Culturing Tigger Pods

Terryz_

Went thru Reef Nutrition Website and found out that it is possible to culture tigger pods in a stand alone container..

Is there anyone doing it now... It is quite useful for feeding finicky fishes, small fishes and possibility fish larvae or seahorse fries(I hope)...

And maybe cut down on the cost of buying tigger pods every now and then as it is quite expensive and get used up very fast...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Went thru Reef Nutrition Website and found out that it is possible to culture tigger pods in a stand alone container..

Is there anyone doing it now... It is quite useful for feeding finicky fishes, small fishes and possibility fish larvae or seahorse fries(I hope)...

And maybe cut down on the cost of buying tigger pods every now and then as it is quite expensive and get used up very fast...

i am doing it, never kept a refegium before but there is nothing great about this poddy thingy. you can get it from your LR in a well established tank. i place some tigger pods inside a container filled with salt water (ofcoz) and chaeto. then some in the fridge. well all alive.

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

i am doing it, never kept a refegium before but there is nothing great about this poddy thingy. you can get it from your LR in a well established tank. i place some tigger pods inside a container filled with salt water (ofcoz) and chaeto. then some in the fridge. well all alive.

I think it is a different species... Maybe wrong, but these tigger pods seems like free swimming pods rather than those pods tat crawl in our rocks and glass wall...

Erm, I meant culturing them so that we can get a constant supply as they reproduce... Are they reproducing in your seperate containers? Are you feeding them?

Member of:

• SRC Member
I think it is a different species... Maybe wrong, but these tigger pods seems like free swimming pods rather than those pods tat crawl in our rocks and glass wall...

Erm, I meant culturing them so that we can get a constant supply as they reproduce... Are they reproducing in your seperate containers? Are you feeding them?

Arent they still pods. Well i don know if they are reproducing or not as i never really count them. Yes i am feeding them.

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
Arent they still pods. Well i don know if they are reproducing or not as i never really count them. Yes i am feeding them.

Bro, can I ask, wad u feed this pods?? As they are way too small. U feed them with nbbs??

Thanks.

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

Erm, Yea... But the pods is our tank are sparsely distributed within all the rocks and it will not be enough for those fishes that require live pods, like Mandarins,Scooter blenny ,Clingfishes and Pipefishes... Culturing will give us a chance to feed the fishes in high concentration of the live pods that will help fill their stomach as we train them to frozen food (of course apply to small fishes only)... LOL...

I think roughly can tell? The concentration of the pods should be quite visible if there are any changes in number? You feeding them phytofeast or a different phyto product?

Member of:

• SRC Member
Phyto and rotifers... Anything smaller than 250 Microns... Best is Brown Algaes...

oh, thanks for the reply brother. :D

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member

If u are planning to culture live tigger pod, think it will be easier to do it with BBS since all that feed on tigger pod will readily feed on Live BBS. Its easier to culture BBS.

Instruction on culturing tigger pods.

http://www.reed-mariculture.com/copepod/

Cheers

JC

If u are planning to culture live tigger pod, think it will be easier to do it with BBS since all that feed on tigger pod will readily feed on Live BBS. Its easier to culture BBS.

Instruction on culturing tigger pods.

http://www.reed-mariculture.com/copepod/

Cheers

JC

Hmm... I think Tigger pods can survive longer and live in our reef environment if left uneaten.. I actually find BBS more difficult to culture due to the eggshell they leave behind...

Thanks for the info...

Member of:

• SRC Member
Hmm... I think Tigger pods can survive longer and live in our reef environment if left uneaten.. I actually find BBS more difficult to culture due to the eggshell they leave behind...

Thanks for the info...

do note that i did see in RC that tiggerpods need cooler then 25c temps, for me i seperated all my culturing, in my current tank's sump , in my new tank, in a culturing tank and i leave a little in the original container and top up with newly made saltmix and green phytoplanton, still waiting to see in what conditions will they be breeding well

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

do note that i did see in RC that tiggerpods need cooler then 25c temps, for me i seperated all my culturing, in my current tank's sump , in my new tank, in a culturing tank and i leave a little in the original container and top up with newly made saltmix and green phytoplanton, still waiting to see in what conditions will they be breeding well

Wow... That is a lot of places.. Hope to see some results soon... Haha... The phyto what brand are you using? Phytofeast?

Member of:

• SRC Supporter

isit practical to feed ur food to feed ur fish?

also jc85 is quite right on those that feeds.

fishes like mandarin and scooter feeds very often each day. if they survive on ur feed alone they may waste off in the end.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

isit practical to feed ur food to feed ur fish?

also jc85 is quite right on those that feeds.

fishes like mandarin and scooter feeds very often each day. if they survive on ur feed alone they may waste off in the end.

I dunno but I feed it is quite normal if you are feeding live food... For example, feeding mealworms/cricket to arowana or birds, you will need to feed/gutload the live food for the live food to survive so that you will get healthy live food and constant supply to feed the aro/bird...

Ppl also culture rotifers to feed their fish larvae, isnt it feed your food to feed your fishes?

I am not saying relying solely on tigger pods for the survival for mandarin and scooter... It can be a substitute while weaning them onto frozen/pellet which could take some time... And there are no harm having more pods in your tank... And I still feel that feeding live is better than feeding frozen and pellets...

BBS might be saltwater based but they dun survive in marine condition for long whereas Tiggerpods might survive and even reproduce in our tank... But the part where they need 25C, that I am not very sure...

All are just my personal views... ^_^

Member of:

• SRC Member

I've nvr culture tigger pod b4 but Reef Nutrition advise keeping the temp between 25 to 30.

As for the shell of BBS, u can get those decapsulated eggs or diy (bleaching). http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/c2/Dec...p-Eggs-c21.html http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa023

Cheers

JC

• SRC Supporter
I dunno but I feed it is quite normal if you are feeding live food... For example, feeding mealworms/cricket to arowana or birds, you will need to feed/gutload the live food for the live food to survive so that you will get healthy live food and constant supply to feed the aro/bird...

Ppl also culture rotifers to feed their fish larvae, isnt it feed your food to feed your fishes?

I am not saying relying solely on tigger pods for the survival for mandarin and scooter... It can be a substitute while weaning them onto frozen/pellet which could take some time... And there are no harm having more pods in your tank... And I still feel that feeding live is better than feeding frozen and pellets...

BBS might be saltwater based but they dun survive in marine condition for long whereas Tiggerpods might survive and even reproduce in our tank... But the part where they need 25C, that I am not very sure...

All are just my personal views... ^_^

hey,u have a point there too.. but if we are talking about breeding and all, yes we feed our feeds food to make them more nutrients rich to our pets.

if u notice, alot of food like pellets and all are sold. why? bcos they are convinent to us.

if u talk about selling pods and ffeed them and feed ur fishes for hobby wise. it can be sellable for the first few wks to few users.

but after awhile u notice pple complaining the pods dies in the bottle bcos they did not feed them in time and the pods in turn pollute ur tank water.

wkly enriching ur livestock is good. but how many of us in a society like SG now got the time to do such?

anyway juz trying to voice out the possible outcome if u guys decided to breed them to sell. u can also breed ur own pods from lr. it works :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

I've nvr culture tigger pod b4 but Reef Nutrition advise keeping the temp between 25 to 30.

As for the shell of BBS, u can get those decapsulated eggs or diy (bleaching). http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/c2/Dec...p-Eggs-c21.html http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa023

Cheers

JC

25 to 30 degree should be within our temperature range bah...

Yupz, I know about the decap eggs, but bought a packet from my fren and they dun hatch.. Hehe.. Maybe biased against BBS but I do feed BBS to my other FW fishes...

Member of:

hey,u have a point there too.. but if we are talking about breeding and all, yes we feed our feeds food to make them more nutrients rich to our pets.

if u notice, alot of food like pellets and all are sold. why? bcos they are convinent to us.

if u talk about selling pods and ffeed them and feed ur fishes for hobby wise. it can be sellable for the first few wks to few users.

but after awhile u notice pple complaining the pods dies in the bottle bcos they did not feed them in time and the pods in turn pollute ur tank water.

wkly enriching ur livestock is good. but how many of us in a society like SG now got the time to do such?

anyway juz trying to voice out the possible outcome if u guys decided to breed them to sell. u can also breed ur own pods from lr. it works :)

Ya, I agree that it is too much of a hassle to breed pods just for hobby wise and I never really thought of selling it too... Dun think many will use them long term... I am more thinking in terms of my own usage... As I have tendency to buy those finicky eaters, Clingfish and Pipefish and etc...

I do use pellets too but hope to add a bit of live food into their diet would be good..

It is already noticeable with reef nutrition tigger pods, many say there are some pods that are dead in the bottle...

I heard about the breeding of own pods but I cant seem to catch him.. LOL...

Member of:

Terry, keep me posted on your developement/ findings.

Am thinking of hanging a refugium on my tank to breed pods :)

Mandarin & clingfish getting thinner by the day. :(

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
Terry, keep me posted on your developement/ findings.

Am thinking of hanging a refugium on my tank to breed pods :)

Mandarin & clingfish getting thinner by the day. :(

in a well established tank there should be alot of these pods. jackt that sounds cool abt your hanging refugium. then use it to house your injured coral.

in a well established tank there should be alot of these pods. jackt that sounds cool abt your hanging refugium. then use it to house your injured coral.

let me try to get it pass my wife 1st.

she's already not so happy with an cannister placed outside.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!