Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

they will dwindle down slowly due to pecking order within a group.

50 is just too large and not every member will get to eat.

best is to buy like 15 or 10, and slowly it will dwindle to a stabler smaller number like maybe 7.

• Senior Reefer

My very studly male and it's female flame angel.

This male is spawning with the female as well as the female rusty x flame hybrid.

i have a harem consisting of 2 flames and 2 rusty x flame angel hybrids.

the male flame angel is currently spawning with the female flame and female rusty x flame. too bad the male rusty x flame is missing out on all the sexual fun!

here are some photos showing them at the precipice of gamete release.

male at the bottom, female on top.

this is just before they both release sperm and eggs at the water surface.

sorry for the blurry photos. DSLR is only human, oops i mean, technology, afterall.

post-15755-0-15659100-1321110318_thumb.j

post-15755-0-80639300-1321110366_thumb.j

post-15755-0-86158700-1321110425_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

2 of 3 Genicanthus semifasciatus females that I currently have. They're all females but the one not pictured here is starting it's transformation into a male.

Transgendered life of a Genicanthus. gotta love it.

post-15755-0-01828800-1321110461_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

Pseudochromis tapeinosoma.

This rare dottyback has had a full article written on it in both reefbuilders and glassbox-design by me.

once virtually unknown in this hobby, the awareness of this fish from both online media have made an impact and many people are now looking for this fish.

post-15755-0-18019300-1321110502_thumb.j

post-15755-0-20492600-1321110574_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhilabrus roseafascia. I started out with 2 drab females and now one of them is a sub-male with brighter coloration.

Yes yes like Genicanthus, Cirrhilabrus are also capable of sex change.

post-15755-0-86345000-1321110634_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

Chrysiptera caeruleolineata.

at the background is a very very rare and exquisite orange octo that i've been keeping since i've had this tank.

but sadly it's dying due to an injury and i don't think there's a chance of recovery.

it's the one and only pure orange octo i've ever seen and jake adams has been urging me to take a photo of it when it was in it's prime. now that it's dying, i think it's quite a shame!

post-15755-0-90060600-1321110784_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

halichoeres pallidus. i'd like to think of it as a baby pink yellow wrasse with a slightly yellow tail.

a rare halichoeres wrasse that i bought from henry. he had 2, one bigger. someone bought it first and i ended up taking the smaller one.

i bought this during aquarama and it was this fish that landed me a job as a writer for reefbuilders.

i just came back from henrys' and went to aquarama where i met jake adams. we chatted for awhile and he asked if i knew what fish it was, that i was holding. i replied him "halichoeres pallidus" and then i was hired.

so it pays to know your stuff! you never know when it'll come in handy! and the knowledge i've acquired within these 4 years have helped me immensely.

if this fish die, i'll be really sad. it's a milestone fish! so to speak.

post-15755-0-36379200-1321111050_thumb.j

Chrysiptera caeruleolineata.

at the background is a very very rare and exquisite orange octo that i've been keeping since i've had this tank.

but sadly it's dying due to an injury and i don't think there's a chance of recovery.

it's the one and only pure orange octo i've ever seen and jake adams has been urging me to take a photo of it when it was in it's prime. now that it's dying, i think it's quite a shame!

Yours is the darker varient with the blue body.. Those we get locally is the full yellow body one..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

halichoeres pallidus. i'd like to think of it as a baby pink yellow wrasse with a slightly yellow tail.

a rare halichoeres wrasse that i bought from henry. he had 2, one bigger. someone bought it first and i ended up taking the smaller one.

i bought this during aquarama and it was this fish that landed me a job as a writer for reefbuilders.

i just came back from henrys' and went to aquarama where i met jake adams. we chatted for awhile and he asked if i knew what fish it was, that i was holding. i replied him "halichoeres pallidus" and then i was hired.

so it pays to know your stuff! you never know when it'll come in handy! and the knowledge i've acquired within these 4 years have helped me immensely.

if this fish die, i'll be really sad. it's a milestone fish! so to speak.

Would have been mine if I wasnt working at Aquarama for that 4 days... LOL... Henry whatsapp me that day when it arrived.. LOL... It is very nice, still waiting see if it comes again...

Member of:

terry

- the chrysiptera caeruleolineata i got from thailand. it's not from sg. had 2, one died.

the pallidus wrasse was suppose to be yours? oh sorry but first come first serve! :P

Yup, I know... Maybe from a collected from a different region, thats why you said it looked different... LOL...

Never thought you would drop by Henry, so didnt get him to reserve for me, becos not many will know it is a pallidus so I thought it would stay there till end of aquarama... LOL...

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

The photos are quite good liao... :thumbsup:

thanks!

anyhow click one. my brother was using it to photograph his spiders and i used the same setting to do the fish.

i think the setting can be altered.

• Senior Reefer

Beautiful fishes, and rare!

V glad to see the pallidus again. A v rare wrasse in good hands.

this is the first picture of the pallidus since aquarama!

i've never had a chance to post coz it's always too fast.

now i have a decent photo, and it has grown in size.

thanks!

anyhow click one. my brother was using it to photograph his spiders and i used the same setting to do the fish.

i think the setting can be altered.

Ya but must know what to change unless you wanna trial and error.. LOL...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

here's a couple more photos of the flame angel pair.

they are really camera whores and they're such pretty subjects to practice on.

unfortunately getting clear shots of both in one frame is pretty hard. they keep moving.

a good thing they're really in the mood for spawning today, that's the only chance i have of them ever swimming together.

i managed a couple of shots of the male + the hybrid flame angel in spawning position but they're too blur to post. a waste!

i have a soft spot for flame angels. ask digiman and terryz, they can testify. i never get sick of them and every hawaii shipment i'll be like a kid in a candy store. hundreds of flame angels and i'll examine every, single, one. without fail.

i picked out this pair on purpose for the difference in stripes. the male has many stripes while the female, has only a few.

post-15755-0-61337000-1321114915_thumb.j

post-15755-0-58515900-1321114954_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

Chaetodon fremblii.

it took awhile for it to get used to the tank and adopt a nice yellow colouration.

even though it was feeding from the start and everything, it adopted the typical blotchy fright coloration for many months. now it's a beautiful yellow all the time.

post-15755-0-08873300-1321115107_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

it's paired with a female which i bought from coral farm.

they're both spawning and when the male displays, the body turns pink and the tail turns red.

here are some photos of it showing off.

post-15755-0-59486900-1321115255_thumb.j

post-15755-0-96044600-1321115266_thumb.j