Pasar Malam - Home Tanks

clee123

Hi All,

Decided to share my recently acquired Pasar Malam tanks experience with the reefing community.

The reason I called this "Pasar Malam" tanks as 80% of the items such as equipments, live rock, fishes and corals are obtained from reefers in the Pasar Malam forum. I would like to thank the active reefing community and the Pasar Malam fourm here. Without them, all of these you going to read/see might not be possible. It is interesting to see how we can enjoy reefing at an affordable and "value for money" alternatives for this expensive and probably long hobby.

There were basically three tanks I was setting up recently: One at my new Office (5 footer) , and the other two (6 footer and 4 footer) at my home (one for me and one for my son).

The story goes here:

Part 2 - Home Tanks

Decided to upgrade my old 5 ft Flat Hexagon tank to a proper marine tank. This old tank was once a planted tank with me for many years and was converted to salt water setup 5 years ago. Decided to decom (but the water are still running) 4 years ago due to business in overseas. Recently coming back for good and started to picking up the hobby again as my interests in Marine life and diving become stronger. The old tank was just a "test test water" to see how it goes. The water here means two things: my passion for this hobby (see if I can keep my interests vs busy lifestyle) and my wife acceptance of this hobby by taking family time (from her and my son). After couples of months of water testing...I decided to look for upgrade to my old tank and as my 8 years old knowing more fishes name than me, I decided to get him a marine tank (hee..hee. exactuly this is a one stone three bird trick - if you know what I mean).. So, I went to the Pasa Malam forum to look for bargain hunting. I was surprised to find that there are so many decom during Oct-Nov 2009 period.. :pirate:

fts-022012.JPG

Saw this tank in the forum looking for sales - grasped it immediately... Let play the guessing game here... Can anyone guess how much for this full setup - including the tank, sump, beckett skimmer, pumps, live sand/rock and Live Stock, etc.??? :eyebrow:

post-16749-1266565497_thumb.jpg

post-16749-1266565558_thumb.jpg

fts-022012.JPG

• SRC Member
  • SRC Supporter
yeah ... but be careful.. this guy eats catch and eat small fishes... saw that in action couple of time... especially when new fishes are introduced.. :ph34r:

You managed to get a ribbon eel feeding in captivity? :o

I'm impressed! :bow:

A lot of scheduling and planning were needed as you can imagine: I was moving 4 tanks within a 1-2 weeks period (1 tank to my office, 2 tanks from two different owners into my house and decom my old tank and transferring my fishes and corals ...

So these came in handy.... I was holding my fishes and corals in these container for about 7 days... :shock:

post-16749-1266566548_thumb.jpg

post-16749-1266566581_thumb.jpg

fts-022012.JPG

• SRC Member
Saw this tank in the forum looking for sales - grasped it immediately... Let play the guessing game here... Can anyone guess how much for this full setup - including the tank, sump, beckett skimmer, pumps, live sand/rock and Live Stock, etc.??? :eyebrow:

$500? :unsure:

• SRC Member

slightly below $1K?

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

The 4 footer was actually made up of two compartments: One on the left side was the sump and the right side was used as shoes shelf. Decided to take away the partition so that I can use the right side to put the chiller and the CR/CO2 Cylinder.

post-16749-1266773348_thumb.jpg

post-16749-1266773387_thumb.jpg

post-16749-1266773397_thumb.jpg

fts-022012.JPG

wah, LOL so zhun, onz tml i go buy 4D try luck hehe.

nice tank in the making bro! seeing you grab all the nice zoas in pasar malam now, frag me some leh HAHAHA.

jiayou bro!

Bro,

Sure lar...if my zoas multiples... currently some of my zoas are not opening up...might need to do some pets control leh...

Actually, I am into SPS... only started to collect nice Zoas recently... :paiseh:

cheers,

fts-022012.JPG

This was how the 4 footer (actually a 4.5 ft tank if include the overflow from the left side) placed under the stair of the basement...it fits in perfectly at the good position and saves lot of space....initial water testing....... a bit of sneak review of the 6 footer on the left...

post-16749-1266914050_thumb.jpg

post-16749-1266914063_thumb.jpg

post-16749-1266914098_thumb.jpg

fts-022012.JPG