Hailea 150a chill down time

vurbul

I'm using the Hailea 150a for my JBJ 28G tank. It took 1hr 10 mins to cool down 1 degs from 28dC to 27dC. And it will take another hours plus before it kicks in again.

Is that normal?

I've got 2 pumps in there, 1 Koralia 1, and the MCE300 skimmer. And I've noticed its the same wether my lights are on or off.

• SRC Member

I'm using the Hailea 150a for my JBJ 28G tank. It took 1hr 10 mins to cool down 1 degs from 28dC to 27dC. And it will take another hours plus before it kicks in again.

Is that normal?

I've got 2 pumps in there, 1 Koralia 1, and the MCE300 skimmer. And I've noticed its the same wether my lights are on or off.

I would say it's pretty normal for a Hailea.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• 1 month later...

The chill time depends on the water's heat load.

Yes bradder. Got improvement after swopping my MH to LEDs. Water stays cooler longer and slightly shorter time to chill down. :D

Hopefully electric bill will be less.

1hr 10 mins seems slightly long, what flow rate are you providing the chiller with?

I had the same setup JBJ 28G HQI with an eheim compact 1000 feeding the chiller, through an FR and then back into the tank.

With the lights off it took only around 10 - 15 minutes to chill down 1 degree Celsius from 29C - 28C.

Are you providing enough ventilation to your chiller (front and back?)

My ambient room temperature is around 28C though

1hr 10 mins seems slightly long, what flow rate are you providing the chiller with?

I had the same setup JBJ 28G HQI with an eheim compact 1000 feeding the chiller, through an FR and then back into the tank.

With the lights off it took only around 10 - 15 minutes to chill down 1 degree Celsius from 29C - 28C.

Are you providing enough ventilation to your chiller (front and back?)

My ambient room temperature is around 28C though

Wah 10-15 mins is good. What's your chiller btw? My chiller is well ventilated. 1000l/h flowrate. Minus some headloss maybe 700- 800l/h. Still within spec. But I guess you ambient temp is low. That's why it is faster for you.

My ambient depends on the weather. Could be 31,32 during the day or slightly lower at night.

• 2 weeks later...

for 3x2x2 u need a 1/4 hp to have effective cooling and save on electricity

if can go for 1/2 hp even better it only take 20min to cool down from 27 to 26 and stay cool for quite long period if using LED

• SRC Member

for 3x2x2 u need a 1/4 hp to have effective cooling and save on electricity

if can go for 1/2 hp even better it only take 20min to cool down from 27 to 26 and stay cool for quite long period if using LED

Hi Steven.

I'm using 1/2 hp from Hailea.

It takes about 45mins to cool down from 28 to 27..

My pump is having flow rate of 4500l/h pump with the external temperature controller....

Is my flow rate to high for the chiller?

Should i reduce the flow rate to my chiller?

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump