starting a nano tank

s9534891b

• 4 months later...

after a few month of planning, my teacher finally gave me a tank but at first, there was one yellow tail damsel,but suddenly

my father added a few fishes wich they started to create. havoc in the tank.

post-14815-0-12475100-1307937029_thumb.jafter a few month of planning, my teacher finally gave me a tank but at first, there was one yellow tail damsel,but suddenly

my father added a few fishes wich they started to create. havoc in the tank. note;yellow tail damsel lost parts of its tail

the second picures , this time with all the bullies,not even that. the female blue devil kept chasing each other and the clowns were also fighting among themselves(notshown in pictures) and also joint attack th yellowtail damsel. now, its tail is gone.

post-14815-0-37463600-1307937116_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Your tank looks over crowded. Fishes are probably fighting for territory. :o

I suggest you move the yellow tail into seperate tank to recover from injuries. Meanwhile, find a bigger tank if you want to keep these fishes.

P.S. Air stone & pump is not for marine tank. Replace it with a hang-on-back filter.

• SRC Member

your tank looks more suited for freshwater than marine and your tank is too small for the fishes that you have put in. :(

Are you doing constant water changes? I see no wave maker and no filtration system at all for the tank!

Airstone is not suitable for marine tank btw.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

i had wanted to make these changes as adviced . my teacher even to me to say bye bye to the fishes if it is carry on like that

i also advice my parents about the fishes long term concern but they said that as so long as the fishes are okay now it should be fine.

• SRC Member

bro, as the others said already :

pls remove the airstone. this is for FW. not sure if the constant bubbles can cause stress to your nemos. also, do you have any filtration ? other than cleaning your system, will give water movement and on the surface give enough oxygen exchange. if not, you shud at least be doing regular water changes and have a wavemaker. for your rocks, maybe try to fix them up also for the fishes to have a place to hide. lastly, reduce your # of fishes ... otherwise, go to a bigger tank. but note for bigger tank, above advises still stands, and better to have filter (and eventually skimmer) IMO. cheers !

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

i had wanted to make these changes as adviced . my teacher even to me to say bye bye to the fishes if it is carry on like that

i also advice my parents about the fishes long term concern but they said that as so long as the fishes are okay now it should be fine.

it's your tank bro ... you should decide what to do with it ... however it is, there should be great focus and concern on the tank's inhabitants.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

Hello everyone,

I didn't want to start a new thread with the same topic, please excuse me while I hijack your thread yongjunzer :ThanxSmiley:

A couple of questions if anyone can help...

1) Does reef hermits and nassarius snails add to the bioload of a tank? What about zooanthids and green star corals?

2) How come some of the pictures of tanks in this forum has the sandbed undulating as if there is another black colour layer underneath? How to achieve that effect? What is that bottom layer?

Thank you.

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.

• 1 month later...

As for now, the yellowtail damsel died , while the the bigger clownfish chases the smaller clownfish most of the

time, and i don"t know what is the reason for chasing also, can anyone tell me why did it chase the

smaller one?

• 2 weeks later...

by the way, can marine fish can be kept without sa protein skimmer and a chiller?

Its possible. Few years back i had a marine fish only tank. It was only 1 gallon with no skimmer or chiller. Had one clown inside and there was no problems. Only thing is that you gotta do weekly water changes.

Regards,

Anonymous2294

As for now, the yellowtail damsel died , while the the bigger clownfish chases the smaller clownfish most of the

time, and i don"t know what is the reason for chasing also, can anyone tell me why did it chase the

smaller one?

as mentioned before, they're probably fighting for territories. damsels are particular on their territories. leave several days in between when introducing fish to the tank. and damsels are to be added prior to clownfish. my pico has roughly the same size as yours, all clownfish & damsels are doing fine

That could be black sand. Over the past two months LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of research has been done and this coupled with several trials and errors the following is a must follow list for anyone who is getting into the hobby with a tank which has a capacity of less then 100 litres:-

1. A skimmer is a must. Either the air driven one or the hang on back which IMO is better.

2. A Chiller is a must unless you are running an air conditioner 24/7. Even if you have a FOWLR the 32 degree temp of the water will affect your fish.

3. On the initial set up please get live rock which is clean and stripped of any living organisms. Best if it looks like nice clean bones with purple splotches (thats your coraline algae, the good stuff)

4. Frequent small partial water changes of 10% whenever you feel that the water is getting a little dirty is good. I change the water every other day or once every two days when i see an oily film on the surface.

5. If you are going to have clownfish in your tank you must put two in at the same time or you will have problems. Maroon clowns are aggressive.

6. Dont leave the tank uncovered. Fish will jump out! Use egg crates if you dont want to use a hood. It seems based on experience that the tendency to jump is only for the first few weeks.

7. Contrary to what is said Gonios are not difficult and make a lovely addition.

8. Leave enough space between your corals so they don't sting each other.

9. Dont ever use actual sea water.

10. MUST use salt mix with RO/DI water and use anti chlorine and anti chloramines as well. Tap water with just the anti Chlorine and RO/DI water without the anti chlorine IMO is not good enough.

11. I have 6 fish and that seems to be the max for my 63 litre.

12. Bioload from Snails etc is not really an issue. They are useful.

13. Feed only once a day. Feed a variety of foods. Mysis shrimp by Hikari, Pellets, flakes etc.

Picture attached!

post-19530-0-89438600-1312915298_thumb.j

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

• SRC Member

That could be black sand. Over the past two months LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of research has been done and this coupled with several trials and errors the following is a must follow list for anyone who is getting into the hobby with a tank which has a capacity of less then 100 litres:-

1. A skimmer is a must. Either the air driven one or the hang on back which IMO is better.

2. A Chiller is a must unless you are running an air conditioner 24/7. Even if you have a FOWLR the 32 degree temp of the water will affect your fish.

3. On the initial set up please get live rock which is clean and stripped of any living organisms. Best if it looks like nice clean bones with purple splotches (thats your coraline algae, the good stuff)

4. Frequent small partial water changes of 10% whenever you feel that the water is getting a little dirty is good. I change the water every other day or once every two days when i see an oily film on the surface.

5. If you are going to have clownfish in your tank you must put two in at the same time or you will have problems. Maroon clowns are aggressive.

6. Dont leave the tank uncovered. Fish will jump out! Use egg crates if you dont want to use a hood. It seems based on experience that the tendency to jump is only for the first few weeks.

7. Contrary to what is said Gonios are not difficult and make a lovely addition.

8. Leave enough space between your corals so they don't sting each other.

9. Dont ever use actual sea water.

10. MUST use salt mix with RO/DI water and use anti chlorine and anti chloramines as well. Tap water with just the anti Chlorine and RO/DI water without the anti chlorine IMO is not good enough.

11. I have 6 fish and that seems to be the max for my 63 litre.

12. Bioload from Snails etc is not really an issue. They are useful.

13. Feed only once a day. Feed a variety of foods. Mysis shrimp by Hikari, Pellets, flakes etc.

Picture attached!

Pls dont mind me, but some of ur MUST have is not really a must have.

Point 1: u do not really need a skimmer for a nano tank if u are keeping the bio-load low and weekly water change is good enough for a small tank.

Point 2: U can use a fan with daily top-up of fresh water to bring down the temp. Not a must to have chiller.

Point 3: What do u mean by dont use actual sea water? So the sea water sold by the LFS cannot be use?

• 5 months later...

by the way, recently, i have kept the fishes for quite some time nalready, and find it relatively okay, but one day, i found the fish was swimming with jerk and it was like quite for awhile until it die. the othe damsel which died long in october also suffer the same problem before it die ,what happened to this fish actually?

Pls dont mind me, but some of ur MUST have is not really a must have.

Point 1: u do not really need a skimmer for a nano tank if u are keeping the bio-load low and weekly water change is good enough for a small tank.

Point 2: U can use a fan with daily top-up of fresh water to bring down the temp. Not a must to have chiller.

Point 3: What do u mean by dont use actual sea water? So the sea water sold by the LFS cannot be use?

+1

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

by the way, recently, i have kept the fishes for quite some time nalready, and find it relatively okay, but one day, i found the fish was swimming with jerk and it was like quite for awhile until it die. the othe damsel which died long in october also suffer the same problem before it die ,what happened to this fish actually?

that's was my experiences when my tank was below 6 months

• 4 weeks later...

post-14815-0-37463600-1307937116_thumb.jpg

Now, there is another setback,on 10 march , i brought home a yellowtail damsel from aquastar,But for at least one -two weeks at first, things are

still fine but suddenly, on the 23march 2012, when i got home one of my clowns was dead. the other clown died shortly after the first one died. the following day24 march, the yellowtail damsel also succumbed to it also. a 10% of water change was being changed on 25 march and another

my father bought 2 ocellaris clowns after the water change. But he 2 clowns did not last long also.Both clowns died on 24-25 march . this time , no water was being changed and on 4th april, my father brought back home a pair of 2 small tomato clowns. at the first few days, evrthing was normal but on the 9th of april, one of it died and the other tomato clown died the next day. this time ,suspected that there was a poisoning in the tank and on the 13th of april just before my father brought back yet another pair of tomato clown,the water was changed 25%.at first the fish was lively the first 2 days.But on Monday 14 April, one of it died suddenly.the next day, another fish died.no water was changed this time. 2 days latter, this time i brought only one clarks clown from aquamarin but the mater gets worse . after the first were relased into the tank, it was at first very lively. but after a while , heavy breathing started to occured on the fish and it died on the same day it was brought.in all cases of death including the clarks , heavy brathing was recorded.So how to troubleshoot this matter ?

First of all, please tell your dad to stop buying any more fish. Settle the water problem first.

Next, test your water. What kind of test kit do you have at home? When everything is dying in the tank, something is definitely wrong.

Can you post a recent photo of your tank showing the filtration equipment too? I hope the airstone is already removed like all the bros & sis here advised.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

Corals: Zoas, Rics, Hammer, Blue & Green Starpolyps.

• 4 weeks later...

after a while for not adding fish,yesterday just added a tomato clown inside. fish died today due to heavy breathing.what is the cause of it? the black color thing beside my rock is the filter.

post-14815-0-19342100-1336802433_thumb.j

You may have your answer why your fish keep dying if you tell us what is your water PH level and salinity. Do this first step to keep your fish alive.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

Corals: Zoas, Rics, Hammer, Blue & Green Starpolyps.