weileong's 4ft tank

weileong

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried and tested last night and it can take the backflow no problem, still got extra capacity but I not pushing it to the limit so I have turned off my MD40 running as return pump. Now turn over rate dropped to abt 2000 l/h :P

In fact I have lowever the water level in the skimmer cos the skimmate is a little too wet so now the backflow will be even lesser :P I will readjust the water level in the slump after I get the correct water level in the skimmer :P

• SRC Member
The hissing noise from the air ###### is quite loud :P

You can DIY a silencer, by getting a small container, drill 2 holes, and stuff some wool inside. One hole is connected to the skimmer airhose, the other one just leave it open.

Or you can buy the silencer for Macro Skimmer, but dun think it is available in the market yet. ;)

• SRC Member

Wah pianz...i almost forgot i m lookin at ur thread. The moment saw tat monster betw 2 tanks tot i am visitin some LFS's thread :P

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

I strongly suggest turning the skimmer around so that the reaction chamber faces you.

Its not only for aesthetic purposes but also practical reasons... you need to remove the collection cup for cleaning! ;)

My 2 cents.

AT

Also, remember my tip?

The clear acrylic downtubes will get encrusted with coralline algae/nuisance algae soon if you don't shield it from light... it will save you a lot of maintenance work later on and also prevent a loss of skimmer efficiency.

Its hard to find a flat shallow tray long enough to soak your downtubes in acid to dissolve coralline algae as it is not easily broken down into at least two shorter pieces.

But its a chio looking skimmer... one day must come over and admire! :)

• SRC Member
Also, remember my tip?

The clear acrylic downtubes will get encrusted with coralline algae/nuisance algae soon if you don't shield it from light... it will save you a lot of maintenance work later on and also prevent a loss of skimmer efficiency.

Its hard to find a flat shallow tray long enough to soak your downtubes in acid to dissolve coralline algae as it is not easily broken down into at least two shorter pieces.

But its a chio looking skimmer... one day must come over and admire! :)

AT,

Are you suggesting to wrap the downtube with some sort of plastic or paper to cover it from light? But how to see the bubble if this is the case?

AT,

Are you suggesting to wrap the downtube with some sort of plastic or paper to cover it from light? But how to see the bubble if this is the case?

Hmmm.... IMO, although its a novelty factor and quite cool to see clear downtubes (which turns white anyway because of the foam bubbles and no diff from white PVC pipes)... it has zero practical purposes.

You monitor the quality of the bubbles in the main reaction chamber & riser tube coz it's impossible to see them rushing by at high speeds in the downtube.

Previously I had to wrap my old skimmer's body in paper to prevent diatoms, slime algae, coralline algae from growing on the body! Light will trigger growth of such algae thru clear acrylic!

I like the double downtube supports of the BAR skimmers! Can they be removed?

Yes they are removable. Everything strips down easily.

As for the cleaning of the down tube. It can be done easily by construction one out of 3" PVC pipe. But I'll see how I can cover them.

Anyway here's the latest on the skimmer. Trying to adjust for dry skimmate.

post-34-1086769088.jpg

Well... you should at least aim to block out as much light from reaching your skimmer. You don't really have to cover the whole entire body. I shielded half my skimmer to prevent algae growth... or you can simply keep so much SPS that coralline algae will not grow... heehehe...

• SRC Member

So if this is the case, why everyone is going for clear acrylic to build their skimmer? Why not just use white PVC, and it is so much cheaper. Only keep a small section, like the riser tube as acrylic. This could cut down 50% of the cost.

So if this is the case, why everyone is going for clear acrylic to build their skimmer? Why not just use white PVC, and it is so much cheaper. Only keep a small section, like the riser tube as acrylic. This could cut down 50% of the cost.

Good question.

Besides looks? The ability to see inside the skimmer and see if there is anything foreign inside? Or if the foam production is uneven?

The really huge commercial skimmers are not made out of clear acrylic but of some plastic material or PVC... and they do have clear ports for people to peek inside.

more picture lay...

Anyway, did you try out the experiment about diverting all the flow of the mx70 into a single beckett?

You can take a look at my skimmer pix running one beckett on one MX-70.

The foam is even more impressive... than running on MD55. ;)

• SRC Member

Sorry lah...read too fast. Now a day got to read so many thread at the same time... really taxing. For those people who missed it, here it is: hehehe.

===========================================

Patrick and Deepblue, I've tried to just run one beckett off the MX70 and it seems that spitting it and running two beckett gives a higher bubble density. I say this because the "water level" is higher but that was when I just installed it and the skimmer has not kicked in yet.

After that I went to try it again and seems like running off one beckett really gives lower bubble production. Since I already have two beckett I will just run both The hissing noise from the air ###### is quite loud

==========================================

Yes they are removable. Everything strips down easily.

As for the cleaning of the down tube. It can be done easily by construction one out of 3" PVC pipe. But I'll see how I can cover them.

Anyway here's the latest on the skimmer. Trying to adjust for dry skimmate.

abit reddish.. u just fed cycloz-"pee"..??

do you off your skimmer whenever u dose stuffs n feed?

I tik ii will b veri efficient in skimming watever u "dump" in..