Goondoo's Trial

Goondoo

• SRC Member

Always wanted to try out marine. Managed to get hold of a used 3 footer and set up an initial scape (note to self: never get a tank of more than 2ft height again, back really hurts now) of what I had in mind. Iwarna's Victor had been extremely nice for accommodating to my 3 hours request to deliver the NSW (actually, i was just trying my luck, happen that the staff is free and available. Thanks Victor!).

I would not go into the mechanical details. Currently, the return is about 7000l/h, will be powered by a 250w MH (collecting on Saturday) and will be using a Teco TW4 chiller at 28dC.

This is just a quick snap using my phone camera.

4661502915_0bb22b7fdc.jpg

More will come after I start adding live stocks....

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Always wanted to try out marine. Managed to get hold of a used 3 footer and set up an initial scape (note to self: never get a tank of more than 2ft height again, back really hurts now) of what I had in mind. Iwarna's Victor had been extremely nice for accommodating to my 3 hours request to deliver the NSW (actually, i was just trying my luck, happen that the staff is free and available. Thanks Victor!).

I would not go into the mechanical details. Currently, the return is about 7000l/h, will be powered by a 250w MH (collecting on Saturday) and will be using a Teco TW4 chiller at 28dC.

This is just a quick snap using my phone camera.

4661502915_0bb22b7fdc.jpg

More will come after I start adding live stocks....

looks good.... :thumbsup:

those loose rocks on the bottom, u may want to use epoxy or super glue to stick them at the top so that u can place more corals and detritus will not accumulate at those dead spots...just my suggestion :friends:

l7304smr.jpg

at last get to see ur tank up and running it been mths liao. :groupwavereversed:

so time to show ur sump setup and equipment, which all of us will be more interested in that area. :yeah:

by the way wat's the height of ur tank my 2.5ft also hard time doing arangement :ph34r:

hey hi bro.

Yours is a 3x2x2? yup it can be real back breaking sometimes scaping these deep tanks. Thats why I love my nano so much... haha.

seems like you have quite a number of flat rocks. try getting more arcing ones or round cavy types.

That will help to break the "bookshelf" look a little.

question: you joined in 2005. This is your 1st marine?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

looks good.... :thumbsup:

those loose rocks on the bottom, u may want to use epoxy or super glue to stick them at the top so that u can place more corals and detritus will not accumulate at those dead spots...just my suggestion :friends:

If you are referring those on the bottom left...

yea, I am still figuring how to fit them in.... lol...

at last get to see ur tank up and running it been mths liao. :groupwavereversed:

so time to show ur sump setup and equipment, which all of us will be more interested in that area. :yeah:

by the way wat's the height of ur tank my 2.5ft also hard time doing arangement :ph34r:

My tank is of 29" depth. Since its my first time scaping rocks for marine, its indeed back breaking....

There is only one thing running in the sump area and you know better what it is.....

hey hi bro.

Yours is a 3x2x2? yup it can be real back breaking sometimes scaping these deep tanks. Thats why I love my nano so much... haha.

seems like you have quite a number of flat rocks. try getting more arcing ones or round cavy types.

That will help to break the "bookshelf" look a little.

question: you joined in 2005. This is your 1st marine?

Yea.... the biggest challenge is it look too much like a book shelf. I still have many smaller rocks but they don't really fit in. Still getting ideas from many pictures I can find in the forum.

May took the live rocks in my quarantine tank this weekend to complete the outlook, for the better I hope....

Technically, yes :P

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

Note to self:

Teco Chiller purge hot air via the front...... need to turn the chiller around so it purge away from the tank.

Collect DIGITAL PH ORP (2 in 1) CONTROLLER ELECTRODES from stevenkoh before he torpedo me...

Things to add:

Lights (viewing Saturday)

Wave maker (Undecided, still many doubts)

a more powerful return pump between 5000-7000l/h with adapter for 16mm hose.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

4670202883_ab12b16b05.jpg

Just some updates:

Added 250w MH light.

Added a Tunze Wavebox nano and Tunze 6026

Added live rocks from my existing holding tank, decomming holding tank soon...

Rocks were slightly rearrange for caves as priority. The Tunze 6025 aims directly into one on the main access of the caves to create flow within.

I like the new MH lights added, the colour is nice :) Now to search for a cheap'o pump and my purchase for equipments shall be complete (for now, at least)

Was monitoring the power with a digital device, about 500w when chiller is running ohmy.gifohmy.gif

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

Installed a digital meter to find out the actual power consumed over 24hrs.

4.7kWh from yesterday 2pm to today.

From Singapore Powers, per kilo watt hour cost $0.2521 including GST.

My daily contribution should increase by about $1.20 and estimate monthly (assuming 30 days) of about $35 (including GST).

Is this reasonable for a 3 footer?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

ya that's about the range

as we talk about it my 6footer bout increase a range of bout 40plus per mth so far, however maybe adding more equipment later part

I think the power consumption bounced quite a bit after activation of scrubber set. Will monitor the 24hrs reading again tomorrow.

Mean while, took some quick shots today before the batteries ran dry....

4678551120_0a6e142bb5.jpg

4678550634_b5be3c0324.jpg

4677921867_181482e235.jpg

4678550972_2fdf383752.jpg

Regards,

Billy Cheong

very nice pics bro.

Are those red ocellaris?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

very nice pics bro.

Are those red ocellaris?

Thanks, haven't shoot for sometime after my wrist injury.... camera set up prove too heavy for me now.... hand trembling like shooting GPMG.... sad.gif

Its just the $2 clowns I got from Iwarna yesterday... blushing.gif

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

what camera u using bro

Nikon D300

Sigma 150mm f2.8

SB800

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

ohh that's y the high end side

No lar, old liao...

Last time climb mountain bash jungle to shoot butts also no problem... poster_oops.gif

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

huh bro u mean u shoot ur own butt oh no :chair:

i've to better be careful than.....

chair.gif

I mean butterflies lar!

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

Wow... very nice clown shots... it makes me very curious about Henry's red clowns, and if they are really striking red.

Very nice macro shots... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glad you guys like it. ThanxSmiley.gif

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

Nice photo. :thumbsup:

Still wondering what is this

Thanks Jack! Your work and character have been a great inspiration to me.

From what I can gather, it looks like some Rhodactis Hairy Mushroom. It was given to me from the previous owner.

4680701687_a95cfd9d68_b.jpg

Picture taken from http://www.liveaquaria.com/

The picture on the bottom right look at least 90% identical.

Regards,

Billy Cheong