiotic algae zooxanthellae, relying only on micro plankton and other filter feeding foods. Therefore they have to be fed v. regularly, almost constantly to survive.

I have a bottle of Zooplankton and Baby plankton which was given by the reefer when i purchase the tank on April 2009.

Just wondering is there any expire date as it was not indicated in the bottle.

So, can i feed them with either this 2?

• SRC Member
I have a bottle of Zooplankton and Baby plankton which was given by the reefer when i purchase the tank on April 2009.

Just wondering is there any expire date as it was not indicated in the bottle.

So, can i feed them with either this 2?

Did you keep them refrigerated? No matter, I would feel uncomfortable feeding my reef with food that has been sitting in my fridge longer than 6 months.

From my research, very few successful stories on keeping it, you need to feed it at least 3 times daily, and have to maintain water quality with such frequent feedings.

• SRC Member
So funny, I thought you would shift the xenia to another spot but you shifted the wavemaker instead :lol:

Won't tt affect overall flow and other corals too?

different pple have different way of solving their problem ma..lol...let's say u are sitting down to makan and yr chair is too far away from the table, for most pple, u will shift yr chair forward, for him he shift the table closer to him ma...doesn't matter if there are other pple affected.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Did you keep them refrigerated? No matter, I would feel uncomfortable feeding my reef with food that has been sitting in my fridge longer than 6 months.

From my research, very few successful stories on keeping it, you need to feed it at least 3 times daily, and have to maintain water quality with such frequent feedings.

hmmmmm.... It was place in the cabinet. Since is powder type, so i never really notice it....

Dun know whether still can use? :whistle

3 times..... will it cause high nitrate? Trying very hard to maintain the water quality so worry those uneaten plankton will cause the nitrate to shot up??

• SRC Member
So funny, I thought you would shift the xenia to another spot but you shifted the wavemaker instead :lol:

Won't tt affect overall flow and other corals too?

errrrrr.... i shift the wavemaker down because i notice there are some dead spot on the bottom. Thought of getting another wavemaker but since you mention the flow rate is too high on the xenia... so i shift down... one stone kill two birds..hahahha :)

the others coral start from the center portion to the left side and the one closer to it will be Jewel, after shift down, the Jewel open huge today... must be happy. :)

• SRC Member
different pple have different way of solving their problem ma..lol...let's say u are sitting down to makan and yr chair is too far away from the table, for most pple, u will shift yr chair forward, for him he shift the table closer to him ma...doesn't matter if there are other pple affected.

hahhaha.. well say.. :upsidedown: is like since i want to shift the table long time ago, i take this opportunity to shift it when i decide to dine on this CHAIR...hahhahahaha

• SRC Member
errrrrr.... i shift the wavemaker down because i notice there are some dead spot on the bottom. Thought of getting another wavemaker but since you mention the flow rate is too high on the xenia... so i shift down... one stone kill two birds..hahahha :)

the others coral start from the center portion to the left side and the one closer to it will be Jewel, after shift down, the Jewel open huge today... must be happy. :)

just wondering... jewel coral? Call it goniopora la. Think it will be easier to ID. Glad yours is opening. I just readjusted my pumps, hopefully, it opens big big too!

• 4 years later...
  • SRC Member

QUOTE (comycus @ Dec 16 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On a side note, you will probably lose the cauliflower and queen anthias. They are considered hard to keep. Do some research now tt you're back in business and try to avoid keeping these hard fishes/corals until you gain the confidence and experience to. smile.gif

Hmmm. I clean the tank, rescape and change the water by Iwarna. Others just remain. smile.gif

Cheers

Hope this work :)