Glass Thickness Inquiry

• SRC Member

Hi bros ! Haven been out for quite sometime, but my tank is still very much alive :superman:

Anyway, I have a CADE Optic-White, 24 x 15 x 15, and thickness is 6mm. I've checked the online calculators and turns out this thickness is still 'safe'. Just want to get inputs from your experiences.

The tank is new, and I'm planning to migrate my almost 1.5 cube into this very soon.

Thanks. Cheers ! :thanks:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

Hi bros ! Haven been out for quite sometime, but my tank is still very much alive :superman:

Anyway, I have a CADE Optic-White, 24 x 15 x 15, and thickness is 6mm. I've checked the online calculators and turns out this thickness is still 'safe'. Just want to get inputs from your experiences.

The tank is new, and I'm planning to migrate my almost 1.5 cube into this very soon.

Thanks. Cheers ! :thanks:

IMHO...to be safe minimum 8mm for marine :evil: .

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

Always have some allowance to play with.More is better than not enough.

Somemore such thing cannot play play. Once break free that's it!!!

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Cade Opti-white tanks are rather well constructed, so there shouldn't be a problem. Some inspiration for you...

post-13914-000638400 1291440911_thumb.jp

Here's the to his tank. It has long been deccommed though. I believe he is fully focused on planted tanks now. I missed his reef tank updates.

• SRC Member

Always have some allowance to play with. More is better than not enough.

Somemore such thing cannot play play. Once break free that's it!!!

Thanks for the input bro. I guess not much option now since I already have the tank :mellow:

Cade Opti-white tanks are rather well constructed, so there shouldn't be a problem. Some inspiration for you...

Here's the to his tank. It has long been deccommed though. I believe he is fully focused on planted tanks now. I missed his reef tank updates.

Thanks bro. Yeah that's a nice tank. Early this year i actually tried going into planted, but I guess in the end I still prefered reefing. I also checked and found some reefers using this tank as well as ada 6mm tanks, so I guess i'll give it a try.

Plan to migrate my old tank into this next week. Will just start a new thread by then. :eyebrow:

Cheers !

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Thanks bro. Yeah that's a nice tank. Early this year i actually tried going into planted, but I guess in the end I still prefered reefing. I also checked and found some reefers using this tank as well as ada 6mm tanks, so I guess i'll give it a try.

Plan to migrate my old tank into this next week. Will just start a new thread by then. :eyebrow:

Cheers !

Looking forward to it. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Just keep a lookout to see if the tank bows. I used to have a 48"x18"x18" 6mm tank which I used for marine. When the bowing became too obvious I quickly got a new tank done. :)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

It really depends on the workmanship of the tank. Even with 10mm thickness and thick silicon, the glass can bulge if it is poorly constructed. On the other hand, there are plenty of reefers in other countries who use 6mm thick ADA tanks have no issues as the tank maker is well reputed.

• SRC Member

bwilly, fuel, peace, thanks bros for the inputs :thumbsup:

so far doing good, i've completed migrating the tank already. and yeah, monitoring now for any signs (leaks, bowing), and have emergency tub ready (provided it doesn't suddenly burst !). to be on the safe side i did not fill up the tank as much as i did for my acrylic. this cade tank seems to be built pretty good, looks quite similar to ada.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

I used to have nightmare when I was reefing.

The pump not working.. salt water all over the living room in the old house.

Call from my mum that the tank is leaking or pump not working...

Now my current place is on marble, can't imagaine how it will be..