Frogfish & shrimp

DUCADOS

Currently i got 3 frogs, threw in 70 chromis into the tank for them to free feed. So far only seen one of the frogfish caught the chromis. Not sure if the other 2 good at fishing not.

Reef
Tank: 48"x 24"x 24"
Lightings: Maxspect Razor 120w x 2

Skimmer: Skimz Kone SK1
Chiller: Hailea 1/4 hp w/ Aquabee 3000
Wave Maker: Tunze 6065 x 2
Return Pump: Eheim 1262
Uv: Coralife 9 watt Uv w/ Eheim compact 1000

Fowlr
Tank: 36"x 21"x 16"
Lightings: Beamswork Ultrabright Led x 2
Skimmer: Skimz SM161
Wave Maker: Maxijet 1200
Return Pump: Eheim Compact 2000

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have more than 1 froggy in your tank, you should drop one shrimp each time into the tank to make sure that they have equal feeding opportunities. I use chopsticks* to guide the shrimp# to each froggy, and actually count how many they eat. If your froggies are hungry@ enough, they will learn to congregate at the front of the tank when you approach.

*Get three pairs of unused disposable chopsticks (un-separated). Tie them together using rubber bands so that they form a long stable 'food-stick'.

#Gut load the FW shrimps (also called ghost shrimps) before you feed. I normally feed my shrimps once in 2 days with normal fish food. You can feed the shrimps anything, from spirulina to shreds of fish purchased from wet markets.

Before you drop the shrimp in, use your nails to nip the area before the tail so that it is slightly broken - this will make the shrimp less 'jumpy' and unable to swim fast. This will also enable you to use the 'food-stick' above to usher it to where the frogfish is. The 'food-stick' is also useful to push other more aggressive frogfishes away when they approach, so that the shrimp is eaten by the frogfish you intend to feed. If you have to 'force' your frogfish to eat - i.e. using the foodstick to make the shrimp move back and forth in front of the froggy - that means it is not interested to feed anymore and you should stop. Most times, your froggies will just eat and eat, and it is you who should stop dropping the shrimps in.

@I feed my froggies either once or twice a week. In this way, you can tell if they are keen to feed (this means that they are healthy) or not (a frogfish refusing to eat after 4 to 7 days of hunger is likely to go up lorry).

Notes on colour change: some black ones may become less black and turn into grey/blackish brown. The red and orange froggies change colours - they may become less bright, and commonly change into yellow/brownish yellow. The warty froggies are more resistant to colour change, but can still happen, especially the black warties.

Notes on bullying: some froggies can be aggressive and will display and flare up their fins and puff up their bodies to other froggies (no matter whatever species of froggies). It is better to isolate it because it will bully the other party to death.

If your froggies are happy, you may get pairing up and egg rafts. I do not like my froggies to lay eggs, because they can become very eager to lay more eggs, and die in the process (I speculate that they are expending too muh energy in mating and not eating enough to replenish. If you get an egg raft every 5 days, then it is better to separate the female from the male and let her recuperate before she goes up lorry).

My two cents and HO.

I currently have 6 froggies in 3 tanks.

yo bro where do you get your chromis? and how much?

how do you keep them alive?

i started with 12 and end up with 2 in my reef tank

i gut load the ghost shrimp with Formula Two Pellet

trying the net feeding method

but if the froggy miss, will have to use the chopstick to guide the shrimps to the froggy mouth

quite fun but sometimes tiring as my sump has space constraint

i feed once every 2 days

thanks for the tips Synanceia

If you have more than 1 froggy in your tank, you should drop one shrimp each time into the tank to make sure that they have equal feeding opportunities. I use chopsticks* to guide the shrimp# to each froggy, and actually count how many they eat. If your froggies are hungry@ enough, they will learn to congregate at the front of the tank when you approach.

*Get three pairs of unused disposable chopsticks (un-separated). Tie them together using rubber bands so that they form a long stable 'food-stick'.

#Gut load the FW shrimps (also called ghost shrimps) before you feed. I normally feed my shrimps once in 2 days with normal fish food. You can feed the shrimps anything, from spirulina to shreds of fish purchased from wet markets.

Before you drop the shrimp in, use your nails to nip the area before the tail so that it is slightly broken - this will make the shrimp less 'jumpy' and unable to swim fast. This will also enable you to use the 'food-stick' above to usher it to where the frogfish is. The 'food-stick' is also useful to push other more aggressive frogfishes away when they approach, so that the shrimp is eaten by the frogfish you intend to feed. If you have to 'force' your frogfish to eat - i.e. using the foodstick to make the shrimp move back and forth in front of the froggy - that means it is not interested to feed anymore and you should stop. Most times, your froggies will just eat and eat, and it is you who should stop dropping the shrimps in.

@I feed my froggies either once or twice a week. In this way, you can tell if they are keen to feed (this means that they are healthy) or not (a frogfish refusing to eat after 4 to 7 days of hunger is likely to go up lorry).

Notes on colour change: some black ones may become less black and turn into grey/blackish brown. The red and orange froggies change colours - they may become less bright, and commonly change into yellow/brownish yellow. The warty froggies are more resistant to colour change, but can still happen, especially the black warties.

Notes on bullying: some froggies can be aggressive and will display and flare up their fins and puff up their bodies to other froggies (no matter whatever species of froggies). It is better to isolate it because it will bully the other party to death.

If your froggies are happy, you may get pairing up and egg rafts. I do not like my froggies to lay eggs, because they can become very eager to lay more eggs, and die in the process (I speculate that they are expending too muh energy in mating and not eating enough to replenish. If you get an egg raft every 5 days, then it is better to separate the female from the male and let her recuperate before she goes up lorry).

My two cents and HO.

I currently have 6 froggies in 3 tanks.

Bro, thanks for the advice. Maybe i will try the ghost shrimps, any idea how long they can last?

yo bro where do you get your chromis? and how much?

how do you keep them alive?

i started with 12 and end up with 2 in my reef tank

i gut load the ghost shrimp with Formula Two Pellet

trying the net feeding method

but if the froggy miss, will have to use the chopstick to guide the shrimps to the froggy mouth

quite fun but sometimes tiring as my sump has space constraint

i feed once every 2 days

thanks for the tips Synanceia

I bought all my chromis from iwarna and ah-beng. Standard $1.00 each, cant imagine spending so much on chromis.

Reef

Fowlr

wah $1 per piece, super expensive meal lol

you can consider LCK2-1 SW feeder, $2 per pack

kept my ghost shrimp in a salt bucket 1/2 filled with water

use a bubble filter with biohome as filtration

everyday 1-2 casualty

a $1 can last at least 2 weeks

• SRC Member

MH @ west coast sell 1 pc of froggie feed MP dun need headache. Confirm plus tested n proven haha. Cute pc. Interested can go there have a look.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

bro, did u finally get ur frogfish?

this thurs farm again?

Reef

Fowlr

• SRC Member

black color? size?

henry power

thanks

Nope. Off white n abit red. Looks like coral.

Size about 3''

Freaking sianz when left alone but freaking alert when feeding haha.

Cute wan I would say.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

bro, did u finally get ur frogfish?

this thurs farm again?

No leh. That day went. Was a weekend. Saw 2 but leg hand not fast enough let people catch 1st Liao.

Thursday again!!! Sign. But.... Onz la. Put time put place lol

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

any laojiaos can help me out here? thanks alot.

shouldn't be a problem.

As long as the other fish can't fit into it's mouth will do.

• 1 month later...