Ten's 2by1by1 Nano

tench1

Hi fellow reefers, its time for me to start recording and charting my own very 1st nano tank that i will be setting up myself.

Just a brief intro and specifications for Tiger Nano;

Size: 2FT by 1 FT by 1FT

Bio-Filtration: Biohome+++ 3/4Kg/Live-Rocks Chips/ Seachem Gel/ Filter Wool

Return Pump: Aquabee 2000L

Lights: TBC

Chiller Fan: Cooler Master

Cycling of water will start this saturday. The plan is to buy NSW and dosing of Bio-clean into the Biohome+ & 1 pce of small market prawn to kick start the whole process.

Cocept of set-up, shall be bare-bottom!!

Feel free to drop your comments and i will be glad to read.

:thanks:

TEN

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Interesting concept, but shouldn't the overflow be raised further as the water level would be rather low? Unless you're planning to make waves with the Vortech... :eyebrow: You might wanna consider placing some mesh at the bottom to prevent curious inhabitants from slipping through.

yeah bro, I'm curious how your IOS works too. So far can only identify an underflow system from your setup. Care to share?

Hotsoup bro, yeah its a underflow system.

Comycus bro, you are right. The underflow works like this. Follow the water flow indicated in red arrows.

20179_270771964598_673354598_3403309_222

After which, gg thru the mediums, and end up in the AB2000L motor, then back to the main compartment.

:rolleyes:

Interesting concept, but shouldn't the overflow be raised further as the water level would be rather low? Unless you're planning to make waves with the Vortech... :eyebrow: You might wanna consider placing some mesh at the bottom to prevent curious inhabitants from slipping through.

Hi Peace, so far, the water level expected should be approx 25~28cm. Hence, i would consider this as low water level.

Vortech, too deep pocket for me at this mmt. Will be making use of the 2000L return flow to create chaos in the main tank.

If that fails, might be planning a small Tunze6045 at the extreme top right side.

Thanks for pointing out, but i did have some solution in mind.

Due to this design of underflow, i will not be having sand bed. Mesh is a must before any lifestocks are included. But i have 1 month to design and find a proper material for it.

• SRC Member

Hmmm... I'm not sure if the size of your overflow is able to handle the flow of your return pump. Do give it a try with freshwater before adding anything in. Based on this concept, your filter wool will most likely be under water all the time, so you might have to change it quite often to prevent clogging. Just a thought.

• SRC Member

agree with bro peacemaker. It would be good to test the flow rates using freshwater. I have a feeling 2000L is too powerful for your tank. besides, it will prob be too chaotic for your corals/fishes unless you split the return into 2.

btw bro no skimmer? and I dunno about you, but 4kg worth of biohome seems to be v. excessive for your nano tank! :P I think you can skip the live rocks in your IOS.

agree with bro peacemaker. It would be good to test the flow rates using freshwater. I have a feeling 2000L is too powerful for your tank. besides, it will prob be too chaotic for your corals/fishes unless you split the return into 2.

btw bro no skimmer? and I dunno about you, but 4kg worth of biohome seems to be v. excessive for your nano tank! :P I think you can skip the live rocks in your IOS.

lol bro, u miss read my post, its 3/4kg of biohome+. Nt 4kg, i dnt thk i hav enough space for 3kg even. . .haha. Reason for choosing 2000l return, to create turbulence effect, possibly, reduce the need of wavemaker. I gt the ab frm fellow reefer and had tested it out, the return power, nt as great as i had imagined. . .i wil noe later. ;). Why no skimmer? My office desk no space, and im opting for wc every week of abt, 20%? Mayb lesser. . . But wil only b confirmed after 1 mth. . .

• SRC Member

I'm just happy to see another office tank with IOS. ^_^ Very soon, you will find that you are spending more time in the office than anywhere else!

How are you planning for your return output? If you don't mind pipes, you can split it in 2 and run one on the inner top right hand corner and the other to the front top left corner, both with Hydor Flo deflectors. That should help reduce the flow rate, yet give you random flow.

Update;

Meaningful and tiring saturday!

Been to Irwana, bought 2 small live-rock, and 5 packets of NSW.

Then to AM, bought 2 x test sets, NO2 and NO3. (Kinda disappointed that the CNY discount wasnt as expected... :()

Finally back to office, and begin working on it.

Oyama Stickers arent as bad and hard, so long u have soapy water! Just have to clean the surface of the tank 1st, then appy soapy water all over the surface. And u can adjust the stickers as much as you like!

Once down, worked with the AB2000L and the pipes. Did so many adjustment till almost gave out.

1. The flow was too strong....

2. The return pump was creating noisy sound.....

After some adjustment and troubleshooting, finally! its completed!

Placed a pieace of rubbersheet beneath the pump, adjust and re-cut the pipes so that it rest nicely.

Filled up all 5 packets into the tank.

And its DONE! the flow is fantastic! No need any wavemakers!

Of cos, added, the first dosage of bio-clean, added Seachem Gel, and the live-rocks.

Not to forget, my dead-rocks taken from fellow reefer earlier this year.

pH: 8.2

Salt level: 1.25

Will upload pics later. . . waiting for 1st March to come!

I'm just happy to see another office tank with IOS. ^_^ Very soon, you will find that you are spending more time in the office than anywhere else!

How are you planning for your return output? If you don't mind pipes, you can split it in 2 and run one on the inner top right hand corner and the other to the front top left corner, both with Hydor Flo deflectors. That should help reduce the flow rate, yet give you random flow.

Im thinking of hydor deflector as well, but will only test it out on monday.

i will take pic of the current set up later to show u.

Okay, Temp was quite hot when i reach office this morning.

Gg to purchase a temp thermometer to monitor.

Now my Fan is up temporary...At least by touch, its less than 29Deg.

Here is the 1st shot of my set up.

20179_275467149598_673354598_3419986_522

Here is the piping from AB2000L and returning to main tank through a connector

20179_275476344598_673354598_3420093_334

20179_275467154598_673354598_3419987_346

• 2 weeks later...

1 and a half weeks had snailed passed...and CNY is just round the corner...The itchyness of adding stocks and corals were hard to attain...BUT, managed to contain this desire till now...

NH4 - 0

NO2 - 0.5

NO3 - 50

Somehow, my tank have the 1st inhibitant (beside the bacteria), a small star-fish.

Pondered how did it get into my tank ?...

Must have been added from the live-rocks that i purchased from Victor...

How it manage to crawl out of the filtation compartment, left me lotsa ????? hahaha

at least its alive and shows that my tank is still okay for STarFish...LOLz

Ten

• SRC Member
1 and a half weeks had snailed passed...and CNY is just round the corner...The itchyness of adding stocks and corals were hard to attain...BUT, managed to contain this desire till now...

NH4 - 0

NO2 - 0.5

NO3 - 50

Somehow, my tank have the 1st inhibitant (beside the bacteria), a small star-fish.

Pondered how did it get into my tank ?...

Must have been added from the live-rocks that i purchased from Victor...

How it manage to crawl out of the filtation compartment, left me lotsa ????? hahaha

at least its alive and shows that my tank is still okay for STarFish...LOLz

Ten

bro care to take a photo of the starfish? Could be hitchhiker that you want to get rid of. *small white starfish the size of a 5cent coin?*

bro care to take a photo of the starfish? Could be hitchhiker that you want to get rid of. *small white starfish the size of a 5cent coin?*

Comycus, im curious as well, here's the pic. Help me ID it :)

Its moving ard...Very Active. Now stationed beside the thermometer sensor pobe.

19351_291763754598_673354598_3472432_569

get rid of it....

think they eat zoas. not sure if it is asterina starfish.

http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gall...;g2_itemId=1426

better to be safe than sorry.

Later let ID king/ marine scholar LemonLemon come and ID.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!