Reefing Workshop for Newbies

PLS REFER TO THIS UPDATE THREAD : http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89328&pid=918465&st=0&#entry918465

Hi all

I have seen a couple of newbies who has just took up this hobby and has tons of questions/ misunderstandings.

I am thinking of inviting a couple of reefers to help hold a simple workshop just to through the basics of reefkeeping.

Hopefully this can help the newbies and at the same time, put a face to the nick and get to know each other.

This might or might not kick off depending on response. I will leave this invitation open 8th June and will decide then.

As there is

- massive coordination work involve

- time commitment from the reefers in the preparation of the topics

- renting of venue (most likely in a condo function room)

- refreshments preparation

I am proposing that a registration fee of approx $10 for those keen to attend.

Payment has to be made in advance to attending the workshop.

I will not be earning a cent from this workshop.

If there is any excess, I will either do a refund it back based on remaining amount or get something for everyone attending.

Date: 26 june 19 Jun

Time: 10:30 am sharp

Venue: to be determined. Tentatively CCK

Duration : 1.5hr

Tentative Agenda

( I have yet to put detail thoughts to this, will send a more detail agenda once if this workshop is confirmed)

- what tank size ?

- what is cycling, why its needed, how long does it take

- Ideal water parameters, PH, KH, Cal, Mg, etc etc .... testers, additives......

- introduction to eqpt and apparatus - refractometer, skimmers, CR, FR, etc etc.

- Introduction to livestock - various soft corals, LPS, SPS, fishes etc..... and their various specific requirements

- ** if there are any specific topics that you would like to be covered, you can also drop me a PM.

So if you are keen, pls indicate your nick here.

Registration (Closing date : 8th june)

1)

2)

3)

If you are an existing reefer and would like to come over to mingle, help out or share your experience to help this cause, please indicate your nick here:

1) jackwongto

2) comycus

3) AhSiang

4)

5)

6)

cheers

Jacky

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

tentatively, i am ok.I couldn't confirm until a week before the 26th June because of my work schedule. I will confirm before 8th June.

Thanks.

** i like to know more on the settings up of sump, overflow system, and protein skimmer.

Hi all

I have seen a couple of newbies who has just took up this hobby and has tons of questions/ misunderstandings.

I am thinking of inviting a couple of reefers to help hold a simple workshop just to through the basics of reefkeeping.

Hopefully this can help the newbies and at the same time, put a face to the nick and get to know each other.

This might or might not kick off depending on response. I will leave this invitation open 8th June and will decide then.

As there is

- massive coordination work involve

- time commitment from the reefers in the preparation of the topics

- renting of venue (most likely in a condo function room)

- refreshments preparation

I am proposing that a registration fee of approx $10 for those keen to attend.

Payment has to be made in advance to attending the workshop.

I will not be earning a cent from this workshop.

If there is any excess, I will either do a refund it back based on remaining amount or get something for everyone attending.

Date: 26 june

Time: 10:30 am sharp

Venue: to be determined. Tentatively CCK

Duration : 1.5hr

Tentative Agenda

( I have yet to put detail thoughts to this, will send a more detail agenda once if this workshop is confirmed)

- what tank size ?

- Ideal water parameters, PH, KH, Cal, Mg, etc etc .... testers, additives......

- introduction to eqpt and apparatus - refractometer, skimmers, CR, FR, etc etc.

- Introduction to livestock - various soft corals, LPS, SPS, fishes etc..... and their various specific requirements

- ** if there are any specific topics that you would like to be covered, you can also drop me a PM.

1)

2)

3)

If you are an existing reefer and would like to come over to mingle, help out or share your experience to help this cause, please indicate your nick here:

1) jackwongto

2) comycus

3) AhSiang

4)

5)

6)

cheers

Jacky

• SRC Member

Tentative Agenda

- what tank size ?

I would prefer a workshop which covers compatibility and selection of live stocks and corals. Example, broken down into high requirement (Strong lights, low temp), mid requirement (Mid light, average temp) and low requirements (very high tolerance). Any if possible, types of corals commonly found and their feeding requirements, such as manual feed requirements etc. As beginners are very easily falling into the trap of "pretty, buy, die", I believe this will help the beginners avoid unnecessary losses, which are not cheap at all. Just my S$0.02.

1)Billy Cheong (Tentative - May need to work on Saturday)

2)

3)

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

1) kksg2000 - will confirm before 8 June (** i like to know more on the settings up of sump, overflow system, and protein skimmer.)

2) Billy Cheong, Goondoo - Tentative, may need to work on Saturday. (** compatibility and selection of live stocks and corals)

3)

1) jackwongto

2) comycus

3) AhSiang

4)

5)

6)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Oops just realize the date conflicts with MASS kelong trip. I will be moving This event to a week later or earlier. Get back to u guys asap.

thread moved to the correct section.

will drop by to share my part on livestock selection, requirements and chide in on some equipment FAQ.

Will also drop by to poison newbie with unorthodox way... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Will also drop by to poison newbie with unorthodox way... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

hehehehe :superman: :superman:

good for them to be exposed to everything from equipment, livestock, and different ways of reefkeeping. i myself have tried some unorthodox methods before and it worked to my advantage but i think not as pro as yours LOL!

kk dont off topic.

• SRC Member

Oops I realized 26 June I have to work....it's a good idea to shift forward. May I suggest to gather at AM...place is friendly and people can c how the sump and overflow system is done and some reqirements of common livestocks that pple usually buy

l7304smr.jpg

Guys, let's shoot for 19 June. a week earlier. :)

• SRC Member

Guys, let's shoot for 19 June. a week earlier. :)

I won't be in Singapore that weekend....

Going snorkeling trip with family.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)