please read this first if you are a newbie

• SRC Supporter

When posting a question and seeking for help, we will need you to provide us as much information as you can about your tank / system, with as much details as possible being given so as to let us and the rest of us analyse and troubleshoot your problems faster and easier.

Some of the pertinent details should include:

1. How old is your system, inclusive of the cycling period.

2. What kind of system type are you running in terms of natural filtration (Jaubert, Berlin, modified berlin, DSB, etc).

3. System volume including sump.

4. Water flow (incl equipment used to achieve it).

5. Filtration type (refugium, skimmer, skimmerless etc).

6. Additional filtration types (chemical eg. GAC, polyfilters etc and mechanical eg. filter wool)

7. Lighting photoperiod, scheme, color temp, type and wattage (NO flourescents, T5, Power compacts, Metal halides).

8. Water parameters (esp. salinity, ammonia, nitrites/nitrates, temperature, calcium, alkalinity, PH etc)

9. Test kits used to measure the above (brand names and age of test kits).

10. Stocking of your tank (number & types of coral, fish, inverts, etc).

11. Additives used (kalkwasser, B-Ionic, calcium reactor, trace elements etc).

12. Feeding (types of food and feeding schedule).

13. The last thing you remember doing to your tank before the problem occured.

14. How long have you been in this hobby (it would give us a rough indication of your experience).

Before you ask questions, we hope that you have at least read through a good marine aquarium book or read the pinned up links in the New to the Hobby forum for the basics of the marine hobby.

A lot of wasted time could have been avoided if SOME effort have been made on the part of the hobbyist in terms of research and knowledge-gathering.

Knowledge is key to success in this hobby and it is EXPECTED of a serious and responsible hobbyist to learn as much as he can before attempting anything that he is not even 99% unsure of.

Some mistakes cannot be undone. Livestock cannot be reincarnated or be resusitated. Money cannot be made back so quickly.

Be a Responsible Reefer!

Happy Reefing!

• SRC Member

"Money cannot be made back so quickly." Very true.... ^_^

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

l like that..."Some mistakes cannot be undone. Livestock cannot be reincarnated or be resusitated." Lives are precious, even though some may be as affordable as $1 per fish. Once, l was so tempted and nearly bought a sabae anemone after the LFS told me very easy to keep and can last many years. Decided to go back to check in the internet and found out that most species are dyed, cannot live long in captivity and needs strong light and flow. Glad l did not buy that anemone on impulse or else that poor thing would most likely perished in my tank. Advices from reefers in this forum can sometimes be are far more accurate than those from the LFS in my opinion.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • SRC Supporter
Can anyone advise what are these items for: ~

ceramic rings - 

Carbon packets -

Bio Earth~

Ceramic rings are biological filter for bacteria to grow on. Is the bioearth white powder ? If so, it is a form of clay that help to bonds particles in the water in order to be removed easier.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter
Can I ask how long do I need to cycle the water before adding livestock?

It can go up to 30 days. Best is get a test kit to test the water parameters.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

Most important is stack as much as u can for the media then don't add any fish for the 1st 1.5month and throw in a market prawn in the tank let it cycle 1.5 month should be ok and change off 50% of the water and start add 1-2 fish that is not expensive and see for 2-3week if everything ok then u can go on with what u want

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

I do not keep sps only softies and lps. I use API test kits and find that it is good enough. Have been using them for the past 2 years. I only test for KH weekly. Calcium and Mg monthly. My parameterrs are stable once the correct dosing is established and I dose manually. Semi retired thus can spare the time to do daily dosing at the fixed time early in the morning.

• SRC Supporter
To all masters, if boh lui, is the API reef master test kit good enough to measure parameters?

Use salifest or nyos instead, it give a more reliable reading.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I'm currently using Teko TK 2000 and would like to check if it is normal for the temperature to fluctuate about 1.5 degrees Celsius constantly?
I set the temp at 25 Deg Celcius as the base and it fluctuates up to 26.4 Deg Celsius before the fan kicks in and drop the temp to 25. Then once it reaches 25, the fan will turn off and then the temp will go up to 26.4.

Is it common for chillers to be doing that?

Thank you in advance!

• SRC Member

Hi, I'm currently using Teko TK 2000 and would like to check if it is normal for the temperature to fluctuate about 1.5 degrees Celsius constantly?
I set the temp at 25 Deg Celcius as the base and it fluctuates up to 26.4 Deg Celsius before the fan kicks in and drop the temp to 25. Then once it reaches 25, the fan will turn off and then the temp will go up to 26.4.

Is it common for chillers to be doing that?

Thank you in advance!

Got a few things u need to consider.

Did you use a good thermometer to measure your tank temp after the chiller stop about 15 min? This will give u the actual temp of your tank.

Cause when the chiller is chilling, the return flow area will be cooler normally is the sump area.

U also need to consider the flow rate to the chiller, too slow ur chiller will hit 25 deg very fast and stop chilling liao. So u need to adjust the flow rate.

U also need to set the deg adjustment to match ur tank temp, I not sure about Teko can do this or not.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...