SPS SOS :)

• Senior Reefer

Hey! Hope you guys like my catchy topic title hehe. Am getting my new tank soon and plan to venture into SPS. Am quite good in most other things but when it comes to SPS, i simply don't have a clue!

need to know a few stuff.

What are the basic parameters for keeping SPS? i know the basics like stable consistant Ca levels. 380-400ppm? What about magnesium? 1300ppm? Kh? 8? 9? Ph? 8.2? NO3? PO4?

Please share with me some of the parameters you guys have found that your SPS are thriving comfortably with!

Secondly, would like to know if there are any beginner friendly SPS?

Thirdly, what about lighting? My tank will be 3.5 x 3.5 x 2. 3 panels will be crystal glass. Am thinking of using 2x 250W MH. supplimented by T5s. Is this ok?

And last but not least. Flow! Strong non-laminar flow? How do i know which SPS like's what kinda flow. and how do i know if it's getting enough flow!

Thanks in advance for any help given. Please share any information and it will go a long way in helping me. After playing so many stuff for so long, decide to go for something new.

Please engage in relevant sharing. I'm interested to learn.

• SRC Supporter

For water parameters, the mentioned works for me.

Mg at 1300. (1200 – 1500 ppm is good.)

Ca readings at 400-480 ppm and kH at 8-10 is recommended.

Take note of phosphate levels. Keep it below 0.03 as high phosphate levels will inhibit SPSes ability to perform calcification.

Do take note that if you are intending to move into ULNS (ultra low nutrient system) either through Zeovit or volka additives, keep your kH at 7- 8. Higher kH levels for ULNS will cause SPS to exhibit the “burnt tips” syndrome. Reasons for this is still a mystery.

• Senior Reefer

For water parameters, the mentioned works for me.

Mg at 1300. (1200 – 1500 ppm is good.)

Ca readings at 400-480 ppm and kH at 8-10 is recommended.

Take note of phosphate levels. Keep it below 0.03 as high phosphate levels will inhibit SPSes ability to perform calcification.

Do take note that if you are intending to move into ULNS (ultra low nutrient system) either through Zeovit or volka additives, keep your kH at 7- 8. Higher kH levels for ULNS will cause SPS to exhibit the “burnt tips” syndrome. Reasons for this is still a mystery.

thanks! PO4 will inhibit calcification in all stony corals. LPS even. Heard of the burnt tip syndrome but doubt i will be going into zeovit. never a fan of keeping nutrients ultra low. i believe they have a place in the system if managed properly.

• Senior Reefer

oh ya, maybe if you are nice enough, he may let you into his fish room... :eyebrow:

or help him change water! :lol:

i've been to his place, and been into his room. seen it all :)

it's really nice.

anymore constructive comments?

i've been to his place, and been into his room. seen it all :)

it's really nice.

anymore constructive comments?

Bro,

I think I do not have to tell you about correct water parameters etc because I think you know more about them than me (: So I shall highlight on your equipments (:

I know by saying this I am going to take a lot of flak, but I think you should move away from MH because of the electricity bills and of course, heat and of course, colours. I think T5s have better colours with softies, lps and sps. Anyway, also because AM is having some ECO Lamp promo which is quite a good deal. you should look into investing that instead. simliarly, if you looking for a cheaper alternative other than LEDs, you can try going T5s. It has worked for many people, so why not you (:

Besides algae scrubber, I think NP Biopellets is another feasible method in lowering nutrients. This is judging from the feedbacks I read in RC. However, another old method runs well which is modified berlin. BIG skimmer, alot of GFO and carbon (: Many laojiaos succeeded with just these 3 stuff. So it's another viable option (:

Keeping SPS is of course about husbandry and methods. So maybe you can share with us your husbandry plan? I think this one determines alot about how well your system will run. Some like having a fuge; some people don't. Some people like water changes 1% a day alike our bro. Fuel; some people don't.

So tell us what salt you getting. Barebottom or not? Livestock list?

Keeping SPS is fun; I've enjoyed it as much as the hobby fuels my life. So hope you enjoy too (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

Bro,

I think I do not have to tell you about correct water parameters etc because I think you know more about them than me (: So I shall highlight on your equipments (:

I know by saying this I am going to take a lot of flak, but I think you should move away from MH because of the electricity bills and of course, heat and of course, colours. I think T5s have better colours with softies, lps and sps. Anyway, also because AM is having some ECO Lamp promo which is quite a good deal. you should look into investing that instead. simliarly, if you looking for a cheaper alternative other than LEDs, you can try going T5s. It has worked for many people, so why not you (:

Besides algae scrubber, I think NP Biopellets is another feasible method in lowering nutrients. This is judging from the feedbacks I read in RC. However, another old method runs well which is modified berlin. BIG skimmer, alot of GFO and carbon (: Many laojiaos succeeded with just these 3 stuff. So it's another viable option (:

Keeping SPS is of course about husbandry and methods. So maybe you can share with us your husbandry plan? I think this one determines alot about how well your system will run. Some like having a fuge; some people don't. Some people like water changes 1% a day alike our bro. Fuel; some people don't.

So tell us what salt you getting. Barebottom or not? Livestock list?

Keeping SPS is fun; I've enjoyed it as much as the hobby fuels my life. So hope you enjoy too (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

wow thanks! I thought of using T5s but the thought of changing all the bulbs will probably be too much and will give me a headache.. besides, i like the shimmery effect that MH gives and with crystal glass, i think it will look nice. (pardon my would be ignorance, this is what i can expect right? lol)

As for equipment, im planning to use the new deltec series. SC 2060.

Circulation will be done by two eheim 1264, into the main and then back into the sump, where there will be a huge free space for a fuge or other plans in future, where i will grow chaeto as nutrient export. Apart from that, will be running NP bio-pellets too.

A calcium reactor and dosing pump will be installed to maintain proper parameters.

As for water changes, i'm still sticking with good ol' NSW. It works for me for the past 1 and a half years. I test all NSW before doing WC and so far the parameters have been up to par.

It's also easier for me this way, i don't really like salt mix...

My water change regimes are once every 2 weeks.

I know electricity bill will be a terror once MH is installed, bearing in mind the heat + the chiller going crazy. Have cut down on certain things like aircon in the living room and no aircon while im sleeping to compensate for the bill.

Anything else you need to know? haha

wow thanks! I thought of using T5s but the thought of changing all the bulbs will probably be too much and will give me a headache.. besides, i like the shimmery effect that MH gives and with crystal glass, i think it will look nice. (pardon my would be ignorance, this is what i can expect right? lol)

HAHA! It's no ignorance. It's in fact a fact! lol, most people won't move away from MH is because of its shimmer. Those who didnt' claim it looks more natural that way (I am also one of them) but I am beginning to feel the pinch from the bills coming to my office and of course, the heat in the room. T5s also generate heat but really not as much as MH :( LEDs is beginning to become a viable option because I actually can see the shimmering effect from LEDs; perhaps not as much as MH but hey the kick is still there and slowly growing! I am sure we can see the shimmering effect of MH in LEDs in near future minus the expensive electric bill (:

As for equipment, im planning to use the new deltec series. SC 2060.

wow, that's quite a skimmer! 1400L for heavy stocking! sounds good to me! Alot of turnover for the tank and the livestock! So skimmer I will give thumbs up for this toy! :D

Circulation will be done by two eheim 1264, into the main and then back into the sump, where there will be a huge free space for a fuge or other plans in future, where i will grow chaeto as nutrient export. Apart from that, will be running NP bio-pellets too.

Actually I am for the idea of having a big empty space not for fuge but for detrius settlement and perhaps hone it into a frag station in future. Somehow I find that beats having a fuge to grow chaeto or caulerpa cause I find growing chaeto kinda "extra" :ph34r: haha.. This is also because you're already utilising NP biopellets as nutrient export so no need to add more stuff to an already almost ulns system but if you want biodiversity, a fuge is probable however there are also other ways to get biodiversity in the tank like say quality liverocks? (:

Also why I like big empty space not just for frags, also for aethestic. I always see sumps with fuges to be very dirty and ugly ie covered with coralline, funny algae etc. To me that's junk and hard and tiring to clean up so hahaha, being a lazy boy, I do not want that :P

A calcium reactor and dosing pump will be installed to maintain proper parameters.

dosing pump with calcium reactor?

CR is a good investment because on the long run, you actually save more on CR than on 2-part dosing! Funny right! but it's been proven in RC haha (: however you do need to buy a pH controller as well as topping up of CO2 gas. being a student, I do not know if you are ready for such a ongoing investment. So maybe 2 part is better off for yourself right now (:

As for water changes, i'm still sticking with good ol' NSW. It works for me for the past 1 and a half years. I test all NSW before doing WC and so far the parameters have been up to par.

It's also easier for me this way, i don't really like salt mix...

My water change regimes are once every 2 weeks.

hahaha I support both NSW and salt mix. It depends on which side of the world you want to lean on. To me, either one is fine so long as the parameters especially salinity is within normal range. So if you like NSW, go for it! tanah merah and Irwana not that far away, so worth to get NSW! heh (:

What about beginner friendly SPS? anyone can recommend any easy SPS? Standard is monti cap i guess.

anymore to suggest?

hahahaha, actually you got to go try for yourself bro. Porites are also a viable hard coral to try. Some porites can be quite nice! Also you can try mille. Mille frags are to me easy-medium hard. But still can try, no harm with frags right! heh (:

Anyway the above answers are a representation of my own experiences I had in this hobby. It has ZERO correlation to anyone or any book in this world. So anything I said wrongly, please kindly correct me. I am also a newb reefer trying to learn about this vast ocean on my own. Therefore, please be kind to me and bro. Lemon haha (:

Cheers!

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

marc! i love your idea on the sump tank/frag tank. the space in my sump will be alot actually and i have already considered doing it as a frag station. that's why the sump is designed in such a way that the flow is strong but water movement at surface is quite still, so can see my frags.

and the sump tank cabinet is specially designed for this too. the cabinet has doors that can be flipped up from the top, like a chest. so i can see the tank from top down, and i still have doors at the side.

the sump is not under the main tank. it's on the floor to the right of it. so it's like a separate tank :P

really excited for the new tank lol.

as for SPS, i will try birdnest, monti and millies first i guess. take it slow and steady :) DONT WANT RTN :(

marc! i love your idea on the sump tank/frag tank. the space in my sump will be alot actually and i have already considered doing it as a frag station. that's why the sump is designed in such a way that the flow is strong but water movement at surface is quite still, so can see my frags.

and the sump tank cabinet is specially designed for this too. the cabinet has doors that can be flipped up from the top, like a chest. so i can see the tank from top down, and i still have doors at the side.

the sump is not under the main tank. it's on the floor to the right of it. so it's like a separate tank :P

really excited for the new tank lol.

as for SPS, i will try birdnest, monti and millies first i guess. take it slow and steady :) DONT WANT RTN :(

Planning for new tank is always exciting! but the main thing is ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS! cause once payment made, tank delivered, hahaha another story liao (:

Anyway for your tank, what wavemakers you going for? (:

SPS do need good flow. Laminars do them equally well but laminars tend to cause them to grow out of shape :X

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

Planning for new tank is always exciting! but the main thing is ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS! cause once payment made, tank delivered, hahaha another story liao (:

Anyway for your tank, what wavemakers you going for? (:

SPS do need good flow. Laminars do them equally well but laminars tend to cause them to grow out of shape :X

ah yes flow. hmm. I have my tunze 6055, 6045 and 6025 from my old tank, along with the two returns generated by the 1264. this probably wont be enough so will have to end up getting more wavemakers lor...

Yap you have all in line bro, alot of good advice given by Marc no doubt.

My 2cts, some people fail in keeping sps is because of lack of committment and dedication. SPS keeping is not simple. You need TIME. No time you will neglect alot of things. 3 fundemental principle in Time Management: Time to learn and study from any sources and community, Time to manage your system maintenance well and Time to work to get Money to spend for them (system and stock)

Am not an expert still learning, never end that is what in my view and MHE.

Mix reef-Main tank 3x2.5x2.5ftA

TI 3ft 8tube

Hitachi compressor unit 1HP

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

1 x Coral Lab CR with Ph controller; 1X AquaMedic Kalk Reactor top off

Baby fish dosing kh/Sr&Kcl/mg

DI water thru kalkwasser

1 x Skimz Fr with BRS gfo

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker

Sump 3x1.5ft plumbed together with;

1.5ft cube live rock

Frag tank 5x1x1ft

• Senior Reefer

Yap you have all in line bro, alot of good advice given by Marc no doubt.

My 2cts, some people fail in keeping sps is because of lack of committment and dedication. SPS keeping is not simple. You need TIME. No time you will neglect alot of things. 3 fundemental principle in Time Management: Time to learn and study from any sources and community, Time to manage your system maintenance well and Time to work to get Money to spend for them (system and stock)

Am not an expert still learning, never end that is what in my view and MHE.

thanks bro thairun. will take things slow and easy with SPS set up and learn along the way!

thanks bro thairun. will take things slow and easy with SPS set up and learn along the way!

JIAYOU bro!

P.S: One more person now to share walt smith colonies with in future! hoho :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

JIAYOU bro!

P.S: One more person now to share walt smith colonies with in future! hoho :D

for a long time i've just admired the sps at walt smith shipments. now i will be one of you guys! lol

• SRC Member

u going for nsw? that means u asking them to send u nsw every wk for ur 10% water change? or planning to set up a water storage tank? 10% of ur water vol seems alot liao....

• Senior Reefer
tEc' date='06 May 2010 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1273147983' post='907596']

u going for nsw? that means u asking them to send u nsw every wk for ur 10% water change? or planning to set up a water storage tank? 10% of ur water vol seems alot liao....

i go to iwarna every 2 weeks and buy NSW myself. Transport them back home in toyogo box in car. 10% for my 3 2 2 last time was quite ok. now 3.5 3.5 2, maybe lesser.