Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

An article u may find interesting: Reefsafe Butterflyfish.

Your mitratus is showing an abnormally high rate of breathing, it shows no interest in food. It's swimming properly but the breathing is worrying fast and i've a feeling it'll not last v long!

i told you liao. it's been like this since day 1 and even like this in reborn.

i dunno isit due to the fish itself or my QT.

super unusual for roaps to act this way. given water quality aside, they should at least be extremely greedy. my water quality may be on the slide but it's probably not enough to shut down a roap into non-feeding, laboured breathing and lack of activity. correct me if i'm wrong. but i myself am quite suprised that the mitratus did not show signs of eating even after day 2. which is totally out of the norm since roaps are as greedy as pigs. but it's a butterfly afterall.

how's the roseafascia doing? good i presume. they weren't showing the symptoms that the mitratus was showing at all.

If cardinals, I prefer threadfin/blue eyes cardinals if not, the red spot tail cardinals. They are really sweet! However you certainly need like staghorns or acros to give them shade and shelter. Otherwise they will spend alot of their time hiding in rock crevices and wont come out to feed. This is what happened in my tank. I bought 5 now left 2. hahaha (:

Anyway CF has vandarbilt chromis ah? ehh mind telling me when you all fish gurus see them k! I also want to buy like 10 of them! :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

If cardinals, I prefer threadfin/blue eyes cardinals if not, the red spot tail cardinals. They are really sweet! However you certainly need like staghorns or acros to give them shade and shelter. Otherwise they will spend alot of their time hiding in rock crevices and wont come out to feed. This is what happened in my tank. I bought 5 now left 2. hahaha (:

Anyway CF has vandarbilt chromis ah? ehh mind telling me when you all fish gurus see them k! I also want to buy like 10 of them! :D

fish guru? don't flatter us please lol. i may not be one but digiman, terryz and DA certainly are,

10? ok. prepare to fork out $300 coz each vanderblit chromis cost 3 red notes each. before discount

fish guru? don't flatter us please lol. i may not be one but digiman, terryz and DA certainly are,

10? ok. prepare to fork out $300 coz each vanderblit chromis cost 3 red notes each. before discount

woah so X... LOL! okay downsize.. I buy 8! :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

and i bid farewell to my mitratus and pair of roseafascia wrasses today. going to leave them with digiman until my tank finish cycling. it's better for them.

see you (or not) in a month or two!

post-15755-12770465393632_thumb.jpg

how's the roseafascia doing? good i presume. they weren't showing the symptoms that the mitratus was showing at all.

The roseafascia are still hiding together w the lineatus. But i think soon they'll swim out cos jux now i caught sight of both swim out of their hiding spot for a while and omg their reddish pink colours are awesome in my tank w subdued lighting. The colours of the lineatus is also v nice in the dark tank. I think these deepwater wrasses are better appreciated in a dimly lit tank, they hold their colours better maybe.

Now they have, but most not v healthy and dieing. Best to wait for a healthy batch if u wan to get a lot such as 10 and above.

and i bid farewell to my mitratus and pair of roseafascia wrasses today. going to leave them with digiman until my tank finish cycling. it's better for them.

see you (or not) in a month or two!

Sad to say i dun have too much confidence in keeping your mitratus alive. The fish doesn't look v healthy. I'll pray for the fish.

• Senior Reefer

Sad to say i dun have too much confidence in keeping your mitratus alive. The fish doesn't look v healthy. I'll pray for the fish.

it's ok. it was unhealthy to begin with i think. came 4, 1 had cloudy eye, 1 had very badly ruffled scales, 1 had lousy colour. i'm left with this.

let's just hope it makes a miracle come back. if not then it's ok. it's a goner in my tank and it has better chance with you for now. i still appreciate your kind gesture in not only helping me keep, but also formalin, and copper it.

and yesthe roseafascia is very pretty right?

• Senior Reefer

sneak peak of the scape :ph34r:

i'll post top down shots of it for now only. still trying very hard to get a good picture from the front view. it's very difficult to capture the sense of depth from the front.

but from the top down you can roughly get the idea of the number of layers back to back when seen from the front. that's why when i take photo it looks 2D.

actually i'm happy with it. to me it looks good so i won't change it anymore. besides, even if the mind and heart is willing, the back, arms, legs and shoulders are VIOLENTLY UNWILLING.

*ouch* :(

post-15755-12770531686145_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

wow, the top shot looks sweet!! akin a play ground for the fishes! :score:

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

• Senior Reefer

wow, the top shot looks sweet!! akin a play ground for the fishes! :score:

thanks! yes the scape has plenty of holes for the fish to go in and out. and as you can see from the top down shot, it's not the least bit cluttered at all. good flow between the rocks everywhere

• Senior Reefer

nvm decided to just post the "FTS" now.

here's the rockscape. hope it doesn't look too dense. it's actually not if you look from the top down shot posted in the previous page. but it's difficult to capture perspective from camera. this is the best i could do.

different when seen in person.

post-15755-12770550187066_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12770550246036_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12770550293665_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

:peace:

would like some comments on the scape, how it can be improved, placement of coral, etc, so that i can get opinions from different people and good advice too. if need be, then i will re-do the scape. but i'll leave it as it is for now until my body recovers from all the washing, lugging, scaping, bending.

post-15755-12770553088692_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

hmm ain't as 2d as you described, but maybe with another left and right panel shot will be able to have a mental depth visualization, :welldone::peace: anyhow, that's plenty of real estate to grow your corals! swee~

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

I'm v reluctant to deliver such bad news early in the morning:

Your mitratus as expected is not doing well. It's currently lying on its side on the tank floor and breathing even more heavily. On pushing the fish it'll swim back up and become v active then after a while it'll lay back to its side. From this situation i've to say it's a goner 100%, will not survive pass today. How do u wish for me to handle it's body after it die? Return to u or i dispose of it myself?

The roseafascia colours are v nice, make the lineatus looks drab. Such beautiful fishes hope no accidents will happen on them.

Your rockscape is nice enough already for now, i like simple concept, spacious, not too overpacked. Eventually when u start adding corals and fishes u'll need to shift the rocks around.

• SRC Member

Lemon your rockscape is fantastic... :) Love it... I see so much coral real estate . :) Love the zig zag formation and the holes.. great rocks.. only in this hobby will people go nutz about ROCKS!!!!! :)

haiz.. hope your fishy recovers... :unsure:

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

nvm decided to just post the "FTS" now.

here's the rockscape. hope it doesn't look too dense. it's actually not if you look from the top down shot posted in the previous page. but it's difficult to capture perspective from camera. this is the best i could do.

different when seen in person.

Hi LemonLemon,

It is indeed very different when viewed through the lenses. You have to decide your preference, whether to look nicer in pictures or real life. Often when we are doing scaping for planted tanks, we will ensure it look better in photo, so as to take part in ADA competitions etc. If you prefer it to look better in pictures, you may also have to consider the rock placement (zen, 1/3 rules etc), depth of placements, growth/colors of corals etc.

I still find the tank look horrible in your house..... I am sure it will look better in mine... friends.gif

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

ehh, I think you need some flat rocks bro. I find too many high rise buildings in your tank. I mean it is good because you can grow plating sps out from there but alot of times, you have to use epoxy to hold them to the pillars. And usually sps come in colonies, so maybe not so easy for you on the long run (:

Just my 2 cents bro :peace:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

I felt it is a bit cramp with some big rocks ...

If u are taking frags or remove rocks on the corals b4 place them in your tank this scaping is nice. remember that corals your brought later are with rocks...

Do take into account of what corals u are keeping and at where when you are scaping it could help a bit u in your scaping and coral placement in future ...

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices