Remove all rock to catch fishes?

mengyang_neo

Hi guy,

I have a aglae blenny fish that is moving like a tank and knock down a lot of my frag. I tried to catch or trap it but it dun fall for it. Thinking of removing all the rock and coral in my tank, catch the fish then put back all the rock. I have mostly zoa and SPS, will the SPS be affected by this move? Anyone done that before? :ThanxSmiley:

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

hahaha, have u tried glueing the frags instead?

Yup all the frag is glue onto the rock but the blenny like to force in between frag or rest on it, causing them to fall off. :thumbdown: Sian. :(

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)

Hi guy,

I have a aglae blenny fish that is moving like a tank and knock down a lot of my frag. I tried to catch or trap it but it dun fall for it. Thinking of removing all the rock and coral in my tank, catch the fish then put back all the rock. I have mostly zoa and SPS, will the SPS be affected by this move? Anyone done that before? :ThanxSmiley:

I tend to agree with dieran_green, glue 'em. Any time you do any major aqua scaping such as you have suggested, you run the risk of upsetting and stressing the inhabitants.

Clownfish and Rare Clownfish are my favorite fish.

Hi guy,

I tend to agree with dieran_green, glue 'em. Any time you do any major aqua scaping such as you have suggested, you run the risk of upsetting and stressing the inhabitants.

Try a better brand and or stronger glue :)

I'm curious to know how you managed 3 pairs of Clownfish in the same tank without incident.

i) may I ask; how old and how big they are, clarkii,perc and saddleback.

ii) is each pair hosted by a nem.

• SRC Member

hey bro, the last time i tried to catch my algae blenny out,

i was lucky to find its resting place,

on top of my frag rack :chair:

about 3hours after lights out,

with my net ready in one hand, already partially submerged in the water,

i turned on the lights and net it out..

it had no time to react...

after i put him into the sump,

he was still in a daze..

but the problem is finding his sleeping spot..

which might be quite difficult for a 5ft tank like yours..

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

Yup this is what I fear also, so I seeing if anyone done that before.

Try a better brand and or stronger glue :)

I'm curious to know how you managed 3 pairs of Clownfish in the same tank without incident.

i) may I ask; how old and how big they are, clarkii,perc and saddleback.

ii) is each pair hosted by a nem.

All the 3 pair been with me close to a years, clarkii and saddleback around 3inch and perc around 2 inch. Actually they do chase each other once in a while but not a big issue.

hey bro, the last time i tried to catch my algae blenny out,

i was lucky to find its resting place,

on top of my frag rack :chair:

about 3hours after lights out,

with my net ready in one hand, already partially submerged in the water,

i turned on the lights and net it out..

it had no time to react...

after i put him into the sump,

he was still in a daze..

but the problem is finding his sleeping spot..

which might be quite difficult for a 5ft tank like yours..

Actually the resting place for my blenny is in between the rock so quite hard to catch it out. Sian. The easiest should be to remove everything and catch then put it back. But I scared the water parameter will be disturb and the sps go up the lorry. :rip:

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

Yup this is what I fear also, so I seeing if anyone done that before.

All the 3 pair been with me close to a years, clarkii and saddleback around 3inch and perc around 2 inch. Actually they do chase each other once in a while but not a big issue.

Does each pair have a favorite spot or do they jostle for territorial rights

• SRC Member

Hi guy,

hi u can ask solo77 how he catches almost all his angels without moving a rock within one night...

i would prefer to leave the blenny alone.. not worth catching a blenny and upset ur tank especially with SPS.

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

when i was clearing my fishes in my 2ft, i took out all my rocks in the tank before catching them. the bulk of my corals were sps.

with a rock free tank, it took less than a minute before all the fishes were caught and after which the rocks with the corals went back in. so to speak the corals (sps in particular) spent about less than 5 minutes out of water and weren't affected by at all. water perimeters stayed the same too :)

Does each pair have a favorite spot or do they jostle for territorial rights

Yup the clarkii and saddleback take the left and right, only perc dun have a place, they will just swim around.

hi u can ask solo77 how he catches almost all his angels without moving a rock within one night...

i would prefer to leave the blenny alone.. not worth catching a blenny and upset ur tank especially with SPS.

Wow that is cool. maybe will pm him for the method.

when i was clearing my fishes in my 2ft, i took out all my rocks in the tank before catching them. the bulk of my corals were sps.

with a rock free tank, it took less than a minute before all the fishes were caught and after which the rocks with the corals went back in. so to speak the corals (sps in particular) spent about less than 5 minutes out of water and weren't affected by at all. water perimeters stayed the same too :)

I see, hee u have give me the courage to remove all the rock and catch the fish. Btw bro u r keep a fishless tank correct? Is it good for the SPS? I mean if it is good then when I am removing the rock maybe can catch all. lol.

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• SRC Supporter

it is always and still not recommended to remove all rocks and remove that fish.

alot of us including myself often do that in the past.

however, since dealing with blenny, they tend to sneak into holes.

this is 1 fella that is easier to handle.

if u have the time and patient,

1) put a betta box into ur tank with a small pvc pipe.

2) leave it 1 end open and the other close and place food inside tte box only when feeding.

3) leave it there for afew days

4) allow most fishes to go in and out as and when they like.

5) very soon the blenny will go in and enjoy. as its a new place it will be very cautious although other fishes going in and out encourages it to think its safe.

6) after a few attempts for it to go in and out as usual,

7) 1 fine day, use a net or a cover.. when feeding and it goes in, cover the opening and u will get him.

use only cover that will cover the exit. not those sliding cover where u release and it will close. they often fAIL.

do not fail as the next time to get the fella to trust the box is very long later.

good luck!

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

I see, hee u have give me the courage to remove all the rock and catch the fish. Btw bro u r keep a fishless tank correct? Is it good for the SPS? I mean if it is good then when I am removing the rock maybe can catch all. lol.

yeap i do keep my fishless (for now at least :heh: )

pros:

- no fish to knock down loosely glued sps

- polyps open up more as there's nothing sitting on them, nipping on them etc

- i can take my time and do feedings with foods like cyclop-eeze on individual sps

- no risk of ever putting your net in to catch anything (cause there's nothing to catch) which may cause unintentional fragging or breaking of sps

- i can go open top concept with no fear of any precious fish jumping out and causing you grief when you lose them

- the concept of the rockscape now does not need to include free swimming space thus more coral space

- nitrates and phosphates easily at 0

- money spent on fishes can be saved, meaning more sps

cons:

- no fish poo to feed corals

- algae (if any) removal may be more difficult

- nothing swimming around getting your attention or greeting you when you walk up to your tank

- pods become your new best friend as they are the only thing that moves most :lol:

some of my opinions :)