Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS)

Goondoo

• SRC Member

I had received many PMs inquiring about the ATS we had BO previously. I created this thread to share everything I know or experience in the making and use of the above model designed by SantaMonica but customized to fit the resources we can find locally.

I understand it is not cheap to make the ATS box and I managed to convince one maker (also a friend) to assist making some samples for about $100 each previously so please do not act smart by taking my invoice/receipt to negotiate with the same maker (I kena screwed for nothing).:angry2::angry2:

Lightset - Aquazonic 2 x 24w light set

Can be acquired from Seaview, one of the cheapest I think since they give a further 15% discount.

Question: Did you get Aquazonic lights because it is the best option?

Answer: No, we got it because its the cheapest possible. (Touch wood, so far have no problem at all)

Question: Can I use other lightset?

Answer: The box is redesigned based on the Aquazonic dimensions. Go figure.

IMG_0043.jpg

2700K T5 tubes

Can be purchase from:

32 Ang Mo Kio ind park 2

Sing Ind complex

#06-15/16

0900hrs - 1800hrs mon - fri

0900hrs - 1300hrs sat

Below $8 each

Screen

I got my screen from Artfriends Takashimaya. It's use for stitching or something, about an A4 size netting. I cut it into half and use both, cleaning one of them every 3-4 days. Just a few dollars.

Pump

SantaMonica recommend at least 3000 l/h of flow for this design. I am using Rio HF17.

PVC Parts

PVC pipes and end cap can be found in most general hardware stores. The design we use is based on grey PVC, not white (supposedly different)

PVC connectors like the one below can get from the hardware shop beside the box maker but I suggest you placing an order with your neighborhood HW store.

IMG_0047.jpg

Challenges you may face:

1) Price of ATS box alone is not low, especially if you get it alone. The average quotes I get is between $190 per box. Cheapest about $150 for mass order.

2) Cutting a straight slit for the outflow - Use Dremel tool or drills a few holes and slowly cut with saw blade (please remember to use all necessary protective equipment such as gloves, eye protection glasses etc),

3) Getting the right flow - the level the box is place, angle of cuttings on pipes, angle, size of slit, thickness and material of screen, connection size, output speed, algae grow on slits etc can affect the flow.

Facts

1) ATS is the only filter I got for my tank, I did not measure the ANN since I didn't get the kits and there hadn't been big algae outbreaks for the last two months. (So those want to know the effectiveness can come help me measure :P)

2) I do not have the final design/drawing for the ATS box.

Those want to see how it works can contact me for an open house demonstration, $5 per person :P.

Other links

SantaMonica FAQ

More pictures of my set

Is ATS effective? As mentioned above, I do not measure and I won't comment, but SM constantly update this thread with reviews from happy users around the world.

Also like to specially thank Bro StevenKoh for the help, guidance and trust he had given me in this BO.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Screen

I got my screen from Artfriends Takashimaya. It's use for stitching or something, about an A4 size netting. I cut it into half and use both, cleaning one of them every 3-4 days. Just a few dollars.

PS: Just realised I could not edit my own post... lol...

post-3927-027664700 1280942984_thumb.jpg

post-3927-034511200 1280943000_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

I had received many PMs inquiring about the ATS we had BO previously. I created this thread to share everything I know or experience in the making and use of the above model designed by SantaMonica but customized to fit the resources we can find locally.

I understand it is not cheap to make the ATS box and I managed to convince one maker (also a friend) to assist making some samples for about $100 each previously so please do not act smart by taking my invoice/receipt to negotiate with the same maker (I kena screwed for nothing).:angry2::angry2:

Can be acquired from Seaview, one of the cheapest I think since they give a further 15% discount.

Answer: No, we got it because its the cheapest possible. (Touch wood, so far have no problem at all)

IMG_0043.jpg

2700K T5 tubes

Can be purchase from:

32 Ang Mo Kio ind park 2

Sing Ind complex

#06-15/16

0900hrs - 1300hrs sat

Below $8 each

Screen

Pump

SantaMonica recommend at least 3000 l/h of flow for this design. I am using Rio HF17.

PVC Parts

PVC pipes and end cap can be found in most general hardware stores. The design we use is based on grey PVC, not white (supposedly different)

PVC connectors like the one below can get from the hardware shop beside the box maker but I suggest you placing an order with your neighborhood HW store.

IMG_0047.jpg

Challenges you may face:

1) Price of ATS box alone is not low, especially if you get it alone. The average quotes I get is between $190 per box. Cheapest about $150 for mass order.

2) Cutting a straight slit for the outflow - Use Dremel tool or drills a few holes and slowly cut with saw blade (please remember to use all necessary protective equipment such as gloves, eye protection glasses etc),

3) Getting the right flow - the level the box is place, angle of cuttings on pipes, angle, size of slit, thickness and material of screen, connection size, output speed, algae grow on slits etc can affect the flow.

Facts

1) ATS is the only filter I got for my tank, I did not measure the ANN since I didn't get the kits and there hadn't been big algae outbreaks for the last two months. (So those want to know the effectiveness can come help me measure :P)

Those want to see how it works can contact me for an open house demonstration, $5 per person :P.

Other links

SantaMonica FAQ

More pictures of my set

Is ATS effective? As mentioned above, I do not measure and I won't comment, but SM constantly update this thread with reviews from happy users around the world.

Also like to specially thank Bro StevenKoh for the help, guidance and trust he had given me in this BO.

Interested to get one but not able to fit into my sump area....

:(

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

• SRC Member

Very helpful info from bro Goondoo.

To add, for the slot, can also use metal grinder, those reno contractor who used it to cut metals and tiles (i think). Easy to use and cut too.

As for the screen, can also purchase at Ang Mo Kio and Chinatown. Pics and locations can be found in this SM thread:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73162&st=960&p=863555&#entry863555

• SRC Member

Plenty of other DIY design here. Not that difficult to DIY.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73162

Thanks bro....

Thought of getting into BO if managed....

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

• 1 year later...

Me too

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

IMG_0043.jpg

2700K T5 tubes

Can be purchase from:

32 Ang Mo Kio ind park 2

Sing Ind complex

#06-15/16

0900hrs - 1300hrs sat

Below $8 each

Screen

Pump

PVC Parts

IMG_0047.jpg

Challenges you may face:

Facts

Other links

SantaMonica FAQ

More pictures of my set

Frd,if we manage to get the bo going,will u kindly order it for us?

IMG_0043.jpg

2700K T5 tubes

Can be purchase from:

32 Ang Mo Kio ind park 2

Sing Ind complex

#06-15/16

0900hrs - 1300hrs sat

Below $8 each

Screen

Pump

PVC Parts

IMG_0047.jpg

Challenges you may face:

Facts

Other links

SantaMonica FAQ

More pictures of my set

Frd,if we manage to get the bo going,will u kindly order it for us?

I manage to contact goondoo,n he has confirm tat if we can get at least 10 pieces from a BO,he will get a good price for us.so anyone. Interested pls leave ur name n contact in here(or u can pm me ur hp no) n will place order once the number reaches 10 ppl,n u shall be notified.

So I myself must put my name

1) les71 aka soon.

Any idea how much

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Ok.Count me in.

I want 1 ft ATS. No need light.

1)les71

2)kenny1111 - 92712544

3)Sherman - 1ft without light

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer