Wavemaker

Hi Guys,

Newbie here trying to start a tank... Tank ordered, but everything else is still in planning stage.

One Question:

Do we need a wavemaker for a FOWLR tank?

I wanted to get a MP 10 , but the problem is that MR10 only allow maximum of 9.5mm glass and my tank glass is going to be 12 mm.

Any advise or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

EDIT: The size of the tank is 3 by 1.5 by 2. (sorry, left that out)

Agreed wavemakers can be very beneficial even in FOWLR setups for improved circulation and preventing the buildup of detritus.

As a plus you will find that some of your fish will spend quite a lot of time playing in the current.

You do want to ensure that your wavemaker is not too powerful for your tank though.

• 4 months later...

Agreed wavemakers can be very beneficial even in FOWLR setups for improved circulation and preventing the buildup of detritus.

As a plus you will find that some of your fish will spend quite a lot of time playing in the current.

You do want to ensure that your wavemaker is not too powerful for your tank though.

What if the wavemaker is stronger than needed but not too strong to that extreme, would it affect the fishes ?

• SRC Member

What if the wavemaker is stronger than needed but not too strong to that extreme, would it affect the fishes ?

if you see your fishes struggling to swim every second, yes it would as the fishes might be in a tornado.

the fishes should be swimming happily <-- dont know how to describe but surely can see one haha :chair:

• SRC Member

Yes... Wavemaker will be good to have.

Fishes will play against the current.

And play more use more energy then will eventually eat more.

End day = healthy fish.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

if you see your fishes struggling to swim every second, yes it would as the fishes might be in a tornado.

the fishes should be swimming happily <-- dont know how to describe but surely can see one haha :chair:

haha! I see. Thanks.

sometimes I was just wondering what is their limit on that.

For example, in a 6ft tank, may be we may need 2 wavemaker to reach the ideal optimal wave strength as example, but if only 1 wavemaker is inside, so they may still swim well, maybe I should have added 2nd wavemaker then they are happier, haha.

• SRC Member

erm,6 feet tank imo should at least have 4 wavemakers and 2 returns (also depends on the pump litres/hour)

my 5 feet tank have one return pump + 4 wavemakers (it's just enough for fishes)...

erm,6 feet tank imo should at least have 4 wavemakers and 2 returns (also depends on the pump litres/hour)

my 5 feet tank have one return pump + 4 wavemakers (it's just enough for fishes)...

Wow! then mine is definitely under strength. Only 1 wavemaker in my 5ft. :paiseh:

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

I have a Tunze Wavebox, a Tunze 6045 and a Tunze 6025 in my 3 footer. :)

I would say just nice.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

highly recommend if its within budget and you can afford the space in the tank. Will remove detritus and is beneficial for all tanks.

However for the wavemaker to serve this purpose, it should not be solely used to create a one-directional current. It is best to use a wavemaker that causes a pulsing / swosh effect. this way all your detritus will stay in suspension and get drawn into the filter.

Cheers!

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

2 Wave marker?

I think no need lah.. my return is quite strong, i'm using a MP 10, i think it is sufficient...

If i add one more, the clown will be sticking to the wall :)

LOL stick to the wall.. Just like kick start a turbo car. :yahoo:

• SRC Member

LOL stick to the wall.. Just like kick start a turbo car. :yahoo:

Next time can try rearing fish in washing machine liao.... idea31.gifidea31.gif

Change water also easy!

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daryl68

hi guys, with a few wavemakers in tank, do your tanks have chiller?

my worry is heating up the water cos i don't have chiller (mine is fowlr tank).

Thanks

• SRC Member

hi guys, with a few wavemakers in tank, do your tanks have chiller?

my worry is heating up the water cos i don't have chiller (mine is fowlr tank).

Thanks

nope bro,generally tangs and angels can survive in ambient temp.

only for those deep sea fishes you will need it,