Green Mandarin

sanjaypills55

• SRC Member

I intend to buy a green mandarin & train it to eat frozen food in a floating box inside the tank.

My question is:

I already have a spotted mandarin in the tank, will they fight if i keep them both in the same tank!

Anybody has any experience in keeping 2 mandarin in the same tank, do they fight?

2nd question is has anybody successfully trained a mandarin fish to eat frozen food?

Thanks in advance for you answers!

:rolleyes:

• SRC Member
I intend to buy a green mandarin & train it to eat frozen food in a floating box inside the tank.

My question is:

I already have a spotted mandarin in the tank, will they fight if i keep them both in the same tank!

Anybody has any experience in keeping 2 mandarin in the same tank, do they fight?

2nd question is has anybody successfully trained a mandarin fish to eat frozen food?

Thanks in advance for you answers!

:rolleyes:

not sure about spotted mandarin and green mandarin,

but i used to keep 2 green mandarin..

one male one female..

have to be different sex, if not they will fight..

as for training mandarin to eat frozen,

i'm sure there're many success stories from other reefers out there..

the mandarins i got are already feeding on frozen when i bought them..

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

I've got a pair of green mandarins, and just introduced a spotted mandarin last week. They're all happy ding a ling together. :)

Mines a 4 ft tank with plenty of rock real estate for them to roam without meeting often. But I saw them with 15 cm of each other just now, and all ok.

• SRC Member
not sure about spotted mandarin and green mandarin,

but i used to keep 2 green mandarin..

one male one female..

have to be different sex, if not they will fight..

as for training mandarin to eat frozen,

i'm sure there're many success stories from other reefers out there..

the mandarins i got are already feeding on frozen when i bought them..

Sorry to hijack ... bro, when you drop the frozen, they openly go after it ? just asked bcoz mine also feeding, but slowly seems enjoying more nipping on pods he finds ...

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
Sorry to hijack ... bro, when you drop the frozen, they openly go after it ? just asked bcoz mine also feeding, but slowly seems enjoying more nipping on pods he finds ...

actually i kinda target feed it..

i always pick this particular area that my mandarin hangs out,

squirt some out..

no doubt other fishes will be there to grab some of it,

but it'll chase after the frozen food and peck on it..

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
actually i kinda target feed it..

i always pick this particular area that my mandarin hangs out,

squirt some out..

no doubt other fishes will be there to grab some of it,

but it'll chase after the frozen food and peck on it..

ok, I ended up trying to target feed with arctic copepods ... Coz it stopped feeding frozen <_<

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Mixed reactions about keeping 2 mandarins...

it hard to know the sex of the mandarins so cant even make a pair!

Reg poomoon question!

given a choice green mandarins will eat pods, but pod populations are limited in the tank & may not be able enough for the fish!

So if u train the mandarin in isolation in a small container u can make them eat frozen food..

But green mandarins are quite fussy, there is always a chance they might starve but still not eat the frozen food...

• SRC Member
ok, I ended up trying to target feed with arctic copepods ... Coz it stopped feeding frozen <_<

Oh so u got the artic copepods... :eyebrow: Maybe you should check with Jacky if feeding artic copepods is a good long term solution.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

If your spotted mandarin is doing well in yr tank, l would not add another to compete food with it. In the end, you prob lose both as mandarins are not easy to keep. Unless your current spotted is feeding frozen food very well and not many fishes are snatching its food.

Some may have bought those already feeding on frozen food (worse if bought a pair) but once into their community tanks with big fishes like tangs and angels, the mandarin starts to waste away as they are not as fast as the rest, and there are also not many pods for them to depend on.

Oh so u got the artic copepods... :eyebrow: Maybe you should check with Jacky if feeding artic copepods is a good long term solution.

definitely no no imo.

keep them feeding on frozen.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
definitely no no imo.

keep them feeding on frozen.

Jacky, so u still going Jireh today?

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a pair from Henry, got them to feed on live brine shrimp, then graduate to frozen brine shrimp. Even took Henry's gourmet food. But it is laborious to feed them frankly, having to battle shrimp and fast fishes, not to mention the algae that is caused by the pollution (inevitably excess amount of food get poured in to get them to eat a bit).

• 2 weeks later...
Got a pair from Henry, got them to feed on live brine shrimp, then graduate to frozen brine shrimp. Even took Henry's gourmet food. But it is laborious to feed them frankly, having to battle shrimp and fast fishes, not to mention the algae that is caused by the pollution (inevitably excess amount of food get poured in to get them to eat a bit).

Pls show the picture of the pair mandarin fish....

• SRC Member
it hard to know the sex of the mandarins so cant even make a pair!

Bro, I'm a bit late to reply but hope you see it. They are quite easy to tell apart, the male is usually larger and has more green on its face, as opposed to the female with pinkish/red face. Also, the male mandarin has that distinctive dorsal fin like an alien antenna on the head!

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey