Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Erm... how come a Google search give me results that show a very dull looking fish? Nothing like the one shown in your pic...

google search results give traceyi's damselfish in the wild, which is blue and yellow.

the colouration of fishes look different in the ocean because of light and water. the real colour is purple like this.

i found some legit photos for you to see online.

timthumb.php

• Senior Reefer

these are some wild photos of traceyi's damselfish. but pls note the actual colour is purple and not blue

i'm not forcing anyone to buy, just giving a very quick intro to this fish since it's the first time here. if you can visit M3 to see it for yourself then it's best.

post-15755-0-95223800-1313506529_thumb.j

post-15755-0-40493100-1313506537_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

i prefer these few ...

Chromis ovalis

Chromis limbaughi)

the problem with those two is that they grow to very ugly and big adults.

many damsels will morph into ugly brown adults and only look good as juveniles.

• Senior Reefer

Blue is equally sweet looking. The ones I saw were a dull beige. So... would the colour change / fade, etc over time?

nope.

chrysiptera traceyi will not morph into ugly adults and stay small.

i won't be advertising ugly morphing damsels in this forum. they are ugly and a pain to catch! :(

• Senior Reefer

here's btter photos of Chromis acares in the wild.

they have a very cool yellow mask on the eye and a yellow tail. body colour is grey but that's ok for me. they look very cute darting around the corals.

post-15755-0-63510400-1313507276_thumb.j

post-15755-0-23627600-1313507289_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

How's the temperament of the damsel and chromis? Aggressive? Peaceful? Quite interested.

it is peaceful.

chrysiptera damsels are always less aggressive than those of other genus.

the chromis acares is harmless.

but do keep in mind the size of tank and other species you keeping with.

i generally do not buy any aggressive fish so anything u see in this thread should be safe to buy. but it depends on your tank size too.

it is peaceful.

chrysiptera damsels are always less aggressive than those of other genus.

the chromis acares is harmless.

but do keep in mind the size of tank and other species you keeping with.

i generally do not buy any aggressive fish so anything u see in this thread should be safe to buy. but it depends on your tank size too.

My 4 footer currently only has 3 chromis, 2 false percs and 1 yellow watchman goby after getting rid of all my aggressive fishes. As long as they can get along with the chromis I think I'll have a go. What are the opening hours for M3Morph ah? Never visited before.

• Senior Reefer

My 4 footer currently only has 3 chromis, 2 false percs and 1 yellow watchman goby after getting rid of all my aggressive fishes. As long as they can get along with the chromis I think I'll have a go. What are the opening hours for M3Morph ah? Never visited before.

what chromis are you keeping.

the green chromis?

if so i shoulndt see a problem la. ur tank is big its ok.

i currently have 2 springeri damsels, 1 rollandi damsels, a pair of spawning nugrura chromis and they all get along fine.

the addition of the traceyi should not be a problem. go for it if you really like the fish. but go down to see it to confirm.

MMORPH is a sponsor here. u can call them to check opening hours or visit their thread.

• SRC Member

the second fish is a rare chromis.

Chromis acares, or the midget chromis.

it's v common in the wild but v uncommon in the trade. it's related to the vanderbilt's chromis.

very peaceful and VERY beautiful. will make a good schooling fish but abit pricey. $20.

M3 still have quite a few of them so please hurry if u want!

Agree! I was telling myself when looking at the bag why they send me Vanderbilt when we din ordered them. hahaha

• SRC Member

ok i'm really excited

gonna share this with you guys.

3 fishes arrived from M3MORPH today, and it's been 3 that i've been waiting for for very long!

first,

tracey's damselfish. Chrysiptera traceyi.

this is a rare damselfish from marshall islands. it's a new import in the marine industry and it's very rare still. if you like the fish, M3 still have plenty and it's very affordable at $20. it's purple and yellow. a very unusual colouration for damsels and looks like a royal gramma.

not aggressive.

Their color developed a fair bit after we unbag them. I believe when they settle down in your tank, it will be even nicer! :wub:

• SRC Member

i prefer these few ...

Chromis ovalis

Chromis limbaughi)

You keen in Chromis limbaughi? Our supplier has them in stock last week together with the Flathead perch. If you keen, we can check if they still have them. :eyebrow:

i prefer these few ...

Chromis ovalis

Chromis limbaughi)

If i were u i'll go for chromis acares because it is the smallest chromis u can find (which dun change color) and is one of the least aggressive and not to mention rare.

On the other hand chromis ovalis and limbaughi both grow big, changes color and become ugly.

• Senior Reefer

YK, are you running a ozonizer together with your 55W UV?

nope.

UV only. works wonders esp in a high butterfly and angel load tank.

but i do do some pre-introductory measures.

i FW dip all my butterflies and angels before going in and keepp them in the sump until they are free from flukes. they always come in infested.

• Senior Reefer

Their color developed a fair bit after we unbag them. I believe when they settle down in your tank, it will be even nicer! :wub:

yes the pastel purple and yellow is GORGEOUS!

thanks so much for bringing them. i might get another one if you still have! :)