weileong

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY IMPRESSIVE bro..

the huge fins look just like one taken out of a car  :lol:

no wonder the cooling performance so good

Yes the fins are very impressive. But the more impressive thing you've to do is to stand in front of the chiller and feel the fan (16w)blowing. It is very strong, can even feel it when you stand 5m away. I think it is the strong fan + large fins that gives the high efficiency. I noted that the cooling coils in this chiller has small volume compared ot the one in the 1.25hp Titanium. Sometimes larger doesn't meant better :P

The chiller started running at 19:03hrs and temp was 27.2 deg C. It stopped at 19:15hrs and temp was 26.6 deg C. The HY cannot be set and defaults to 1 deg F (abt 0.66 deg C). This is with my main (650W) MH running.

The resolution for the temp sensor is 0.2 deg C.

I had calibrate (OT = -1.4 deg C) the temp sensor to match the thermometer reading in my tank. This was not mentioned in the manual for the commerical chiller but mentioned in the manual of the aquarium chiller. I just give it a try and it worked. Just follow the manual by pressing the "up" and "down" button at the same time and hold for 10sec. Then just set the OT and wait a few sec and you're done.

Everything seems cool except for the noise which is a little noisy but on par with all my pumps running, MD55 + oceanfree 9000. The noise will not be an issue once I shift the chiller remotely.

I also measured the different in the temp of the water going into and coming out of the chiller, different is 1.5 deg :P This is with abt 3000 litres flow rate. No wonder so fast chill down.

Wow... the fins look impressive! But its going to one hell of difficult to clean in a months time when it will be guaranteed filled with dust! I wonder if there is an alcohol spray that can be used for self-maintenance?

I just measure the parameters from the CR.

Cutting cost on my test kit so did not measure kH and Ca of the effluent.

Before installation of 2nd chamber

Date Tank water kH Ca Effluent pH Drip Rate CO2 rate 16/4 8 405 6.6 3 drop/sec 1 bubble/2.5sec

CR 2nd chamber installed on 19/4

20/4 8 395 6.66 3 drop/sec 1 bubble/2.5sec

I had recalibrated my pH controller yesterday so now the pH reading in my tank is 8.37, before that it was 8.43 so the actual difference of the effluent should be more than 0.06, probably nearer to 0.1

I will need a few more days to tune the CR so I get a steady reading on the kH and Ca. The salifert test kit used could have some error on the part of myself judging the color change so taking measurement for a few more days would give a clearer picture.

• SRC Member

erhm actually the fins and fan are standard 1/2hp sets. The only difference is they anodised it blue and tilted it to its side. 16W fan is small already.

The fan would have been more effective if it was ###### direct behind the cooling coil fins.

The reason its so powerful is cos its basically blowing straight out at you from the back.

Other than that, I dun see any much difference.

Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

Glad you like it so much.

I think the bigger helix coil version may perhaps be better due to the theory behind it.

However, Weileong....a bigger heat exchanger coil will always perform much better than a smaller one.....provided the coils in it are maximised and occupies the whole container.

I only paid $1200 for my pacific coo 1/2hp how much did your pay for this? Just curious. :P

Anyway it is very easy to judge the performance. Just measure the different in the temp of the water going in and coming out of the chiller. See how much temp is drop and what's the flow rate and you'll have an idea of the actual cooling power.

I've actually checked with another friend who is using the pacific coo. It's quiet, it can cool down his 5ft and he got no complains. But end up I still choose this chiller due to various reasons.

But then you've to remember I am not selling any chiller so there is no conflict of interest at all.

If the product no good and pple make me think it is good and sell it to me, I buy and use already butahan I will go bash until it die :P

Do you think it is time to open up and let people know what's good and what's no good? What works well and what doesn't work well? Instead of all the misconception flying around.

hmm one of these days I got to go over to those who got this chiller and get to heard how the noise level like..

will be upgrading to this chiller too later this year..

Alan, you're most welcome to pay me a visit to hear how noisy this chiller is.

Due to the noise, perhaps the 1/3hp aquarium version might be more suitable for most pple.

• SRC Member
Anyway it is very easy to judge the performance. Just measure the different in the temp of the water going in and coming out of the chiller. See how much temp is drop and what's the flow rate and you'll have an idea of the actual cooling power.

I've actually checked with another friend who is using the pacific coo. It's quiet, it can cool down his 5ft and he got no complains. But end up I still choose this chiller due to various reasons.

But then you've to remember I am not selling any chiller so there is no conflict of interest at all.

If the product no good and pple make me think it is good and sell it to me, I buy and use already butahan I will go bash until it die :P

Do you think it is time to open up and let people know what's good and what's no good? What works well and what doesn't work well? Instead of all the misconception flying around.

I think everyone is entitled to his own opinion of what he think is good and worth paying money for. That's why there are so many chiller brands out there.

On the other hand, a honest feedback that can help all the bros on this SRC to save money is very well appreciated. Thank you Weileong.

Cheers,

Patrick

Due to certain reasons in which I do not wish to get into conflicts with your chiller brand, I won't want to do this in public. But you are free to pop by my place to see for yourself which I have been asking you to do so for months liao.  :lol:

bro,

Since bo tai chi you come like this and you're so confident about the cooling power of the chiller you're selling. Why don't we arrange for a side-by-side test?

1.25hp Titanium Chiller vs 0.5hp Pacific Coo vs 0.5hp Artica.

I am really interested to know if what I get is junk or jewel.

Errmm.. I heard it needs 4hrs to cool your tank by 1 or 2 degs with all lights running? Or I remember wrong, the time needed is shorter?

Errm.... maybe you like to pop in at my place and look at the actual size of the cooling fins? For whatever reason I can't see how the 0.5hp pacific coo can have a cooling fin that is larger than this?

The air coming out from that chiller is also not as strong so how can this fan be small? Don't look at fan wattage but look at the air volume.

Heat exchanger don't depend on actual size, it depends on the total surface area avaliable for heat transfer. Bigger doesn't always meant larger surface.

No doubt what I paid for my chillre is more than the chiller you're selling what don't you know this is already my 3rd chiller? Do you think I wanna take the risk? Price is no longer an issue to me. The chiller has to suit what I want!

Only be having a comparison test then what you said can hold substance. Else we will always take it as because you're selling the chiller and has commerical interest in your comments.

This is just my opinion and I hope you're not offended.

• SRC Member

looks good.. but issn't 1 deg differential too small?

I mean if my tank water volume is less, it's very fast to raise 1 deg which mean the chiller going to kick start ery often?

Is there anyway to set it's to 2 deg differential?

There is some misunderstanding with bro cookiemunster and I was a little heated up this afternoon.

I've had a good chat with him earlier this evening and turned out that both of us read reach other's mind wrongly :P

The air is cleared and everything has returned to peace already.

Did a detailed monitoring of the chiller performance.

With 72W PL running only.

Time deg C

23:05 temp 27.4 compressor start

23:25 temp 26.6 compressor stop

00:28 temp: 27.4 compressor start

00:48 temp: 26.6 compressor stop

With 600W MH + 72W PL running.

19:02 temp 27.4 compressor start

19:30 temp 26.6 compressor stop

With 600W of MH running, it needs 28mins to cool 0.8 degs and from here you get about 1 deg drop/35mins. This is almost 2 deg drop/hr.

With the 72W PL running only, it needs 20mins to cool 0.8 degs and that works out to be about 1 deg drop/25mins. This is more than 2 degs drop/hr.

Of course other stuffs that runs non-stop are

MD55 driving the EV-240

ehiem 1260

oceanfree 9000 (90W 4500 l/h)

36W UV

ehiem 1250 circulation pump in CR.

Good good. Looks good to me. Seems like there are chillers out there which perform a lot better than the *.***p **. ;)

Nothing we dislike more than people who don't deliver what they promise or give substandard stuff. But they shall sow what they reap. The truth is out there. :fear:

• SRC Member

Hey weileong, just want to share that youare the 2nd or 3rd guy whom have switched from Ti to artica. One other person I knew did the change is a guy in clementi but he was using for planted tank. I think he has switched to the artica 1/3 hp unit and was very happy with the noise level and cooling efficiency.

I was really contemplating to by the unit you have from boon keng shop but itchy hands decided to get a tiatnium coil from Alvy and get my aircon man to diy one for me using aircon units. First day of use the unit brought down the temp from 32 to 28 in just 1 hour. Looks ugly but it is sitting outside my house. Am pretty sure you have landed yourself a good product. Cheers

Hi Blenny,

I would like to know how much it cost you to DIY + the compressor BTU (I believe u get those in at least 1HP?) I'm sure if you using the typical split Aircon type DIY setup, you can get very good efficiency, beside the huge form factor?

Thanks for sharing

:thanks:

Max

actually how about such chillers ah...

http://www.aqualogicinc.com/

The Cyclone ® Water Chiller with Drop-In Titanium Coil

• 5 ft. Flexible Refrigeration Line

• No Plumbing Required

• Remote Helix Titanium Coil

• Fresh or Saltwater Use

• Quiet Operation

• Black ABS Cover

• Ozone Friendly Refrigerant (134A)

• Requires Temperature Controller

• For Commercial or Home Aquarium

• Ideal for Aquaculture or Hydroponics

best part is that there is no plumbing needed...just dip the titanium coil in direct cooling with the water....will it cool faster due to the direct contact?

post-34-1082596071.jpg