Am i on the right track?

Hi reefer bros,

i just tested my water with Red sea marine Lab test kit and my ammonia (NH3) was at 1.0 and my Nitrite (NO2) is at 0.2 and my Nitrate (NO3) was at 10ppm

my market prawn has not been totally decomposed do i remove it now or i will wait for the prawn to be decomposed totally???

am i on the right track of cycling ??

• SRC Member

You can wait for the prawn to decompose fully. And be patient, you're only at the initial cycling stage.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

You can wait for the prawn to decompose fully. And be patient, you're only at the initial cycling stage.

so basically i can say that im on the right track ?? all i need to do is wait till the amonnia n nitrate turns 0 isnt it?

• Senior Reefer

so basically i can say that im on the right track ?? all i need to do is wait till the amonnia n nitrate turns 0 isnt it?

wait for ammonia and nitrite to turn 0. nitrate won't turn zero. when ammonia and nitrite turns 0 and you find very high readings of nitrate, means cycling is done. do water change to bring the nitrates down. then you are good to go.

Hi reefer bros,

i just tested my water with Red sea marine Lab test kit and my ammonia (NH3) was at 1.0 and my Nitrite (NO2) is at 0.2 and my Nitrate (NO3) was at 10ppm

my market prawn has not been totally decomposed do i remove it now or i will wait for the prawn to be decomposed totally???

am i on the right track of cycling ??

Ya, you need Market Prawn decay to generate the ammonia. Until Ammonia (NH3) and Nitrite (NO2) reach almost undetectable.. As below GIF illustration:

post-9248-12732481094369_thumb.gif

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Patient is the thing u need now. If your tank is totally new (newly set up) u will need about 3months (at least) for the wter to mature

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Woah 3 months?! Haha its gonna be a long wait but it'll be all worth while when the fish living in a heathy n happy environment....

Don't worry bro. Cycling normally takes 4-6 weeks. After your tank has been fully cycled, you can start adding your fishes and corals SLOWLY. The idea is to introduce a small amt of lifestock at spaced out intervals to allow for the bacteria to grow and accomodate with the increased bio-load.

You will also want to start off with easier fishes and corals which are hardy. Reason being your tank is still new and the parameters are not stable yet, so harder to keep LS are a no-no for the next 6 months to 1 year. The list of LS you can keep is already long enough, so be patient and wait for your tank to mature before adding those powder series tangs or SPS corals and other harder to keep ones.

Hate to spoil the party but 3 months is like a trip to the school park. lol

• Like 1

• Senior Reefer

Don't worry bro. Cycling normally takes 4-6 weeks. After your tank has been fully cycled, you can start adding your fishes and corals SLOWLY. The idea is to introduce a small amt of lifestock at spaced out intervals to allow for the bacteria to grow and accomodate with the increased bio-load.

You will also want to start off with easier fishes and corals which are hardy. Reason being your tank is still new and the parameters are not stable yet, so harder to keep LS are a no-no for the next 6 months to 1 year. The list of LS you can keep is already long enough, so be patient and wait for your tank to mature before adding those powder series tangs or SPS corals and other harder to keep ones.

Hate to spoil the party but 3 months is like a trip to the school park. lol

that's the rule according to literature.

if you invest in good equipment, good liverock, it's possible to add in difficult to keep corals and fishes on the first day you finish cycling.

but this is not adviced unless you are an experienced reefer and have money to spend on good equipment which results in stable parameters asap

• SRC Member

that's the rule according to literature.

if you invest in good equipment, good liverock, it's possible to add in difficult to keep corals and fishes on the first day you finish cycling.

but this is not adviced unless you are an experienced reefer and have money to spend on good equipment which results in stable parameters asap

Yeah I agree, have seen many experienced reefers doing it right. And for newcomers, the reason why not advised to do so is that you wanna start off in the swimming pool first before going into the deep ocean :P

• Senior Reefer

Yeah I agree, have seen many experienced reefers doing it right. And for newcomers, the reason why not advised to do so is that you wanna start off in the swimming pool first before going into the deep ocean :P

yup :)

yup :)

i dont think i will be adding any coral for my tank as myp lan for this tank will be Fish with live rock only tank.

i read up a bit on adding fishes into the tank.they were saying max of 2 fishes is advisable to add into the tank due to not to upset the bio load too sudden what you guys think??

for me i think i'll be adding a boxer shrimp and a yellow watchman goby into the tank first.

i dont think i will be adding any coral for my tank as myp lan for this tank will be Fish with live rock only tank.

i read up a bit on adding fishes into the tank.they were saying max of 2 fishes is advisable to add into the tank due to not to upset the bio load too sudden what you guys think??

for me i think i'll be adding a boxer shrimp and a yellow watchman goby into the tank first.

for boxer shrimp try Yellow coral banded shrimp (steponus cyanoscelis) or blue/purple coral banded shrimp (Steponus tenuirostris). I found normal type regular coral banded shrimp (Steponus Hispidus) or Gold coral banded shrimp (Steponus zanzibaricus) a bit too aggressive and territory.

The first 2 photos below are Yellow and Blue coral band.. The last pic is normal Steponus Hispidus boxer shrimp.. And the size can be significant bigger the yellow and blue one...

for Yellow watchman goby are supper hardy fish.. should be ok.. but they always hide... dun worry.. but patient.. start with 2 fishes first.. increase bioload too much is not healthy during tank cycle.....

Cheers

post-9248-12733370179095_thumb.jpg

post-9248-12733370349927_thumb.jpg

post-9248-12733374052603_thumb.jpg

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Hi abit off track here

i'm thinking of getting a light set for my tank but with about 100 dollars of budget which light set u guys recommend ?? i'll be doing a FWOLR tank.

saw a reefer bro selling Giesemann t5 at $1x0 . is it ok to buy it ? need advise....

• SRC Member

Giesemann t5 is a good choice as it offers an option to add corals if you so decide at a later stage. Only setback is that it is of higher wattage.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Giesemann t5 is a good choice as it offers an option to add corals if you so decide at a later stage. Only setback is that it is of higher wattage.

icic still cant make up my mind should i get a better light due to budget constrain .

Anyway the prawn have decomposed and i also have added Top Up from iwarna to stimulate my caroline algae growth. i also discovered there are white hairy stuff that actually sticking on my LR . Are those hair Algae??

icic still cant make up my mind should i get a better light due to budget constrain .

Anyway the prawn have decomposed and i also have added Top Up from iwarna to stimulate my caroline algae growth. i also discovered there are white hairy stuff that actually sticking on my LR . Are those hair Algae??

Take it slowly on the equipment. Try to save up to get the better ones.

No need to use the top up water, just use distilled water or DI water.

Good if you can use startup bacteria to get correct strain on initial setup.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

White hairy stuff? Transparent wan izzit? Possible to take pic show us coz there's this transparent thing ot white thing that grow on my LR before. After knowing it'll sting n kill my fishes,immediately I throw the whole rock away.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Read up more. The best equipments does not mean you will end up with the best tank. If your understanding is there, it does not matter what type of equipment you own.

A good site would be www.advancedaquarist.com

Read the past articles.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

White hairy stuff? Transparent wan izzit? Possible to take pic show us coz there's this transparent thing ot white thing that grow on my LR before. After knowing it'll sting n kill my fishes,immediately I throw the whole rock away.

Ducados, what you describe should be Atapsia... kill these ASAP..