Volka for SPS systems

Which vodkha brand normally you all use?

Absolut Vodka, anything 80 proof. 40 proof also can, just that using 40 proof follows a different chart (:

Also,

buy from DFS. Anyone going overseas this month? Get Absolut from DFS. You pay like $23 Sing for a 1L bottle compared to $64 in NTUC or other places. The cheapest non-DFS price I can find is at my friend's wine ###### liquershop called Barwerkz. Smirff 750ml going for like $35+.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member
Hi all, I would like to ask what type of vinegar do you guys use ?

Thought of trying this out for my system.

those you found in supermarket. get the pure one with no additives.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

Smirnoff is cheapest the last I bought from DFS.

For duty-paid vodka, I can get Smirnoff at $36 before GST (minimum 6 bottles) and Flieschmann at $33 before GST (minimum 6 bottles).

I still think its better to get from DFS anyway, 700ml will last very long.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

I read Vodka increases both the good and bad bacteria.

I do notice some caluliflower growth on my regal angel.

Not sure if that is due to the effect of the carbon dosing, but I turn on my UV just in case.

Anyone has such encounters or any downside of this dosing regime?

You are right bro, bacteria that feeds on carbon will thrive in the tank regardless whether they are beneficial to our hobby or not.

I figure if we were to introduce beneficial bacteria culture in the first place then encourage the growth with carbon dosing. We should be able to minimize or control the population of 'bad' bacteria within our systems.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Buy from DFS need to show passport then cheaper? Is this true?

Walk-in for locals also entitled to cheaper pricing?

Never purchase from DFS before. Pls advise

We are only allowed to buy from DFS if we leave the Singapore more than 2 nights. If I remember correctly leaving for Malaysia does not qualify for duty-free even if you fly first class.

Those DFS in town do not sell to Singaporean. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
We are only allowed to buy from DFS if we leave the Singapore more than 2 nights. If I remember correctly leaving for Malaysia does not qualify for duty-free even if you fly first class.

Those DFS in town do not sell to Singaporean. ;)

+1

just came back from Penang,

its true...

Malaysia is considered as "domestic flights",

does not qualify for duty-free...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

I used Glenn Vodka at $21 cheaper than Absolute Vodka about $64.

Both content 40% Alchohol

Thanks Marc to highliten the DSB issue. Obviously, I noticed the bad bac ie cyno, but restricted to the refugium itself thanks god. Lot of it. I read there are 12 bac in the sea good and bad. I just dont know which bac tt contributing directly to the zoosenthalae (dont know spell correctly or not) tt living in the SPS cell tissue. Do I have to back off the dosing? and slowly reduced my bioload and go back to the basic? Or I introduce the good bac like Mb7/probidio etc? Anyone care to share where to get those? Cld not find at RD even Polyart.

:thanks:

Any expert can address my problem here? Wanted to know how actually to regain my pink/red sps color back.:( Other color seem no problem.

Sorry Joe P dont mean to hijack your thread. Wish to share my experience.

Mix reef-Main tank 3x2.5x2.5ftA

TI 3ft 8tube

Hitachi compressor unit 1HP

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

1 x Coral Lab CR with Ph controller; 1X AquaMedic Kalk Reactor top off

Baby fish dosing kh/Sr&Kcl/mg

DI water thru kalkwasser

1 x Skimz Fr with BRS gfo

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker

Sump 3x1.5ft plumbed together with;

1.5ft cube live rock

Frag tank 5x1x1ft

You are right bro, bacteria that feeds on carbon will thrive in the tank regardless whether they are beneficial to our hobby or not.

I figure if we were to introduce beneficial bacteria culture in the first place then encourage the growth with carbon dosing. We should be able to minimize or control the population of 'bad' bacteria within our systems.

In carbon dosing,

we are merely tipping the balance in favour of 'good' bacteria and that's a delicate balance (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Below is a checklist I've found in RC under Sonny's thread.

Enjoy.

Quote from http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...93#post16159393

MB7 (Bottle Instructions.)

+

Vodka (or carbon) Dosing - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

=========================

Probiotic Reef Keeping.

Time to dose = during lights on seems best. MB7 into the display. Vodka into the sump.

Rules

1) Need a good skimmer

Noticed in Water testing

1) high nitrates = increase vodka as per instructions.

2) no Nitrate/Phos change in LONG time = try another carbon source like vinegar, sugar, biofule...

3) low nitrates = maintain till 0 then reduce to maintenence levels of vodka

4) Increase in Alk = stop dosing Cal / alk, test water change h20 for alk level. Decrease with large water changes and/or chemicals if it gets bad. Corals may stop taking Cal/ALK while getting used to Probiotic system & increased light.

4) new tank/build = follow instructions, stay close to the low side of dosing.

5) Phosphate being high = a round of GFO

Noticed in Algae/Bacteria Reaction

1) Bacterial Blooms (slimy white strings) = too much bacteria, decrease vodka dosing.

2) algae on glass after increase of MB7 = reduce MB7 :P

3) brown dusting or brown hair like stuff = decrease MB7 (also check http://www.rimlessreef.com/1/post/20...eament-of.html )

4) cyano = increase MB7 and/or lower/stop vodka dose. After the cyano has gone away restart the vodka from the initial or maintenence dose. If it's really bad consider a "lights out" period. If really really bad consider "Red Slime Remover."

5) peach fuzz = stop or decrease (especially vodka) dosing for a while (about a week or till the fuzz dies off) then start back up with the maintenance dose. OR This may also just go away in time.

6) glass and sand getting dirtier = dose more/feed less

Noticed in Live Stock Reaction

1) Corals losing color = more feeding, possibly Amino Acids, lower photo period an hour for a while.

2) Corals Burnt Tips = check alkalinity..get it to 7-8 dKH by stop dosing alk...maybe stop dosing EVERYTHING if it gets bad.

3) Monti caps bleaching = Cut the vodka dosage in half and stay there until the cap starts to color up and/or lower the lighting photoperiod for a bit or have a light "day off."

4) Everything dies = Blame the wife, kids, or something other than your own possible mistakes

Other

1) substrate hardening = keep it broken up and syphoned with water changes. Maintain a good high PH of 8.1 - 8.3

Sorry guys and ladies, I do not know a better way of posting this so I merely copy and paste. Hope this helps anyone who wants to do vodka dosing for a sps system. Basically IMHO, it's not 1+2=3 thing, quite difficult and must be damn hardworking on maintaining the dosage during the initial start-up.

So well, in short, good luck.

Any further problems and information just post it here. I'll go find the answers for you all haha (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Supporter
Below is a checklist I've found in RC under Sonny's thread.

Enjoy.

Quote from http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...93#post16159393

MB7 (Bottle Instructions.)

+

Vodka (or carbon) Dosing - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

=========================

Probiotic Reef Keeping.

Time to dose = during lights on seems best. MB7 into the display. Vodka into the sump.

Rules

1) Need a good skimmer

Noticed in Water testing

1) high nitrates = increase vodka as per instructions.

2) no Nitrate/Phos change in LONG time = try another carbon source like vinegar, sugar, biofule...

3) low nitrates = maintain till 0 then reduce to maintenence levels of vodka

4) Increase in Alk = stop dosing Cal / alk, test water change h20 for alk level. Decrease with large water changes and/or chemicals if it gets bad. Corals may stop taking Cal/ALK while getting used to Probiotic system & increased light.

4) new tank/build = follow instructions, stay close to the low side of dosing.

5) Phosphate being high = a round of GFO

Noticed in Algae/Bacteria Reaction

1) Bacterial Blooms (slimy white strings) = too much bacteria, decrease vodka dosing.

2) algae on glass after increase of MB7 = reduce MB7 :P

3) brown dusting or brown hair like stuff = decrease MB7 (also check http://www.rimlessreef.com/1/post/20...eament-of.html )

4) cyano = increase MB7 and/or lower/stop vodka dose. After the cyano has gone away restart the vodka from the initial or maintenence dose. If it's really bad consider a "lights out" period. If really really bad consider "Red Slime Remover."

5) peach fuzz = stop or decrease (especially vodka) dosing for a while (about a week or till the fuzz dies off) then start back up with the maintenance dose. OR This may also just go away in time.

6) glass and sand getting dirtier = dose more/feed less

Noticed in Live Stock Reaction

1) Corals losing color = more feeding, possibly Amino Acids, lower photo period an hour for a while.

2) Corals Burnt Tips = check alkalinity..get it to 7-8 dKH by stop dosing alk...maybe stop dosing EVERYTHING if it gets bad.

3) Monti caps bleaching = Cut the vodka dosage in half and stay there until the cap starts to color up and/or lower the lighting photoperiod for a bit or have a light "day off."

4) Everything dies = Blame the wife, kids, or something other than your own possible mistakes

Other

1) substrate hardening = keep it broken up and syphoned with water changes. Maintain a good high PH of 8.1 - 8.3

Sorry guys and ladies, I do not know a better way of posting this so I merely copy and paste. Hope this helps anyone who wants to do vodka dosing for a sps system. Basically IMHO, it's not 1+2=3 thing, quite difficult and must be damn hardworking on maintaining the dosage during the initial start-up.

So well, in short, good luck.

Any further problems and information just post it here. I'll go find the answers for you all haha (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Nice! thanks Marc for the nicely placed summary.

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter

Refering to good and bad bacteria, was wondering whether the introduction of Probiotics might tip the balance in favour of the good versus the bad bacteria issue ?

• SRC Supporter
I used Glenn Vodka at $21 cheaper than Absolute Vodka about $64.

Both content 40% Alchohol

Any expert can address my problem here? Wanted to know how actually to regain my pink/red sps color back.:( Other color seem no problem.

Sorry Joe P dont mean to hijack your thread. Wish to share my experience.

Not an issue my friend.

This thread was started for the purpose of information and experience sharing. and I can see that we all are heading the right direction. :peace:

Refering to good and bad bacteria, was wondering whether the introduction of Probiotics might tip the balance in favour of the good versus the bad bacteria issue ?

Hi Joe,

I personally believe so.

I remember a couple of years back when reefers were trying out the carbon theory by adding sugar, vinegar and vodka. Most started well but eventually realized that their tank condition deteriorated. It was then theorized that adding carbon source may cultivate a mono culture of bacteria depending on which will be more dominant.

Over the years, we have also seen the introduction of probiotics into many area in our life; from animal feeds to baby formulas.

Thus, I believe introducing probiotics and then feeding them is better than just adding any carbon source as we do not know what strains of bacteria in currently in our tank and will eventually dominate.

So far, I have had good experiences with Rowa, Prodibio, Pries and recently Microbe-lift.

;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Hi Joe,

I personally believe so.

I remember a couple of years back when reefers were trying out the carbon theory by adding sugar, vinegar and vodka. Most started well but eventually realized that their tank condition deteriorated. It was then theorized that adding carbon source may cultivate a mono culture of bacteria depending on which will be more dominant.

Over the years, we have also seen the introduction of probiotics into many area in our life; from animal feeds to baby formulas.

Thus, I believe introducing probiotics and then feeding them is better than just adding any carbon source as we do not know what strains of bacteria in currently in our tank and will eventually dominate.

So far, I have had good experiences with Rowa, Prodibio, Pries and recently Microbe-lift.

;)

^ +1

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Should keep on dosing the beneficial bacteria regularly.

Member of :

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

Hi Joe,

I personally believe so.

;)

Roger that, no worries when all the experts around!

Mix reef-Main tank 3x2.5x2.5ftA

TI 3ft 8tube

Hitachi compressor unit 1HP

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

1 x Coral Lab CR with Ph controller; 1X AquaMedic Kalk Reactor top off

Baby fish dosing kh/Sr&Kcl/mg

DI water thru kalkwasser

1 x Skimz Fr with BRS gfo

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor