starting a nano tank

s9534891b

you're not

now everything has been okay, but i add a juv behn's damsel on 2 july ,the fish did well for nearly a month. then today , i bought a small ocellaris clown from am and i realized that inside my small tank, it was hanging on top of the water column and also being bullied by the behn's damsel,but now it is going to die soon.anyway, the water haven't been changed yet for one month also.

so what should i do now? any advice?

i understand this is all very exciting for you, but adding so many fish at one time will not help at all. it takes weeks for the system to stabilise, and by stabilise i mean don't make ANY changes to the tank at all. just leave it running for weeks, changing water weekly, top off daily evaporation.

your salinity is too low, 1.023 is ideal. there's so much more i could tell you, but i think its better if you do your own research, in the mean time stop buying new fish.

Bro I'm sorry if you misread my post.

For me it's perfectly fine to put one damsel to gauge your water parameters but it's not right to add 3 more onto your existing stock to brawl it out.

Just keep the fish number at one or two max! And if there's aggression remove the aggressor and pass it back to lfs.

Don't add any livestock if that fish died in the process. It simply means your tank is not completely cycled.

Having said this, I'll wish that you understand that prior to addition of the first fish, a proper cycling is still required.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• 7 years later...

Hi Guys, plan to get back into the hobby again.  Where do you  guys think I should start from?

Let's say if it is starting from a 3 feet tank and work my way up possible?

• SRC Member
Hi Guys, plan to get back into the hobby again.  Where do you  guys think I should start from?

i think a 3ft with a sump is a great starting point. not too big so it’s easier to do water changes but not too small that stability might be a greater challenge. then i’d upgrade to something like a 5ft to get more out of it in the future if serious about the hobby.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

On 6/15/2020 at 12:13 PM, s9534891b said:

What do you plan to keep? FOWLR or reef? I would suggest keeping fish with live rock only for a few months before adding coral.