WTS Yellow Pyramid Butterfly

• Senior Reefer

yellow pyramid butterfly eating your LPS?

this is the first time i've heard of a pyramid butterfly eating LPS.

you sure it's actually eating eating and destroying the coral? or just nipping around for food and not destroying the coral. are you feeding it enough?

pyramid butterflies, for many years, have been known to be the only group of butterflies that are 100% reef safe because of their strict diet of zooplankton in the wild.

i guess there's an exception for everything..

• Senior Reefer

yeap quite sure. i fed him everyday, in fact he eats the most in my tank. The day i place the brain coral in, he started to show interest in it. then soon later he kinda just nip at it once in a while and the brian coral just doesn't open up big.

oh. interesting.

but it did not actually eat the flesh of the brain right? just nip at it.

probably eating the mucus of the coral. if the coral was injured when you bought it, it will also trigger certian butterflies to go crazy and eat it.

anyway a misfortunate event and so sorry that your butterfly experience had turned out for the worst. even though the pyramid is the safest of all butterflies.

up for your sale!

• SRC Member

sometimes these meaty corals are too tempting for them to resist...but this is the 1st time i hear abt pyramid butterflies nipping on meaty LPS...must have taste like steak after first bite...its just like a vegetarian monk who decides to try chilli crab one day

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi Alex5,

I was interested in you butterfly eating corals, I looked up butterflies in a book by Julian Sprung... he quoted that all butterfly are(NOT TO BE TRUSTED) Copper Bands that we think are somewhere reef safe aren't really, I have a friend that got a copper band and was told it's reef safe, now her donuts are only the hole, he's picked at all of her corals killing most. Sprung also quotes that once a butterfly take his first bit on corals it's like AhSiang said... insanity sets in...

Good luck and I hope you sell him fast.