Skimmer & Refugium placement

Skimmer & Refugium placement  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How does your sump water flow?

• Mechanical filtration -> skimmer -> refugium -> return pump
    • Mechanical filtration -> refugium -> skimmer -> return pump
    • Mechanical filtration -> skimmer -> return pump -> T-joint to refugium -> return pump

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I'm currently planning for a new sump & would like to know how folks in this community have theirs setup.

My aim is not so much to get the darkest possible skimmate on the skimmer, but more to achieve the best possible water quality returning to the display tank with the limited sump design in the selection above.

I have a feeling the sequence of placing skimmer & refugium may have some impact to the overall effect, and would like to tap on those who're more experienced & knowledgeable in this topic.

All comments are welcome.

• SRC Member

Skimmer should be place in compartment whereby water will not be fluctuate. Else gonna keep adjusting the skimmer...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

What's the reason for doing that?

I think it's because

Firstly the water must be skimmed then flow to return pump to return to main tank.

Another reason is to prevent micro bubbles from being suck n pump into main tank by return pump thou some doesn't matter about the micro bubbles...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

OK, spend past few days planning & drawing out my new sump. Would like to post it for all to comment for further improvement in its design.

Design Constrains

- Maximum foot print allowed in tank cabinet to be 17"L x 19"W.

- Overflow & return piping located at inner right hand corner of cabinet.

- 5gal holding capacity to cater to main tank back flow during power outage.

In addition, I'd like to attempt DSB refugium for this BB FOWLR tank. There will be cheato growing over the sand bed to help with nutrients export.

Flow schematics

This will allow me to achieve slower flow rate for the refugium.

5106378539_b2a739db0b.jpg

Below is the Top down view

5106324843_308a8e8cfc.jpg

Below is the side view

5106325029_9c03149c5f.jpg

Below is the 3D view (plumbing in red)

5106325377_710c0d47ed.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Tunicate, do you still have the pic of your sump design. As these pic already too long ago in flickr, maybe you can upload it again ? Thanks

Yes it will be great to see the design again .

If I have like 60inches length, 18inches wide & more than 24inches height for my rack below. How would you recommend me to do the design ? I having 2 reactors, 1 skimmers (10inches footprint) & 1 Calcium reactor which is also 10inches footprint & one Eheim 1264 return pump.

Thanks

• SRC Member

Thanks a lot Tunicate, appreciate it very much. A question to ask. Do we still have to use cheato(refugium?) if we apply the UAS system ?

I don't think you need chaeto if UAS is functioning properly.

• SRC Member

If I have like 60inches length, 18inches wide & more than 24inches height for my rack below. How would you recommend me to do the design ? I having 2 reactors, 1 skimmers (10inches footprint) & 1 Calcium reactor which is also 10inches footprint & one Eheim 1264 return pump.

Thanks

The setup in the diagram was my previous sump setup. I've learned from its weakness. i.e.

- Ease of access for sump maintenance is important. (Difficult access will discourage maintenance frequency, resulting in poor water parameters.)

Example: I would love to have an extra cabinet door on the side to easily change filter socks.

- Separate flow rate into refugium is too slow & it affect chaeto growth. Refugium also collected much unfiltered detritus that requires regular cleaning.

Below is a possible setup for your rectangular sump layout. The blue baffle eliminates micro bubbles. The red baffle control water level in the skimmer chamber.

The green baffle control water level in reactor chamber.

Note:

- Red baffle can be removed if both skimmer & reactors can operate on same water level (controlled by green baffle).

- Blue baffle can be removed if there's issue of micro bubbles.

- Calculate the extra holding capacity of your sump design to cater to display tank back flow during power outages.(IMPORTANT)

8701362142_9f9a144d11_b.jpg

• SRC Member

In addition, I found out that external return pump is so much more troublesome to dismantle for cleaning. (Made worst if access is limited) There's always a worry for water leakage from these joints.

Overall, I find that the benefits of reduced heat transfer into water does not overcome the ease of pump maintenance & water leakage risk.

I doubt the regular cleaning on the UAS allows copepods to thrive.

So in this case, what is your best suggestion ? Do you mean that if I use UAS method then there's no ways to breed copepods ? Or shall do another compartment after the UAS before the return pump ? Or is there any other better way to do it? :blush:

The setup in the diagram was my previous sump setup. I've learned from its weakness. i.e.

- Ease of access for sump maintenance is important. (Difficult access will discourage maintenance frequency, resulting in poor water parameters.)

Example: I would love to have an extra cabinet door on the side to easily change filter socks.

- Separate flow rate into refugium is too slow & it affect chaeto growth. Refugium also collected much unfiltered detritus that requires regular cleaning.

Below is a possible setup for your rectangular sump layout. The blue baffle eliminates micro bubbles. The red baffle control water level in the skimmer chamber.

The green baffle control water level in reactor chamber.

Note:

- Red baffle can be removed if both skimmer & reactors can operate on same water level (controlled by green baffle).

- Blue baffle can be removed if there's issue of micro bubbles.

- Calculate the extra holding capacity of your sump design to cater to display tank back flow during power outages.(IMPORTANT)

8701362142_9f9a144d11_b.jpg

Wow.... Thanks so much for this suggestion & drawing but where do I put my refugium and/or the UAS ? Do I need to make another seperate compartment or the center of the Reactors for either one or both Cheato & UAS chamber ? Basically is it necessary to have copepods ? Is it beneficiary to all live stocks or just some particular fishes like Mandarin Fish?

• SRC Member

So in this case, what is your best suggestion ? Do you mean that if I use UAS method then there's no ways to breed copepods ? Or shall do another compartment after the UAS before the return pump ? Or is there any other better way to do it? :blush:

If you want a biological way to remove nutrients & breed copepods at the same time, then cultivating chaeto rather than UAS may be more suitable for your requirement.

• SRC Member

Wow.... Thanks so much for this suggestion & drawing but where do I put my refugium and/or the UAS ? Do I need to make another seperate compartment or the center of the Reactors for either one or both Cheato & UAS chamber ? Basically is it necessary to have copepods ? Is it beneficiary to all live stocks or just some particular fishes like Mandarin Fish?

In that case, you can move the blue & red baffles to the left so that the skimmer & reactors are together in the 1st compartment. (provided all these equipment can operate properly at the skimmer's required water level.)

Then make the 2nd compartment between the red & green baffles your refugium for chaeto. As you'll be having lights shining down into this compartment, use darken glass for both green & red baffles to minimise light transmitting into 1st & last compartments. This would reduce unwanted algae growth.

Lastly, install a filter comb on top of the green baffles to minimise break away chaeto from choking your return pump.