Setting up marine tank - need help.

• SRC Member

add bacteria or market prawn to kick start the cycling.

u should consider whether u want to get a sand bed.

what equipment are u getting?

I will visit AM and iwarna to see the custom made tank this weekend and decide. If i dont like it, i will just go for RSM.

• SRC Member

Other than the 1.5ft display tank at Iwarna, how do you 'see' a custom made tank? All the other tanks in AM and Iwarna are at least 3ft and bigger.

Just wondering what are the reasons why you seem to be leaning towards RSM?

Fyi RB set-up their 20" cube over the weekend at IMM. You can give them a call to ask where you can view their display.

• SRC Member

Other than the 1.5ft display tank at Iwarna, how do you 'see' a custom made tank? All the other tanks in AM and Iwarna are at least 3ft and bigger.

Just wondering what are the reasons why you seem to be leaning towards RSM?

Fyi RB set-up their 20" cube over the weekend at IMM. You can give them a call to ask where you can view their display.

The reason is my budget. I asked around, a 1.5ft setup with sump/overflow/chiller and chiller cabinet cost around $1900>. If i get the RSM together with a 1/10 chiller it costs about the same but it's 2ft, 34 gallon, bigger view and it comes with starter kit which saves me a bit... thought i learnt the RSM light system is for soft corals environment..and comes with an average protein skimmer... anyway i will go and see the 1.5 cube, who knows i might like it.

I am getting a Hailea HC150a chiller 1/10HP for 130 litre, am i right that i should look for a chiller pump with output 1000l/h>? anyone?

You will need to look at the spec.. they normally will tell you required flowrate...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

The reason is my budget. I asked around, a 1.5ft setup with sump/overflow/chiller and chiller cabinet cost around $1900>. If i get the RSM together with a 1/10 chiller it costs about the same but it's 2ft, 34 gallon, bigger view and it comes with starter kit which saves me a bit... thought i learnt the RSM light system is for soft corals environment..and comes with an average protein skimmer... anyway i will go and see the 1.5 cube, who knows i might like it.

you are not comparing apple to apple here. your $1900 package includes

1. Low iron glass (which is alot clearer than normal float glass, and approximately 2-3X more expensive than normal glass)

2. LED Lights (which is a new technology that saves utilities and heat generation)

3. Top of the line Vortech wavemaker.

If you have checked out the different packages that DeLightings provide you will find many other options available other than the $1900 package. I gave you the link in my first reply.

If you have checked quotes with other tankmakers, you will realise that a 2ft custom built tank with similar specs/equipment as the RSM will cost much much less than the RSM.

I am getting a Hailea HC150a chiller 1/10HP for 130 litre, am i right that i should look for a chiller pump with output 1000l/h>? anyone?

I have also given u my opinion on this.

1. Low iron glass (which is alot clearer than normal float glass, and approximately 2-3X more expensive than normal glass)

2. LED Lights (which is a new technology that saves utilities and heat generation)

If you have checked out the different packages that DeLightings provide you will find many other options available other than the $1900 package. I gave you the link in my first reply.

If you have checked quotes with other tankmakers, you will realise that a 2ft custom built tank with similar specs/equipment as the RSM will cost much much less than the RSM.

I have also given u my opinion on this.

I think he is more concern about the size den the equipment but if size is not a problem.. DE's package is quite a deal...

Member of:

Totally with Comycus on this. don;t just look at the price of the tankset. Need to look into the "organs".

I think we have all said our piece liao... but ultimately, it is still your decision.

keep us posted on the outcome!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

I think he is more concern about the size den the equipment but if size is not a problem.. DE's package is quite a deal...

Yupz I agree with you. My point is don't compare DE's package with RSM and say since RSM is cheaper and bigger, so it's a better deal. If TS wants to get the biggest possible hassle free tank set up within his budget, there are other better options that can be explored. :superman:

Yupz I agree with you. My point is don't compare DE's package with RSM and say since RSM is cheaper and bigger, so it's a better deal. If TS wants to get the biggest possible hassle free tank set up within his budget, there are other better options that can be explored. :superman:

:agreed:

I think with a 2k budget on tank set.. It is able to get a normal tank set with cabinet... But not sure about the equipment part.. Maybe you ca check with DE if a better tank, how much will it be...

Member of:

• SRC Member

Hi kksg,

Welcome to SRC! Just feel free to post your queries here.

A lot of passionate reefers on this forum who are most willing to share their experience /views.

I would opt for DE-Lighting Nano cube too over RSM too.

using the excess $$ lefover, you can prob invest in a better 2nd hand Artica chiller.

cheers

Jacky

I am also looking at the RSMD. Looks cool. IMHO, the de-lighting setup does not look as good, very messy.

• SRC Member

There are kiasu ppl out there that use gloves to handle corals. They prob belong to <1% of the reefing community.

Shops are normally stocked based on shipment. I think a visit to the LFSes is worth much more than the advice we can give you here on how the stores categorise their corals or how to tell btw soft and hard corals etc.

• SRC Member

I am also looking at the RSMD. Looks cool. IMHO, the de-lighting setup does not look as good, very messy.

de-lighting is not cheap. RSMD has a number shortcomings.. and maybe noisy too... but i like the 34 gallon size. I am going to iwarna to look at custom made tank this weekends and decide. personally i think spending $2k for 1.5ft is not worth it.. but others might have their views too.

• Sponsor

de-lighting is not cheap. RSMD has a number shortcomings.. and maybe noisy too... but i like the 34 gallon size. I am going to iwarna to look at custom made tank this weekends and decide. personally i think spending $2k for 1.5ft is not worth it.. but others might have their views too.

when i started this hobby as a newbie, i cannot convince myself to buy a good german skimmer that cost afew hundred dollars and ending up with a weipro. But now i understand the value of a good equipment and i have even purchase a skimmer worth 5k so far.

if u ask a senior reefer to choose between the RSM and a custom built tank, i will tell u that the answer will be clear which i think some of them have already explained.

For spending less than $2k for a full custom setup, i personnally find its not expensive. Trust me you will be spending more money if you get the wrong setup.

my 2 cents worth.....

btw, i will be at iwarna this weekend. call me and i can explain to u further

cheers

There seems to be some important gaps in your knowledge of this hobby and what you are getting into. Keeping marine fishes and corals is

not an easy task and having them thrive and survive long term is our goal.

Before spending good money on various equipment, do know that having the best and latest equipment, is no guarantee of success. There is no substitute for regular tank maintenance and monitoring of water parameters and livestock health. You have to know what to look out for and what to do when things go wrong.

Arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can before taking the plunge. Read up as much as you can about the animals that you wish to keep ( aggressive/shy, easy feeder/refuses food, disease resistant/white spot magnet, live foods only/flake will do, >4ft tank/nano will do, etc). In short, there is much to know.

In this hobby, patience is the key to success, trying to rush things and adding too many fishes at a time, even though ammonia and nitrite readings may be zero, disease outbreaks will likely happen. Having livestock perish one by one, leading to disappointment is one of the main reason why many leave this hobby.

Dont forget books, many good books are written with beginners in mind and guide the reader step by step, covering the essentials. the national library and its branches have a whole section devoted to marine fish and reefkeeping, and its free.

it is very easy to make the expensive mistake of rushing in before you are prepared.

keep your questions coming and keep us posted, good luck

• SRC Member

Ok. I am not saying RSM is good. The custom made 1.5 cube does come with some good equipments than RSM i agreed. I will visit iwarna and see if i am comfortable with the size/setup before making a decision.

Copepod, you can visit http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/ to see the shortcomings and goods of RSM before you made a decision.

:)

• SRC Member

There are kiasu ppl out there that use gloves to handle corals. They prob belong to <1% of the reefing community.

Thanks. I'm new to this hobby, i am just worried the corals poisions...

Shops are normally stocked based on shipment. I think a visit to the LFSes is worth much more than the advice we can give you here on how the stores categorise their corals or how to tell btw soft and hard corals etc.

• SRC Member

Live rock questions

I calculated i need about 14-15kg of LR. I intend to get 3 big pieces of LR and a few small pieces, ok? How do i choose LR? by texture? What should i be looking for in texture?

Tks.