clam care

lotsofloo

• SRC Member
remember to put the clam higher up when using t5 :)

My tank is 18 inch tall, do i stll need to put it higher up. Yes t5 will be 8 inch away from the tank.

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

My tank is 18 inch tall, do i stll need to put it higher up. Yes t5 will be 8 inch away from the tank.

Not really.

Actually clams can survive on the sandbed away from T5.

Contrary to common myth, T5 actually produce a stronger par-par ratio than MH (:

That's why bro. Lemon you should be starting to keep SPS soon! :D hahaha.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Not really.

Actually clams can survive on the sandbed away from T5.

Contrary to common myth, T5 actually produce a stronger par-par ratio than MH (:

That's why bro. Lemon you should be starting to keep SPS soon! :D hahaha.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

so am i right to say that actually a clam will do just fine if you put it on the sandbed with light around 1ft away?

• SRC Member

is it adequate to give a clam 42 watts of t5 light for a clam in a 8 g tank which is i feet tall

42 watts t5?

I dont think that's high output bro. but you can try. but if the clam is not doing well, you need to change to something better, like a 1ft MH (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

42 watts t5?

I dont think that's high output bro. but you can try. but if the clam is not doing well, you need to change to something better, like a 1ft MH (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

a Giessemann Nova II 150 W perhaps??

That will do nicely :eyebrow:

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
is it adequate to give a clam 42 watts of t5 light for a clam in a 8 g tank which is i feet tall

i have success with keeping clams at 1 feet dept from the lights for the last few months... the lights i am using is total of 36 watts of PL lights...

am still monitoring the clams to ensure that the lights are sufficient... Thot i'll just share this point with you...

nonetheless Mh is definately better... :upsidedown:

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

i have success with keeping clams at 1 feet dept from the lights for the last few months... the lights i am using is total of 36 watts of PL lights...

am still monitoring the clams to ensure that the lights are sufficient... Thot i'll just share this point with you...

nonetheless Mh is definately better... :upsidedown:

well I was using MH and both clams died in 1 month. :upsidedown:

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

a Giessemann Nova II 150 W perhaps??

That will do nicely :eyebrow:

That will do :rolleyes:

I think it's not about lightings for clams. Water quality also play a part. I do have a squamosa in my 1ft cube since Sept 2008. It was from CF and still doing good even though I have been quite lazy all these while. But well with strong lights, minimal feeding is required.

Anyway my Nova II is going for $250. :off:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

will clams tolerate nitrate?

If nitrate is too high, no. There are a lot of articles on the net about clams care, one of it is here.

Clams need high calcium level and strong lighting. Temperature is not a major concern. Nitrate maintain at 20ppm or lower is safe, anyway clams are known to filter water and reduce over nitrate level. Read up more on the net and u'll learn clams are not recommended for beginner because of their high requirement for lights and calcium.

I also killed a poor Crocea this way, I didn't take enough time to acclimatize it from a deep tank lit with T5s before I moved it under a 150w MH.

The clam looked like it was doing well for the first week and was colouring up very nicely.

Then it started wasting away and died about 1 1/2 weeks later.

• SRC Member
I also killed a poor Crocea this way, I didn't take enough time to acclimatize it from a deep tank lit with T5s before I moved it under a 150w MH.

The clam looked like it was doing well for the first week and was colouring up very nicely.

Then it started wasting away and died about 1 1/2 weeks later.

Seems to have happened to my clams too. I thought it was some disease that killed them.

Bro, I think i also bought a maxima from the same batch as you frm CF. Also died after a month. But the crocea, it's neighbour, i got from Iwarna is still going strong. I'm also using MH. Is there such a thing as must acclimatize the clam to different lighting? Cos CF using LED for their clam display. Till today, still dunno why it jus died like that