mantaining PH at normal range after light are off..

• SRC Member

Hi,was wondering what can I do to maintain ph of my 6 gallon tank in range after lights off.. During the day when the light are on..my ph range are normal from 8-8.2.. But after I off the light it will drop slowly to 7.39 ..which I think is not very good for a reef tank...what can I do ?

• SRC Member

Hi,was wondering what can I do to maintain ph of my 6 gallon tank in range after lights off.. During the day when the light are on..my ph range are normal from 8-8.2.. But after I off the light it will drop slowly to 7.39 ..which I think is not very good for a reef tank...what can I do ?

Add air pump?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

Air pump?? How does this work to maintain the ph ??

remove CO2? increase O2?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

Add kalkwasser. Use a kalkwasser reactor attached to a automatic top off system and a container of ro/di water. The automatic top off system will top up water and add kalkwasser to raise ph at night. Use this equipment after lights off to maintain ph at night.

Hope this helps!

• SRC Member

something to add for ur consideration - i do manual kalkwasser twice a week, via a plastic container which i puncture a pin-hole at the bottom side, sometimes i use a toothpick to stick in the hole to slow down the drip. do it at night when lights are out

• SRC Member

BTW, what's your kH?

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member

Good question... havnt got kh test kit for it..will get it soon..

I'm sure you know a higher kH will help you buffer big swings. :)

Regards,

Billy Cheong

How come some deters adding coral chip, as it will increase NO3 ???

Me getting confused here. I've just reduced and removed all my coral chips because advice from reefer to remove it, as some mentioned it's the cause of my high NO3 :unsure:

another simple way is to add coral chip in ur filter system but still have abit of swing but not that much

How come some deters adding coral chip, as it will increase NO3 ???

Me getting confused here. I've just reduced and removed all my coral chips because advice from reefer to remove it, as some mentioned it's the cause of my high NO3 :unsure:

ya if after it been left untouch and once disturb it'll cause high no3, but his case is just to maintain PH

so what he can do is be deligent by cleaning the coral chip every mth and have a high flow and that'll help on the problem

for me i also don't encourage on too many coral chip

ok I see . Looks like I have to place coral chips back into my systems .

Proberly be using larger sized chips and bag them using laundry bag for easy access and cleaning ....

By the way, does bio rings cause high NO3 too ? My bio rings are placed on the first chamber of my slump with high water flow .]

Sorry DrJekyl_MrHyde to OT on this thread .

it ok to have high flow but do place at the bottom of the sump and less bubble area for bio-ring

bact. colonies and cultivate more in either low flow of less oxygen means less bubble so why zovits system make it however u need some additives/media

bio ring don't really cause high no3 as bact house in it and start to digest alot of things

it ok to have high flow but do place at the bottom of the sump and less bubble area for bio-ring

bact. colonies and cultivate more in either low flow of less oxygen means less bubble so why zovits system make it however u need some additives/media

bio ring don't really cause high no3 as bact house in it and start to digest alot of things

seconded with bro steven abt bio-ring.Yes it dos'nt spike no3,and jus to add,it must be totally submerged without any of it exposing to the air.I'm using bio-ball and the PH mantain at abt 8.4 in the day and 8.1 when lights off.Weekly addition of kal mix w/white vinegal and DI water.Also extra powerhead to blast from to right when lights off,cos my wavemaker will auto shutoff.Hope dat helps.

• 1 year later...