Please Help ID

• SRC Member

Have quite alot of these in my tank.

All seems to come out on the sand bed during feeding time.(threw in market prawn today)

Any way to clear them?

Tank under cycling.

Thanks! :)

post-12549-006339600 1289056907_thumb.jp

A Little Stress-Relieving Fish Tank

• Senior Reefer

had this problem before.

a pain to remove. they attack your fishes at night when they sleep, and in the morning they drop off. sometimes just before the lights go on you can see them attach to your fishes still.

not harmful in onesies or twosies, but in large amounts can stress your fish.

• SRC Member

had this problem before.

a pain to remove. they attack your fishes at night when they sleep, and in the morning they drop off. sometimes just before the lights go on you can see them attach to your fishes still.

not harmful in onesies or twosies, but in large amounts can stress your fish.

Thanks! removed quite a number of them last nite when the lights were off. Threw some mysis and they all came out. Netted quite a number of them. Some dived into the sand so guess will have to spend a few OT nites to get as many of them out...

• SRC Member

totally know how you feel man.. maybe for your case you can try to build some kind of trap.

Good thing i am in the process of cycling my tank. So put market prawns in some essence of chicken jars.

These fellows do latch onto the market prawn, and i managed to get a few of them out this way.

And i also got 6 bonus crabs so far. Haha..

• SRC Member

hmm might sound overkill.. but would u wanna consider draining all your water out and put freshwater in to 1 shot kill all these parasites/crabs? den re-cycle the process again, more secure in a way, but of cos there's the downside of killing everything good too. just a thought. :)

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

• Senior Reefer

almost impossible to kill them using freshwater because they hide deep in the rocks and sand. it will be alot of trouble doing so.

manually catching and siphoning is the best way especially at night.

tedious but faster and do-able.

• SRC Member

Not to sound negative but it's likely that some will survive to re-populate unless you do a complete sterilization. Otherwise, keep baiting and catching. You might eventually get them all.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer

you will eventually get them all.

i started with about 15 isopods every night.

after 3 weeks, no more till this day.

having some fishes will help. fishes do eat them as they swim around in the evening and night. however, they do parasitise on fishes too.

so it's a double edged sword.

• SRC Member

you will eventually get them all.

i started with about 15 isopods every night.

after 3 weeks, no more till this day.

having some fishes will help. fishes do eat them as they swim around in the evening and night. however, they do parasitise on fishes too.

so it's a double edged sword.

Yup Yup, seems like its getting lesser by the day, or have they become smarter??? Haha

Will probably only add a fish after 2 weeks, now just into the first week or cycling...

• Sponsor

Yup Yup, seems like its getting lesser by the day, or have they become smarter??? Haha

Will probably only add a fish after 2 weeks, now just into the first week or cycling...

it's actually very easy to get these little fellas out. .. And in your case, a very good timing as the tank is in cycling stage.

Simply get a few small Kunning fish from the wet market or ntuc.

Cut it diagonally from behind it's head down to where the stomach end.

Place it in the tank bottom and give the head a little squeeze.

This will release a trail of blood into the current.

Now sit back with a net in hand and watch.

The smell of blood will send them out of their hideout and swarm towards the fish carcass.

Soon you will see them boring into the fish eyes, stomach and all over.

Once a good number of them are sucking madly away, simply net out the fish carcass and all.

Do not wait for all to go in as those inside the fish will swim out once it's filled. About 2 to 3 minute waiting will do.

Have fun :)

SIGNATURE-Asta120SpirulinaGarlicReefMedi

Join us on Facebook! 

henry'sreefgourmet - your fish, corals and critters will love it!

Goodbye!PO4 - your simple, highly effective and low cost method to phosphate control

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Tel : 6777 4047
Mobile : 9843 6032

Operating Hours:
Mondays : 3pm - 8pm
Tues - Sat : 12.30pm - 8pm

Sundays : Closed

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

• SRC Member

Happen to see many cocoon-like brown thingy on my sand bed and on the rocks.

Can anyone advise what are these?

Looks very much like fish poo.

i only have a tail spot blenny in the tank.

post-12549-037677700 1289479213_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...