Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

probably singapore's only biggest, bluest and fast growing BLUE CESPITULARIA! but not as rare as green neph lah :( photo taken with flash to show true colours. under normal t5 lighting the blue is not as intense and is more purple

Time to trim and cut.. LOL

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer
Time to trim and cut.. LOL

yup. made a few frags to test water. fragged 5 pieces, 3 with joe, 1 with fuel and 1 with me. mine floated away and MIA ._. fuel's 1 encrusted and doing very well. looks like they do quite well when fragged. will plan to frag more in future. u interested? :P

yup. made a few frags to test water. fragged 5 pieces, 3 with joe, 1 with fuel and 1 with me. mine floated away and MIA ._. fuel's 1 encrusted and doing very well. looks like they do quite well when fragged. will plan to frag more in future. u interested? :P

Of course, but wait when my tank is up... Haha.. Love to collect all these rare softies since my tank will be a softies tank...

I take queue number first ah... :lol:^_^

Member of:

• Senior Reefer
Of course, but wait when my tank is up... Haha.. Love to collect all these rare softies since my tank will be a softies tank...

I take queue number first ah... :lol:^_^

sure. :D fuel and i on a mission to collect rare softies now hehe... will go to all end's to get them. next up, xenia umbelleta ;D

If one leather costs SGD $6. How much will 100 of them cost? :rolleyes:

Soft corals are my favourite corals, partly due to the reason they are hardy and cheap. But $600 for a sinularia is OMG!! I can get a trio of rhomboid w tat price le.

xenia umbelleta cannot get from CF. some softies can't obtain even at CF. although i have found some very very rare stuff at CF, some things just... cant get :(

Some are just not collected... But haven heard of red sea coral shipment before leh...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer
Some are just not collected... But haven heard of red sea coral shipment before leh...

there's a way to get, but not from our local LFS. when get liao will post here :D

it's a shame xenia umbelleta isnt collected. they are extremely extremely abundant in the red sea. 9/10 red sea photos will feature this coral growing in the background. for the same amount of effort chasing a sohal or a purple tang, 20 colonies of x. umbelleta can be harvested haha. they are really abundant in the states though.

there's even a red sea anthellia.... with big white feathery polyps.

there's a way to get, but not from our local LFS. when get liao will post here :D

it's a shame xenia umbelleta isnt collected. they are extremely extremely abundant in the red sea. 9/10 red sea photos will feature this coral growing in the background. for the same amount of effort chasing a sohal or a purple tang, 20 colonies of x. umbelleta can be harvested haha. they are really abundant in the states though.

there's even a red sea anthellia.... with big white feathery polyps.

Self import lor... But lazy to go thru the process again...

A pity softies are not really appreciated in Singapore... Maybe this thread will hint some sponsors to bring in..

Member of:

• Senior Reefer
Self import lor... But lazy to go thru the process again...

A pity softies are not really appreciated in Singapore... Maybe this thread will hint some sponsors to bring in..

i don't know why they aren't appreciated. most reefers stereotype softies as cheap, beginner and brown. but they're just not. xenias on its own add so much life to a tank. especialy umbeletta with their tireless mega pulsation. cespitularia is just so blue, and sofites come in so much colours. the most neon green of corals comes from softies.

think most reefers don't know what the have to offer and just steer towards the stereotypical SPS and LPS. for softies? just go into zoas.

• SRC Member
i don't know why they aren't appreciated. most reefers stereotype softies as cheap, beginner and brown. but they're just not. xenias on its own add so much life to a tank. especialy umbeletta with their tireless mega pulsation. cespitularia is just so blue, and sofites come in so much colours. the most neon green of corals comes from softies.

think most reefers don't know what the have to offer and just steer towards the stereotypical SPS and LPS. for softies? just go into zoas.

I think the main problem in Singapore is that the number of reefers is not that large and the market for corals is not that big either. Thus, LFS will only bring in corals that they know can sell quickly or corals that they hope will be able to sell quickly. Most LFS I've spoken to are very hesitant about bringing in corals that are seldom sold in Singapore as they are worried about whether they will even be able to sell the corals. Likewise, you see every LFS bringing in Florida rics but nobody wants to bring in the Carribean rhodactics. :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

I think the main problem in Singapore is that the number of reefers is not that large and the market for corals is not that big either. Thus, LFS will only bring in corals that they know can sell quickly or corals that they hope will be able to sell quickly. Most LFS I've spoken to are very hesitant about bringing in corals that are seldom sold in Singapore as they are worried about whether they will even be able to sell the corals. Likewise, you see every LFS bringing in Florida rics but nobody wants to bring in the Carribean rhodactics. :whistle

Ya, but like what peter says most LFS dun wanna risk to bring in new corals that dun know will the respond be good anot.. they would rather stick to importing the same old coral that sell well..

So i guess this thread should work as most LFS will see and maybe feel more comfortable to bring in these rare softies..

Member of:

• SRC Member
Ya, but like what peter says most LFS dun wanna risk to bring in new corals that dun know will the respond be good anot.. they would rather stick to importing the same old coral that sell well..

So i guess this thread should work as most LFS will see and maybe feel more comfortable to bring in these rare softies..

Rare corals which have never been sold in Singapore are a bit difficult for the LFS to bring in as they really have no idea whether they will be able to sell or whether they will be stuck with the coral for eternity... :upsidedown:

Secondly, the rare corals are usually very expensive and unless a reefer is willing to pay upfront for the coral, I do not think that the LFS would be willing to ship in 1 or 2 pieces just to test the market. :eyebrow:

End of the day, I think the only way to move forward will be that reefers start to ask their LFSes to bring in these rare corals and showcase these corals to the rest of the community here. But we will require reefers with deep pockets to kick start this process and in due time, when there is demand for these corals, our LFS may then bring these in on a more regular basis.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• Senior Reefer

hmm carribean rhodactis huh? k will bring it in along with the xenia umbeletta muahaha.

agree with the lack of unique corals here. need a lfs to showcase to members here first and make sure they fly off the shelf. dont worry, in due time we might have something to look forward to.

• SRC Member
probably singapore's only biggest, bluest and fast growing BLUE CESPITULARIA! but not as rare as green neph lah :( photo taken with flash to show true colours. under normal t5 lighting the blue is not as intense and is more purple

Wow, I want a frag!

Thanks!

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

• SRC Member
hmm carribean rhodactis huh? k will bring it in along with the xenia umbeletta muahaha.

agree with the lack of unique corals here. need a lfs to showcase to members here first and make sure they fly off the shelf. dont worry, in due time we might have something to look forward to.

Carribean rhodactis already brought in during the last shipment... :eyebrow: But these are the normal colours. Rare colours like red, orange etc will be coming in soon... :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List: