Purple Up

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Hi guys. anyone using purple up? heard good reviews about it so decided to try. as i dont have a Ca reactor, calcium and magnesium etc dosage is very erratic, so i don't have steady coraline algae growth. using purple up now. have 1 question to ask. the bottle doesnt say how often to dose, only says not to dose more than once per day.

1 cap for 50gallon of waters. i put about 1 and a half capfuls or slightly less. can this product be dosed everyday? what are the dosing regimes. hope others using this product can share. thanks!

• SRC Member

I use Aquapharm Part A & B. Extracted from the site:

Pro Series SeaBalance â„¢

two parts, A & B

Pro Series SeaBalanceâ„¢ is a highly concentrated two-part calcium and alkalinity buffer maintenance system that replenishes calcium and alkalinity with the correct ratio of ions to the composition of Natural Seawater. SeaBalanceâ„¢ also includes magnesium and strontium in the amounts proportionate to typical utilization ratios. Without high concentrations of magnesium, all the calcium would combine with carbonates and precipitate out of the aquariums. Alkalinity is primarily the concentration of calcium, magnesium, carbonate and bicarbonate, which helps maintain a high pH and is essential for coral growth.

• Senior Reefer

oh ur using the aquapharm 2 part. ok thanks

for coraline seeding, i have coraline growing on my rocks, just too little and ugly. so no need to seed i guess.

for purple up, anyone else knows how often to dose?

• SRC Member

i used to dose everyday according to the instructions of the bottle. Coralline growth was healthy.

Now I just dose calcium, coralline is also growing. I realise coralline also grows faster in blue light. Ever since I added my blue LEDs, growth has increased by alittle. So you might want to leave your blue lights on for a longer period if you want to increase growth?

• Senior Reefer

ok thanks zhimin. i only want the coraline to grow until a nice purple develops on my rocks. then stop dosing or reduce. partly because i used to keep 3 tuxedo urchins which constantly mowed through my coraline, and i had so little to begin with, my coraline never really took off.... and the super inconsistant calcium dosing.

btw how long roughly till you see significant improvement? 2-3 months?

• SRC Member
ok thanks zhimin. i only want the coraline to grow until a nice purple develops on my rocks. then stop dosing or reduce. partly because i used to keep 3 tuxedo urchins which constantly mowed through my coraline, and i had so little to begin with, my coraline never really took off.... and the super inconsistant calcium dosing.

btw how long roughly till you see significant improvement? 2-3 months?

Actually I think should be able to see visible growth in 1-2 months. I have an unproven theory tt different types rocks will affect coralline growth. Dunno how to explain in words, but i notice for some 'type' of rock you can see growth almost instantaneously (within 1-2 weeks after daily dosing). Others after 1-2 months, you only see spots of coralline starting to grow.

• SRC Member

hey lemon, try using this....http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=15

it's tested n proven in my tanks if u crazy abt coraline. for my new tank, i only dosing once fornightly. get ur CA, KH, MG in good range n with this, ur coraline will grow like weeds. but some warning, once coraline start to grow, it will not stop....n i guess u noe, coraline will makan ur CA, KH and MG real fast.....that is why my new tank, i cant be bother to let them grow.....

• Senior Reefer

hey lemon, try using this....http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=15

it's tested n proven in my tanks if u crazy abt coraline. for my new tank, i only dosing once fornightly. get ur CA, KH, MG in good range n with this, ur coraline will grow like weeds. but some warning, once coraline start to grow, it will not stop....n i guess u noe, coraline will makan ur CA, KH and MG real fast.....that is why my new tank, i cant be bother to let them grow.....

thanks vtec!! will keep a look out for this. can this be used in conjunction with purple up?

• SRC Member

purple do helps. once or twice will be good per week will be good, thats how my friend dose and can see the effect. get some testkits, it contains both calcium and mg so you dun want to overdose. and vtec is right, once ur coraline is up, u will realise your mg kh and ca will down very quickly.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

purple up is like a calcium and iodine supplement.

if you know your system well enough you can go for better alternatives.

daily capful in a 2ft+ tank for a coraline filled tank is almost sufficient.

overdosing can mess up your KH and Ph though(usually reducing it)... do have test kits for reassurance.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• SRC Member

my coraline algae grows quite fast when i used oceanic salt mix.....my rocks get encrusted with coralline algae quite rapidly...i think it has to do with the high calcium and mg level of oceanic as compared to reef crystals...after i switched recently. i dun used purple up...i m using coralife bio calcium to supplement.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

have been using purple up w/ kalk top up. works great! can see the fast coralline growth.

i dose irregularly too, only on weekends and max once a day. i realize even though i shake before dosing each time, the fluid inside the bottle runs out quicker than the whitish stuff in the bottle... so i just add more DI water in and shake it and continue to use.

have been using purple up w/ kalk top up. works great! can see the fast coralline growth.

i dose irregularly too, only on weekends and max once a day. i realize even though i shake before dosing each time, the fluid inside the bottle runs out quicker than the whitish stuff in the bottle... so i just add more DI water in and shake it and continue to use.

if u raise KH (exampe dose Kent Marine Pro-dKH), that will speed up coraline growth.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
hi guys, can advise which light spectrum is favorable to coralline algae?

I currently have 2 ATI white tubes & 2 ATI blue plus tubes.

Should i change 1 of the blue plus to ATI actinic?

Tt's good enough. you can increase the hours of blue plus if you want to encourage coralline growth. What are your tank parameters like?

Actinic lights are normally used to bring out fluorescence in your corals.

• SRC Member

oceanic has high mg levels...

purple up has no mg in it i think... now to think of it when i was dosing purple up .. i added mg supplements too and coraline was quite fast.. i stopped on the mg and it slowed down quite a fair deal.

maybe its time for me to play around with diff salt mixes again

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

I was getting really good coralline growth with purple up, under a 150w MH. I didn't supplement any additional Mg, and was using Marine Environment with DI water for mix, it started off slowly for the first month, then it started growing quite rapidly.