Backup power supply

peacemaker

• SRC Member

My office will be having some maintenance done at the end of the month, and I'll need a backup power supply to at least run either my return pump (Ehiem Compact 1000) or my MP10 for approx. 8hrs. Is there anyone who can direct me where I can get a reliable power supply that is easy to use? How much would it cost? Many thanks in advance! :bow:

• SRC Member

Sim Lim Square (3rd storey and above)

Sim Lim Tower...

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

As far as I know, some UPS might not be good to be used for our aquarium equipment due to the different electrical wavelength. If the UPS is designed for pc or server use, it's not to be used for our equipment. Learnt it here in SRC.

• SRC Member

As far as I know, some UPS might not be good to be used for our aquarium equipment due to the different electrical wavelength. If the UPS is designed for pc or server use, it's not to be used for our equipment. Learnt it here in SRC.

Oh my... do you have any alternative suggestions, or perhaps point me to a link where I can gather more information?

• SRC Member

Interesting.... Any good link for a start?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

Peace, since u have mp10 why not consider the battery backup from vortex? I'm planning to set up ups for my she tank as well, but still in oplanning stage. It will cos u approx 300, that will power ur mp10 for 3 to 7hrs. If u want a cheaper option, get a battery powered air pump. It actually can cover a blackout for 2 to r hrs.

• SRC Member

Peace, since u have mp10 why not consider the battery backup from vortex? I'm planning to set up ups for my she tank as well, but still in oplanning stage. It will cos u approx 300, that will power ur mp10 for 3 to 7hrs. If u want a cheaper option, get a battery powered air pump. It actually can cover a blackout for 2 to r hrs.

Battery operated air pumps can usually last more than 12 hrs on 2 energizer D size cheers.gif...

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

Haha... price is a great deterrence in this case, otherwise, I would have gotten it. :poster_oops:

• SRC Member

Battery operated air pumps can usually last more than 12 hrs on 2 energizer D size cheers.gif...

Are you very certain it'll last that long? I do have one that I bought from those live bait fishing shops. I was worried it wouldn't last that long, that's why I'm looking for other alternatives.

• SRC Member

Haha... price is a great deterrence in this case, otherwise, I would have gotten it. :poster_oops:

i got one taiwan made battery operated air pump at c328

can run very long (more then 24 hours continous on) with 2 D battery

bro if you need it sms me / pm me

• SRC Member

Are you very certain it'll last that long? I do have one that I bought from those live bait fishing shops. I was worried it wouldn't last that long, that's why I'm looking for other alternatives.

Well, I assume they could only get better...

We usually just use a pair for over night fishing under Sheares Bridge.... definitely more than 12 hrs.... (that was more than 10 years ago)

All I remember was Energizer "D" size batteries thumbsup.gif

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

Well, I assume they could only get better...

We usually just use a pair for over night fishing under Sheares Bridge.... definitely more than 12 hrs.... (that was more than 10 years ago)

All I remember was Energizer "D" size batteries thumbsup.gif

Lol... sounds good! :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

i got one taiwan made battery operated air pump at c328

can run very long (more then 24 hours continous on) with 2 D battery

bro if you need it sms me / pm me

Thanks for the offer, bro! I'll keep this in mind, and if my pump fails, you'll get an SOS call from me! :superman:

• SRC Member

Oh my... do you have any alternative suggestions, or perhaps point me to a link where I can gather more information?

You might ask the contractor doing the maintenance whether they can provide an extension to your tank.

Interesting.... Any good link for a start?

Have to search way back in SRC. Maybe try searching for UPS in this forum.

Bro,

If you just want a backup power supply and not the auto UPS... can goto Sim Lim tower to get a invertor + battery pack..

Calculate the total W you need (e.g. the air pumps + wavemaker = 60W), for buffer get a 100W inverter and tell the shop owner you need standby power for 8 hrs..he should be able to advice you on the Amp of the battery pack to buy. A 100W inverter + a small battery pack should not cost more than $150...

BTW, you might need to get a charger to charge the battery pack if the inverter don't bandle with this feature..

Can read my thread on this..

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86191&st=60

fts-022012.JPG

• SRC Member

You might ask the contractor doing the maintenance whether they can provide an extension to your tank.

Have to search way back in SRC. Maybe try searching for UPS in this forum.

I just want to read about it and consult the Electrical Engineers in my company... else also don't how to ask.

Tried searching and googling UPS too..... too many returns.... lol....

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

I just want to read about it and consult the Electrical Engineers in my company... else also don't how to ask.

Tried searching and googling UPS too..... too many returns.... lol....

I fail to search it here. But I remember distinctively that the sine wave produced by the UPS is not the same as the sine wave the motor in our equipment use. Hence, the motor might get damaged if used with UPS that is created for pc and server. I even remember that the UPS seller in the thread warned against using the UPS for equipment power back up, same reasoning too.

Should be ok to use cheapo UPS available in the market as the harmonics produced by the UPS is not strong enough to damage the wavemaker pumps because the pump motor used is small type and in water.

I think use airpump should be ok to circulate the water in the small tank for short period.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

I fail to search it here. But I remember distinctively that the sine wave produced by the UPS is not the same as the sine wave the motor in our equipment use. Hence, the motor might get damaged if used with UPS that is created for pc and server. I even remember that the UPS seller in the thread warned against using the UPS for equipment power back up, same reasoning too.

As far as I remember, UPS usually will give you a more stable Sine Wave compared to direct socket. Which is why I wonder how it could affect the equipments negatively.

Anyway, I will try go find out more from those engineers, thanks!

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

Hi Yujin,

For 8hrs, you might just want to consider battery operated air pumps. it is sufficient. :thumbsup:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||