dosing bateria

lcf425

• SRC Member

Hi bro, assuming your tank is already properly cycled, periodical dosing of bacteria is to boost the population of your bacteria so that your system can break down waste more efficiently. Similarly, when a new tank is set up, dosing of bacteria can speed up the process.

It is not an absolute necessity, but is good to do it once in a while. Think of it as drinking Yakult or Vitagen... aids digestion :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Hi bro, assuming your tank is already properly cycled, periodical dosing of bacteria is to boost the population of your bacteria so that your system can break down waste more efficiently. Similarly, when a new tank is set up, dosing of bacteria can speed up the process.

It is not an absolute necessity, but is good to do it once in a while. Think of it as drinking Yakult or Vitagen... aids digestion :P

ok cool then i was wondering what if people were to do water change without dosing bateria wouldnt they lose quite a bit of bateria though only removing 20% water?

• Senior Reefer

majority of the bacteria are found colonising your filter, sand and liverock.

bacteria loss from WC is negligible.

also, introducing bacteria now and then will help to increase gene pool and add new strains, new stock. bacteria reproduce in two ways

- "sexually"

- and asexually.

the major reproduction of bacteria occurs asexually. where one cell clones and divides.

in "sexual" reproduction, bacteria don't actually engage in sexual intercouse. instead, they use a special organ called a pilus, to inject other bacteria and steal their DNA. this DNA may contain a gene that a bacteria lacks, and thus, it steals it and uses it. Once stolen, the gene is integrated into the thief's DNA and then it can use it to manufacture certain products, etc.

adding new bacteria culture can help to increase different strains and genes. which will enable the bacteria to integrate new genes and thus, creating better strains of bacteria.

it is not compulsory to add though. i personally never dose bacteria.

• SRC Member

ok cool then i was wondering what if people were to do water change without dosing bateria wouldnt they lose quite a bit of bateria though only removing 20% water?

water change of 20% will not kill off that much bacteria, like what lemon mentioned, there's alot of bacteria within the sand and LR in your tank..

i normally do a 20% water change and i've not dose any bacteria yet...

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

majority of the bacteria are found colonising your filter, sand and liverock.

bacteria loss from WC is negligible.

also, introducing bacteria now and then will help to increase gene pool and add new strains, new stock. bacteria reproduce in two ways

- "sexually"

- and asexually.

the major reproduction of bacteria occurs asexually. where one cell clones and divides.

in "sexual" reproduction, bacteria don't actually engage in sexual intercouse. instead, they use a special organ called a pilus, to inject other bacteria and steal their DNA. this DNA may contain a gene that a bacteria lacks, and thus, it steals it and uses it. Once stolen, the gene is integrated into the thief's DNA and then it can use it to manufacture certain products, etc.

adding new bacteria culture can help to increase different strains and genes. which will enable the bacteria to integrate new genes and thus, creating better strains of bacteria.

it is not compulsory to add though. i personally never dose bacteria.

yupp heard from you before ^^

• SRC Member

water change of 20% will not kill off that much bacteria, like what lemon mentioned, there's alot of bacteria within the sand and LR in your tank..

i normally do a 20% water change and i've not dose any bacteria yet...

Cool and thanks

• Senior Reefer

Then what if have a uv light will the bateria go down ??

water passing through the UV.... anything passing through it will get killed...

as said before......... bacteria in water = very negligible.

• SRC Member

Then what if have a uv light will the bateria go down ??

you had already asked this question be4.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||