starting a nano tank

s9534891b

You probably gotta use a hang on back filter.. or probably a canister filter for filtration.

i also agree that not much things can put inside. Consider gettin a five plan tank 2 X 1 X 1 probably 50 still got change. If i am not wrong this tank only 1.5 feet nia.

• SRC Member

You tank is way too small to be a decent marine aquarium. Probably in around 5-6 gallons only. Maximum of 2 small fishes or inverts and diligent weekly water changes.

That tank is perfect for Crystal Red Shrimps.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

I am new to to marine hobby,i would like to set up a nano tank as in the picture show here.so is it possible to use this tank as an nano tank?post-14815-092167800 1288188804_thumb.jp

Welcome.

I think your 1st tank can probably be categorized under pico size. So go browse under "Nano Reefs or Pico Reef ?" forum for ideas.

For your bigger tank, pls. compare with glass thickness chart in below link.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/planasystem/ig/Guide-Charts--Tables--Diagrams/Glass-Thickness-Calculator.htm

My cousin used his fresh water tank for marine & got his living room flooded a few days later. It's front glass gave way right in the middle. As expected, no one in the household slept that night. :wacko:

• SRC Member

If can,try not to use five plan tank. Material not 100% glass.

Kinda like plastic material. Imagine u put LR inside,gonna scratch the wall of all side n thinkness is 1 issue also.

:)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

5mm actually this entire setup quite risky but if no other options I will give it a try

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• 3 weeks later...

by the way, can marine fish can be kept without sa protein skimmer and a chiller?

Protein skimmer is to reduce the amount of DOC in the water or in layman terms wastes..

And for a 4ft tank, I dun think a fan unit will be able to cool down the temp for your tank... so a chiller is preferred...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

by the way, can marine fish can be kept without sa protein skimmer and a chiller?

You can keep corals and fish like mine.. without chiller and skimmmer..

Pte msg me if interested, as i provide service for mod fans and lightings e.g Boyu MT40(32litre)

Enjoy the pic..

post-18847-0-26442800-1295683132_thumb.j

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

Without skimmer, you'll need a more frequent water change regime. Based on the tank dimension you provided, you are looking at about 18 liters(10%) of water per change per week.

You'll need to factor in the long term effort, time & material cost. In this hobby, easy maintenance is as important as having clean water. The choice is yours.

Without chiller, yeah, I think it's quite ok.