FuEl's 5 gallon pico reef

FuEl

• SRC Member

You can try Fauna Marin Power Trace 1-4. This is available from either MarineLife (only 250ml bottle in stock) or Iwarna (both 250ml and 500ml bottles in stock). The dosage is a maximum of 10ml/100L per week. This dosage can be lower depending on your nutrient concentration and your amount of corals. For your JBJ 28 Gallon tank, your maximum dose will be about 10ml per week after taking water displacement by rocks, sand, etc. You start with around 2.5ml per week and slowly increase the dosage while observing how the corals respond. So a single 500ml bottle will last you more than a year. That's about $11 per month on trace elements if you get Power Trace 1-4 in 500ml bottles.

Dosing frequency simply means splitting up the dose needed to maintain your Ca/kH/Mg levels into many smaller doses. For example for my 5 gallon pico tank, I am currently dosing 16ml of Part A & 16ml of Part B a day. I split this dose into 24 dosing intervals, meaning each dose at any one time is around 0.66ml. If I only set 4 intervals to dose this amount, each dose will be 4ml. 4ml of sodium bicarbonate into 5 gallons of water at one shot will cause a sharp rise in kH and such shock to corals do not promote optimal growth.

You can opt for Balling Light Method, the trace elements are added in to you Ca/Mg/kH solutions and you do not have to dose the trace elements individually anymore.

http://www.reef-support.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=4

Thanks so much for the useful info :)

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

Some photos as promised. Suffered some abuse during Aquarama period but slowly recovering. Skimmerless still. :)

Top shot of left side. One of the blue LEDS blew, the corals are browning a little due to spectrum shift.

img7433u.jpg

Right side a little better due to more blue spectrum.

img7422h.jpg

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

Updates..

041211fts.jpg

Wow, Junkai! that is a fantastic looking nano SPS tank! tempting! amazing looking tank!

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

• 2 months later...

Sure but no rare fishes in my tank after two Stonogobiops xanthorhinica jumped, leaving only only a nocturna goby and a neon eviota. Invertebrates 3-4 black squat lobsters with yellow stripes, 1 red squat lobster with yellow stripes.

Been using Blue Treasure SPS salt for the past 2 weeks. I guess as long as salt mix is prepared properly there's no real issue.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• Senior Reefer

no need to have rare fish lah.

i need to branch out and write about other things than rare fish though.

ok but the article might not be up too soon because i'm backed up with a few unreleased ones now. but i see if i can push it up. you got any updated shots? full tank, top down etc.

• 2 years later...
  • SRC Member

Sorry to dig up this thread.

Just curious to know if the tank is still running?

If it has been decommed, may I know why?

This tank has been my inspiration to achieve success with my 2ft SPS tank since I've started keeping SPS.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• 4 weeks later...
Nice big tank you have bro
It's only 5 gallons.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.