Keeping Shark

peong

• SRC Member

:lol:

Got two zebra sharks from Ah Beng few weeks ago, size about 4-4.5" and now feeding on mysis. I will try on pellet.

They are cute to me!!! :wub: Any reefer have this species can share your experience here?

post-3149-017978700 1284128350_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

:lol:

Got two zebra sharks from Ah Beng few weeks ago, size about 4-4.5" and now feeding on mysis. I will try on pellet.

They are cute to me!!! :wub: Any reefer have this species can share your experience here?

wow Nice!! hmm I feel that their kinda blind have very poor sight so yarh must put food nearer

hmm good luck on the pellets!

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member

wow Nice!! hmm I feel that their kinda blind have very poor sight so yarh must put food nearer

hmm good luck on the pellets!

yes, u r right, but now they know what's mysis liao and know to get food from the bottom. Just wondering how long must I feed them to reach 1ft of size :upsidedown: as I felt that my current size should be a new born baby, they not even know how to swim properly. :upsidedown:

• SRC Member

I once kept a new born before its easy cause it still has the umbilical cord with the sack providing it with food

can't imagine what if it grows large about 2ft plus shark fin soup?? hahaha

oh yes its eating on mysis?? :thumbsup:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member

not trying to be a wet blanket. this forum is about responsible reefing and i believed keeping sharks of any kind in a home tank is definitely a no go. unless, one's is staying in extremely large bunglow with a super huge underwater world like tank or large marine pond.

I guess it is still fine as these sharks will only get to a length of 2ft in captivity(If I never remember wrongly, Lazy to go and search)... It is still possible to keep them in a fibreglass tank or a 5-6ft tank without any problem...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

although it is just 2 feet its also too cramp and confined them in fiber glass tub or 5 feet tank. indochine, ###### restaurant at wisma also didn't managed to keep the sharks alive for long in confined tank and they gave them up within less then a year.

I just hope it is not the real zebra shark!!! Becos that shark is not meant to be kept in captivity.. THEY GROW UP TO 8.2 FT!!!

I am talking about bamboo sharks, they are not that difficult to keep and can be kept in a BIG fibreglass tank although still not encouraged...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

True. I've seen people keeping shark of about 2 feet size in a 6'.

Thou tank is big but still I find that the shark seems not happy leh coz swim here swim there like very meaningless.

I love shark so much but also never keep coz I find it not realistic.

For me I I keep,I make sure mine's a 8'

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

No leh no pics of it...

Its like very long time ago le...

Should have 10 years ago ba...

The marine aquarium located at sims drive there...1 of the shop in those factory area behind a temple...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Due to unknown disease to my fish tank, many fishes died one by one, my two little sharks n horses two... :cry2:

Well, from my experiance, baby shark is more difficult to keep, u need to keep the water level as low as possible cos u need to feed them near their mouth. Well, learnt a hard lesson, better to set individual tank for different keeping.

• SRC Member

Not easy la dude...Thou i may not have much knowledge about sharks but i do know that sharks unlike other fishes where they have scales. Sharks tends to get disease very easily due to no scales on them that y u can see there's this small fishes following them whenever they go.(forgotten the name of the fish liao lol.Begin with R if not wrong)

• SRC Member

Sharks do not have scales but they do have shark skin. These are skin that faces 1 direction to help provide the shark with a smooth forward motion. They are very rough to the touch, very similar to a sand paper. No idea if this shark skin is succeptible to disease though but I doubt it.

The small fish that Ducados mention starting with the letter R is the Remoras. They are actually an opportunistic feeder that follow sharks as well as manta ray and even whales. They have a suction cup like appendages that is located above their head and they will use it to stick to the sharks, manta ray or whales in order to travel together without them using a lot of energy to keep up with the bigger fish long distance travel. They will feed on the bits and pieces that the shark left over during feeding as sharks usually thrash around when feeding and the flesh of the food the shark is consuming might tear out during these period. These is when the Remoras go out and grabs whatever is floating around near it.

Due to unknown disease to my fish tank, many fishes died one by one, my two little sharks n horses two... :cry2:

Well, from my experiance, baby shark is more difficult to keep, u need to keep the water level as low as possible cos u need to feed them near their mouth. Well, learnt a hard lesson, better to set individual tank for different keeping.

Another impulse buyer. There are people and organization that are fighting to keep these species alive and out of the dinner plate and noobs like you, not doing enough research on how to keep or feed these animal, are killing their young. It looks like the tank that you place these creature do not have enough filtration to keep with the bioload and the bacteria is overwhelmed. I believe that ammonia and nitrate is what cause the demise, rather than disease. Sadly, you have killed 2 of a species of the family that are endangered or are facing extinction in the wild.

yes, u r right, but now they know what's mysis liao and know to get food from the bottom. Just wondering how long must I feed them to reach 1ft of size :upsidedown: as I felt that my current size should be a new born baby, they not even know how to swim properly. :upsidedown:

Do you think mysis and pellets would sustain these fishes? Hmm, come to think of it, they might die due to malnutrition or hunger, not disease as you speculate.

not trying to be a wet blanket. this forum is about responsible reefing and i believed keeping sharks of any kind in a home tank is definitely a no go. unless, one's is staying in extremely large bunglow with a super huge underwater world like tank or large marine pond.

I agree. Keeping a shark or 2 in this case, in a betta box, is cruel. Feeding them less than the amount they need is worse. Buying them and not knowing how to keep them is very bad.

I guess it is still fine as these sharks will only get to a length of 2ft in captivity(If I never remember wrongly, Lazy to go and search)... It is still possible to keep them in a fibreglass tank or a 5-6ft tank without any problem...

They might be small but they need a large grazing area. Need to maintain the responsibility-ness of this forum to protect the shark species from being decimated due to human consumption.

True. I've seen people keeping shark of about 2 feet size in a 6'.

Thou tank is big but still I find that the shark seems not happy leh coz swim here swim there like very meaningless.

I love shark so much but also never keep coz I find it not realistic.

For me I I keep,I make sure mine's a 8'

I whole hearted agree with this. Better not to keep in my humble opinion.

I've said my piece on this subject. Hope this helps!

• SRC Member

Thanks BFG, a seriously responded reefer, your input really enlighten me. I'm guilty to admit that it was my impulse to bought the two rare sharks home, I fully support the endangered animals protection, and learn to be a responsible reefer in SRC. :bow:

• 2 years later...