Help!!! how to lower my TECO micro chiller

goodman123

I had got myself a TECO micro chiller. Currently i place it behind Nano tank stand as i know that if i put it inside the stand cabinet... it would be very warm and does not ventilate that well.

I read from the manual that the water temp depend on the ambient temp of the surrounding. Although i set it to the lowest and yet i realised that the water temp is around 28.5

Is that anyway to lower it down further? Please advise. Thanks.

micro.jpg

• SRC Member

I had got myself a TECO micro chiller. Currently i place it behind Nano tank stand as i know that if i put it inside the stand cabinet... it would be very warm and does not ventilate that well.

I read from the manual that the water temp depend on the ambient temp of the surrounding. Although i set it to the lowest and yet i realised that the water temp is around 28.5

micro.jpg

how long have u ran the chiller?

This micro chiller's max capacity is 2ft(L) x 1.5ft(B) x 1.5ft(L)...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

This chiller works with a peltier element, it's not like the compressor type chillers we normally use which have a range of temperature you can set and maintain constant.

Let's say that chiller can pull down the temperature by 3 degrees, then if your ambient temperature is 31.5, your tank temp will be 28.5. If ambient temperature rises to 33 degree, your lowest possible temp is 30 degrees.

So to answer your original question:

Is that anyway to lower it down further?

Yes, you can get the chiller to achieve lower temperature by lowering your ambient temperature lol.

• Like 2

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

This chiller works with a peltier element, it's not like the compressor type chillers we normally use which have a range of temperature you can set and maintain constant.

Let's say that chiller can pull down the temperature by 3 degrees, then if your ambient temperature is 31.5, your tank temp will be 28.5. If ambient temperature rises to 33 degree, your lowest possible temp is 30 degrees.

So to answer your original question:

Yes, you can get the chiller to achieve lower temperature by lowering your ambient temperature lol.

wah..like that one huh... +1 for yr guru explanation...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

where u got this chiller from?

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

micro.jpg

Besides lower the ambient temperature, you can try ventilating your chiller, try placing it outside your cabinet - it works.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

so if you place the chiller outside, have a mini fan blowing at it, it can lower even more right?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

so if you place the chiller outside, have a mini fan blowing at it, it can lower even more right?

Bro, not to dispute your logic of chilling the chiller... But I think you can probably achieve lower temperature by blowing the fan directly at the tank haha. A peltier chiller is really inefficient, especially with the current heat wave. From what I have read in another local forum, the best the teco micro can do is -3 degrees in local climate.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

To reduce the temperature of the tank water and improve the cooling efficiency of the chiller, what you can do are:

1) Remove the casing of the chiller

2) Replace the heat sinks in the chiller

3) Replace the fans in the chiller

But frankly speaking even doing all these, you may only be able to pull down your temperature by a max of 4-6 degC from ambient.

I know of some people who have modified their Dolphin TEM chillers using the above method and they can get the tank temperature down ard 4-6 degC from ambient.

However, do take note that the TEM chillers will usually use more electricity then a 1/10 HP chiller.

• Like 1

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

To reduce the temperature of the tank water and improve the cooling efficiency of the chiller, what you can do are:

1) Remove the casing of the chiller

2) Replace the heat sinks in the chiller

3) Replace the fans in the chiller

But frankly speaking even doing all these, you may only be able to pull down your temperature by a max of 4-6 degC from ambient.

I know of some people who have modified their Dolphin TEM chillers using the above method and they can get the tank temperature down ard 4-6 degC from ambient.

However, do take note that the TEM chillers will usually use more electricity then a 1/10 HP chiller.

so i guess this chiller works better in places like Genting Highlands...

l7304smr.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Rogerwee and other reef-bros! I am a born-again reefer (having returned after 15-year absence). I have started a 60-litre tank with soft inverts. Two HOB filters, one Tunze wavemaker, four-tube T5's (3 whites; one super-blue). I have one fan going, but the high evaporation rate and dirt that gets blown into the water bother me.

Hence I am looking at installing a chiller. Ideally, I would like an electronic chiller (non-compressor) with strong cooling power. But there seems to be none. I was wondering how Rogerwee (or/and other reef-bros) find the Teco Micro Chiller. I can't find this model on the Teco webpage.

Secondly, I am already facing an old problem: crabs. I think there are at least 8 in the tank. What is the best way to get rid of these pests, w/o stripping down the tank?

Sorry for long message.